ADS amp on ebay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found an STK for my blaupunkt in the UK, price was good too. Unfortunately the amp is still all wacked after I tossed it in and I got onto more important things. Need to get back to it. The old STK shorted rail to speaker but would blow fuse. Now it works but offset is huge or something and no music comes out. Only good part is there are few other parts in the amp compared to typical. I ran that thing silly at 2 ohms on subs for years, can't blame it a bit.

Hard to tell from those pics. In the Blaupunkt you can't miss the huge STKs, and pretty sure it has BJTs in the PS. I can't make out a long row of leads like the STK has in those photos. The two STK and PS driver are the only ICs in the Blaupunkt. There was a larger A/D/S that had a channel out or something I nearly bought a while back. IIRC it may have gone for ~75 but was more than 2 channels.

A plate 120 like it:

Another A/D/S that's rated for less power into 2 ohms than 4.

I had one years back and it did use STK's, can't seem to remember which ones. Heck, I may still have it somewhere. I do still have a broken P40 that's a nice looking discrete amp.

Again, the 120's not a bad amp, it sounded nice, and probably worth the current bid + shipping, but not a whole lot more.

IMHO, of course.

I've seen some other amps that sucked back in the day that went for big money. I do not get it.

Well, remember that this P120 was made in the early 80's (Intro in '83, IIRC). There still weren't a plethora of car amps out there, especially in the 60Wx2 class. That's when the Arizona mfr's and Zed got the monster amp jump on almost everyone.

So even though it was pricey, it had the A/D/S pedigree, looked expensive and was sold alongside the legendary 300i's. It wasn't a bad amp, but there were a couple others that were as good or better for less money.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.