Are there any headunits with digital out? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th March 2008, 07:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Are there any headunits with digital out?

I want to use a DCX 2496 for time delay and crossover in my car.

I was thinking it would be better to use a digital connection of I could.

Are there any headunits that have digital out, or is there any way of getting digital out from my existing headunit with a bit of soldering??
Old 25th March 2008, 08:02 PM   #2
shagone is offline shagone  United States
diyAudio Member

i remember some nice older sony mobile ES units had digital outs i think but i'm not sure if they only linked to propriatary sony dsp units. there were also some pioneer premiere units that had digital outs if i'm not mistaken.

look for high end older units if you want a deal.

on the other hand if your head unit has nice 24 bit burr brown d/a converters you may be better off going analog out.
Old 29th March 2008, 05:04 AM   #3
jpruden is offline jpruden  United States
diyAudio Member

The Sony ES units used a coaxial connector that linked to a XA-D210/211 adapter that provided a normal TOSLINK connector for linking to *anything* that uses optical video connections.

If I'm remembering correctly, the connector was the standard RCA type, so you might be able to make it work with the Behringer unit.
Old 29th March 2008, 03:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jpruden
The Sony ES units used a coaxial connector that linked to a XA-D210/211 adapter that provided a normal TOSLINK connector for linking to *anything* that uses optical video connections.

If I'm remembering correctly, the connector was the standard RCA type, so you might be able to make it work with the Behringer unit.
Thanks, I'll have a look at the ES units.

Right now I'm using the optical out from my iRiver h140 which goes to a toslink to coax (spdif) converter. It works like a charm, it just seems silly using an iriver in my car... A headunit with optical out would be exellent, as it will eliminate ground looks which is just as well as I'm powering the DCX thru an inverter (not ideal I know, but I use the DCX out of the the car also).
Old 29th March 2008, 03:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Nakamichi MB100

This unit had an outboard D/A. I seem to recall an old McIntosh that did also.

C
Old 30th March 2008, 09:04 PM   #6
ca90ss is offline ca90ss  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ca90ss Send a message via MSN to ca90ss Send a message via Yahoo to ca90ss
http://www.turboegt.com/Audio/Car%20...al_outpu-f.htm
Old 31st March 2008, 12:21 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ca90ss
http://www.turboegt.com/Audio/Car%20...al_outpu-f.htm
Wow, this almost too good to be true. Thanks for the link.

I think I'll go for this route- I do like my current HU as it's plays OGGs from an SD card, and there aren't many other units that do this.

EDIT: Is there a maximum length a TOSLINK cable can be? I'm tempted to have the DCX in the boot as I have next to no room up the front...
Old 31st March 2008, 04:09 AM   #8
ca90ss is offline ca90ss  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ca90ss Send a message via MSN to ca90ss Send a message via Yahoo to ca90ss
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeHunt79

EDIT: Is there a maximum length a TOSLINK cable can be? I'm tempted to have the DCX in the boot as I have next to no room up the front...

I've seen some toslink cables that are 100' so you should be fine with the DCX in the trunk.
Old 31st March 2008, 01:17 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ca90ss

I've seen some toslink cables that are 100' so you should be fine with the DCX in the trunk.
Nice, I've ordered a 2m long toslink cable also, along with chassis connectors. Hopefully I should be able to get the digital out from my existing HU.
Old 1st April 2008, 03:50 PM   #10
240z4u is offline 240z4u  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to 240z4u
FYI some eclipse decks are digital out too.

Good luck with your project.

Hide this!Advertise here!