power consumption of "off" head unit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
does anyone know how much current is drawn from a head unit when it is off?? (just to keep the memory)

i want to run my head unit off a computer power supply, but i need to make a plan with (probably) batteries to hold the memory of the frontloader. it is going to be portable so it won't be plugged in all the time.

Yes, you should probably see somewhere between 25-50mA (.025-.050 A) on average. Just my experience with it.

That's one of the useful bits of information to have when troubleshooting a vehicle in which the battery keeps getting drained. Some customers would never believe it wasn't the head unit draining it until I proved it (and had a number to start with for the typical current draw).

Note: I do mean truly off, when ONLY the BATT wire has voltage applied, not the ACC wire too.

ok thanks guys.

as i said i want to have a battery hooked up to keep the memory - i once did an experiment with a capacitor (my old car had a bad battery so the HU's memory would get lost sometimes when starting) connected to the batt wire. the cap dropped down to about 1V (in my test) and then i turned the radio on and the memory was still there.

So i want to parallel some rechargeable batteries (which will be charged when the radio is plugged in) and connect them to the radio. do you think it would work??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.