db6501 too harsh is there anythng I can do?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, I recently bought the db6501 components and I know they are not the highest quality but many people have given them some bold reviews that attracted me to buy them. That being said, I am not happy with the highs that they are putting out. It is too harsh when listening at louder volumes. I have a feeling this is coming from my headunit and not necessarily the speakers. I have an Alpine CDA-9856 and it does not offer much EQ adjustment (treble and bass). The speakers are being powered by a Profile AP600 amp ( and yes i know this is not the best either). I am wondering if upgrading to the Alpine 9887 will offer me a silkier sound or am I stuck with harsh highs. Please let me know what I can do....

Thanks in advance...

:)

highs can be tamed by experimenting with different value non polar capacitors such 2.2uf, 3.3uf, 4.7uf,6.7uf atleast 50 volt rating... the lower the value the softer it usually is. (if i remember correctly)

see if the passive crossover has a db attenuation switch on it for the tweets...it may be inside.

but sometimes the tweeters are just naturally hash.

give it a shot.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.