Car Audio systems... according to Tonkins...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I also see that car audio competitions are mainly about db's and bass output.

This may be true for the events you've attended or heard about but couldn't be further from the truth for the events we used to attend/compete in. They generally had a 3-way format with cars being judged for sound quality, installation quality, and RTA result. The weighted scores were combined and the final score was how you placed vs others in your class. A couple of good events could gain you an invite to Nationals where the big money was. The bass monsters were usually only there to compete in the SPL contest at the end of the event.

You'd be amazed at the listening ear judges use to evaluate sound quality using standard reference material. They're no bozos and can accurately evaluate a soundstage, detect colorations, determine timbre accuracy etc.

this is response to rudy, if you dont believe that car amps can deliver 1000+ watts continous you are obviously unexperienced in car amps. Alot of competitors use 0000 ga and i guarantee you, there will not be .1 ohm resistance in the cable. using a alternator as an example of voltage is incorrect bc even at 5000+rpm the best alts will deliver 100amps, which is never enough, so you must estimate from the car batt--around 12.5volts. if you realy would like to see what professional installers and compeietors do, visit the forum on termpro.com and check out what they are doing. it is not uncommon to see setups that deliver 8000 amps.. Amps, not watts i am talking about. just as an example, check out this review on an MMATS amp,

http://carsound.com/reviews/amps/d300hc.html

1748 watts into a 2ohm reactive load.

for some reason many home audio gurus dont believe car audio can deliver big power :rolleyes:

zx3chris is exactly right.
I mentioned in one of my previous posts that altinators arn't allowed to be used when doing an SPL burp eg. engines off.
so unless you've got dual 8v batteries, which is very common now days, battery voltage is usually at ~12v. Batteries are made for SPL comps with a very little internal resistance and high short term output.

As far as continuous listening power goes, 500wrms is enough to satisfy most people and still being able to come out with your alternator intact and battery charged.
Cabling is also very important, anything over 110 amps genrally requires 0 gauge cable from the battery to the amp so a small voltage drop is obtained. Farad caps are also common in aiding voltage drop at the amplifier end and smoothing hum.

It's more of a science than you first think. Noone hands you a car sound system that sounds like a 747 flying over the top of you.

response amp

regarding quality of re/sponse amp, I've had experience with it once, it is very hissy(noisy) my friend(the owner) throw it away, he went for sony amp, much better,cleaner. This was 2-3 years ago.

there's no perfect amp, for quality you have to pay the price, just make sure that the product is worth buying though.

also important :if you're going to use it near rated full power for long period, make sure the amp can handle it, not only for 15 minutes or so.

just my 2 oz cents :nod:

zx3chris said:
... it is not uncommon to see setups that deliver 8000 amps.. Amps, not watts i am talking about.

for the answer for the 1000W+ , i was talking for normal car situation, but then again, still don't buy te fakts you pointed out to me, and the forum, wel a very big lol. And for the amp, its kind of funny that only 4 gauge cable is used for the power supply and then 8 gauge for speaker connections, kinda thought it might be better the other way around.

i hope you were joking, right ????

do you have any idee wat 8000 AMPS is ....

80 amps i believe, 800A now way out of a car, 8000 Amps ... does it exist outside labs where they use superconductors( yes, the liquid stuff ), dont really think sow.

my 2 cents of experience ....
8000 amps in a cable means that every metal object within 1m would be most likely destroyed by the magnetic field, all your creditcards would be unuseble and your watch would be broken.
Actually if there would be any sharp metal object in the car it would actually kill sombody who was sitting between the cable an the object. I think you guys do underestimate the power and values of amps .....

Greetz Rudy

no i mean 8000 amps. obvisouly you have no experience with db drag racing. wires are using but copper bus bars and yes the magnetic field is so high that the sides of the vans used are reinforeced with concrete so they dont bend..

read termpro.com and learn before you make yourlsef look even dumber

-chris

zx3chris said:
no i mean 8000 amps. obvisouly you have no experience with db drag racing. wires are using but copper bus bars and yes the magnetic field is so high that the sides of the vans used are reinforeced with concrete so they dont bend..

read termpro.com and learn before you make yourlsef look even dumber

-chris

HAHA you suck....

are we talking 8000amps of current from the battery/something? even at 50% efficiency thats 52,000WATTS!!! even if your sub will handle 2000watts thats 26 SUBS!!! lol your funny.. :D If each sub requires a minimum box is 30 litres, thats 780litres.... or a box nearly 1 metre by 1 meter by 1 meter..... and then you need the amps... :p lol plus more.. lol and there is no way a sub is going to take 2000watts in a sealed box....

Never mind me, if you believe you get 8000Amps in a car then go ahead, but don't think i believe any of this.

The drag contests are 1 big showoff, *** are the numbers of db they use and even the manufacturers of the material are giving specifications for some amps / bat's / cables that aren't even invented yet.

Sow please get a grip ITS NOT POSSIBEL

Greetz Rudy ( tired off discussing )

why do you think its not possible?? sorry if you are offended by everytime i post on this forum i get responses from people who are so arrogant it makes me want to vomit.. Seriously, you know nothing of this subject--dont just think it cant happen bc you dont know anything about it. and yes, it is one big show off. just like drag racing or any kind of extreme sport... its not practical to have a car that loud, but it is simply a loudness competition. some of the cars weigh 10's of thousands of lbs due to all the sound dampening, have over 20 alternators and 100 of batteries.

-chris

zx3chris said:
why do you think its not possible?? sorry if you are offended by everytime i post on this forum i get responses from people who are so arrogant it makes me want to vomit.. Seriously, you know nothing of this subject--dont just think it cant happen bc you dont know anything about it. and yes, it is one big show off. just like drag racing or any kind of extreme sport... its not practical to have a car that loud, but it is simply a loudness competition. some of the cars weigh 10's of thousands of lbs due to all the sound dampening, have over 20 alternators and 100 of batteries.

-chris

lol, your funny.. :) If you wanted the loudest system, you wouldn't use only 12volt batteries... you would use batteries for the amplifier rails... :) lots of batteries in series to get lots of volts... not lots of amps.. :D see... so, only a really STUPID arrogant person would need 8000amps.. lol

yet another example of you guys talking about stuff you dont know about.. listen. like an compeietion there are rules. the rules in db drag racing is the car's system voltage can not be above 17.9volts dc measured at the alt's/batteries. in order to get more power you need lotsa amps obvisouly, and to minimize voltage drops 2"x2" (or larger) solid copper bus bars are used. here is an example of a car that has a decent amout of work done.. 72000 watts continous

http://www.termpro.com/asp/competitorstats.asp?Competitor_ID=3192

and if youd like to see a video of what 170db does to a car, check here

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/ScottieJBrahmasBreakingDoors.wmv

although many people on this board are knowledgeable when it comes to how to build amps, and speakers etc... you all dont know jack when it comes to db drag racing---so please tell me another one.

-chris

Chris...I would like to say thanks for your posts...we all have opinions and beliefs...nobody here is saying your an idiot and its good to see someone active with current events ....I was involved with IASCA 10 years ago and designed some nice systems....anyways dont refrain from posting...the forums are for this.

Cheers!!The DIRT®

its not 170db in the room... it is inside the van which are usually damped with tons of concrete--if any sound gets out, its sound that isnt inside---so they go thru alot to keep it in there.. the windows are all 2-3" plexi glass. and yes 8000 watts per sub. thermal ratings on subs are for long term performance, if you 'burp' the sub for 1/2 second, they can take quite a bit and not overheat---especially if they are desgined for high excursion/spl subs---check out the DD 9515 sub

-chris

zx3chris said:
its not 170db in the room... it is inside the van which are usually damped with tons of concrete--if any sound gets out, its sound that isnt inside---so they go thru alot to keep it in there.. the windows are all 2-3" plexi glass. and yes 8000 watts per sub. thermal ratings on subs are for long term performance, if you 'burp' the sub for 1/2 second, they can take quite a bit and not overheat---especially if they are desgined for high excursion/spl subs---check out the DD 9515 sub

-chris

Yes, I believe you, I just like arguing... its pretty pointless though you know.. lol and more subs with the same total power would be louder..... umm, also, what frequency are those 9 15inch Brahmas played at? cos thats another point.. lol and, the cabin of that vehicle is soo small.. lol :)

is it anymore stupid than investing 10's of thousands of dollars in a car to drive solely down a striaght 1/4 mile track?? it is a sport, and just like any sport there are people who enjoy doing it and enjoy watching it -- and its not easy. different ppl enjoy different things. i dont believe they shoudl be bashed for that

-chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.