Car Audio systems... according to Tonkins... - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th April 2003, 12:15 PM   #31
Banned

Send a message via MSN to SkinnyBoy
Quote:
Originally posted by zx3chris
why do you think its not possible?? sorry if you are offended by everytime i post on this forum i get responses from people who are so arrogant it makes me want to vomit.. Seriously, you know nothing of this subject--dont just think it cant happen bc you dont know anything about it. and yes, it is one big show off. just like drag racing or any kind of extreme sport... its not practical to have a car that loud, but it is simply a loudness competition. some of the cars weigh 10's of thousands of lbs due to all the sound dampening, have over 20 alternators and 100 of batteries.

-chris

lol, your funny.. If you wanted the loudest system, you wouldn't use only 12volt batteries... you would use batteries for the amplifier rails... lots of batteries in series to get lots of volts... not lots of amps.. see... so, only a really STUPID arrogant person would need 8000amps.. lol
Old 26th April 2003, 09:20 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to zx3chris
yet another example of you guys talking about stuff you dont know about.. listen. like an compeietion there are rules. the rules in db drag racing is the car's system voltage can not be above 17.9volts dc measured at the alt's/batteries. in order to get more power you need lotsa amps obvisouly, and to minimize voltage drops 2"x2" (or larger) solid copper bus bars are used. here is an example of a car that has a decent amout of work done.. 72000 watts continous

http://www.termpro.com/asp/competito...etitor_ID=3192

and if youd like to see a video of what 170db does to a car, check here

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/Scot...akingDoors.wmv

although many people on this board are knowledgeable when it comes to how to build amps, and speakers etc... you all dont know jack when it comes to db drag racing---so please tell me another one.

-chris
Old 28th April 2003, 04:02 AM   #33
Banned

Sure.... 72,000watts Sure... 170dB sure....
The camera lens would shatter and the guy would be killed....
Old 28th April 2003, 04:12 AM   #34
Banned

hmm... 8,000watts per sub.... lol
Old 28th April 2003, 05:32 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Chris...I would like to say thanks for your posts...we all have opinions and beliefs...nobody here is saying your an idiot and its good to see someone active with current events ....I was involved with IASCA 10 years ago and designed some nice systems....anyways dont refrain from posting...the forums are for this.

Cheers!!The DIRT®
Old 28th April 2003, 07:45 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

its not 170db in the room... it is inside the van which are usually damped with tons of concrete--if any sound gets out, its sound that isnt inside---so they go thru alot to keep it in there.. the windows are all 2-3" plexi glass. and yes 8000 watts per sub. thermal ratings on subs are for long term performance, if you 'burp' the sub for 1/2 second, they can take quite a bit and not overheat---especially if they are desgined for high excursion/spl subs---check out the DD 9515 sub

-chris
Old 29th April 2003, 01:00 AM   #37
Banned

Quote:
its not 170db in the room... it is inside the van which are usually damped with tons of concrete--if any sound gets out, its sound that isnt inside---so they go thru alot to keep it in there.. the windows are all 2-3" plexi glass. and yes 8000 watts per sub. thermal ratings on subs are for long term performance, if you 'burp' the sub for 1/2 second, they can take quite a bit and not overheat---especially if they are desgined for high excursion/spl subs---check out the DD 9515 sub

-chris

Yes, I believe you, I just like arguing... its pretty pointless though you know.. lol and more subs with the same total power would be louder..... umm, also, what frequency are those 9 15inch Brahmas played at? cos thats another point.. lol and, the cabin of that vehicle is soo small.. lol
Old 29th April 2003, 02:09 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

the frequency chosen is usually the resonant frequency of the cabin and usually around 40-50hz, anyway u can stretch a few db is the way to go. this isnt for music--its a loudness competition

-chris
Old 29th April 2003, 04:02 AM   #39
Banned

Quote:
this isnt for music--its a loudness competition

-chris

I know... and its stupid.. lol
Old 29th April 2003, 04:51 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

is it anymore stupid than investing 10's of thousands of dollars in a car to drive solely down a striaght 1/4 mile track?? it is a sport, and just like any sport there are people who enjoy doing it and enjoy watching it -- and its not easy. different ppl enjoy different things. i dont believe they shoudl be bashed for that

-chris

Hide this!Advertise here!