Car Audio systems... according to Tonkins...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SkinnyBoy said:

I know... and its stupid.. lol

Geez SkinnyBoy, back off some! Chris is right, it's just the same as a drag car, or any kind of race car. Heck, most of them cost over a million bucks, none of which you can drive on the street.

As for all the altenators and batteries, with car audio, amperage and steady voltage is everything. Without either one, the amps will not operate at peak performance, hence, lower power output. Plus, if the voltage is lower than it should be, the amps can easily overheat and shut down.

And yes, you can "burp" 1000's of watts into a driver only capable of handling say...800 to 1000 watts. Since the driver is rated for 800 to 1000 watts continuious, you can dump way more power than that than one might think within just a 1/2 second or so without any damage to the driver or voice coil.

You ask "why don't they just add a few more drivers?". Well, for that type of driver, and that size of vehicle, they have to keep the tuned frequency for the airspace required both in the enclosure and vehicle.

Just like you couldn't take a 2 cu ft box with a 12" driver in it, and then add another identical driver to that same box, and make it louder just by doing that. You would end up throughing the whole tuning and airspace of that box out of wack, and probably loose a couple dB in the process.

zx3chris said:
is it anymore stupid than investing 10's of thousands of dollars in a car to drive solely down a striaght 1/4 mile track?? it is a sport, and just like any sport there are people who enjoy doing it and enjoy watching it -- and its not easy. different ppl enjoy different things. i dont believe they shoudl be bashed for that

-chris

Hey, I wasn't bashing, I am entilted to my opinion, as are you.. :)

I know what you are saying.. :) but a car is more fun (once again my opinion..lol)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.