in need of some PPI ceramic driver modules - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2008, 07:44 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default in need of some PPI ceramic driver modules

3 days ago, I've been given 3 PPI art series amps, and they are:
1 A600.2
1 A600, and
1 AX400

However, I noticed that the ceramic driver modules are all MISSING!!
I want to revive them and need 6 driver modules.
Can anyone help me??
Old 21st February 2008, 09:24 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Correction!!
I need 8 modules......
Old 21st February 2008, 03:54 PM   #3
djQUAN is offline djQUAN  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to djQUAN Send a message via Yahoo to djQUAN
same problem here..... for a PC2100 amp.

if all else fails, anyone got a schematic of the driver cards?
Old 21st February 2008, 06:19 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

1moreamp had some (if I'm not mistaken) and there was another supplier in Asia. He's the one who posted the following schematic.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...amp=1170949161
Old 21st February 2008, 06:27 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well hello boys.. I hear your having problems with itty bitty ceramic cards???

In most cases all you need to do is resolder each contact on these and they will be repaired. PPI had heat issues with these, and they tend to desolder themselves.

Now there are some secrets here:
1: do NOT use flux of any kind it attacks the pad material and the pad will never take solder again.

2: all the devices on these are commonly available, and unless your thick film resistors on the ceramic background are burnt the replacement of bad devices is a option. I have done this and it works but it takes time and patience.

3: careful about how much heat and for how long. it should just be a touch up nothing drastic involved with heat and time.

Now if you are still in need, perhaps I can get some of these below out of the build shop for you, but time is a issue here..

Attached Images
File Type: jpg compare front.jpg (71.6 KB, 356 views)
Old 21st February 2008, 07:45 PM   #6
shagone is offline shagone  United States
diyAudio Member

i know this is a bit off topic but not too far off. i have an original Punch 45HD amp that is only putting out sound on one channel. the channel that is not putting out sound has a ceramic driver board that is getting very hot, i mean very hot! does anyone know where i can find one of these cards or does anyone think that touching up the solder points will fix the problem? there are no burned looking components and i have tested some parts on the ceramic card but not all of them yet. so far they check ok but i have a few more parts to check. any advice would help as these are neat little amps.
Old 21st February 2008, 08:18 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Contact this ebay seller for the cards.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZdealsbyjason

The preamp/input card had a lot of problems due to leaking capacitors. Unless there was a problem with the outputs, the other cards didn't have too many problems other than broken connections on the pins (where they clipped onto the board). Use silver solder to resolder them.
Old 22nd February 2008, 03:43 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1moreamp

Now if you are still in need, perhaps I can get some of these below out of the build shop for you, but time is a issue here..
What is the "build shop"? Does somebody actually make these now?

I just repaired a newer (2000) PPI PCX amplifier with the same problem...I thought they would have had it fixed by then!
Old 22nd February 2008, 04:12 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Has anyone seen this type of board in a PPI amp?

OEM or not?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ppiboard01.jpg (96.7 KB, 325 views)
Old 22nd February 2008, 09:27 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Perry Babin
Has anyone seen this type of board in a PPI amp?

OEM or not?

Hi Perry,
I have seen these rarely, I believe firmly they are a first run card, cause they were only in very old , and early Art series amps and then never more after that.
I looked at these also before building my own, as pictured above. The device pictured in my earlier post is a replacement I and a friend redesigned to replace these older ceramic cards.

Production has not started on these yet. Offshore manufacturing had to be found as no American facility would make the 2 board run for the first 200 pieces for reasonable prices. The Proto in the pic was made on board material that cost more than a new PPI amp ever did.

Hence my statement of getting my build shop to get some of these back to me...and the issue of time...

Hide this!Advertise here!