why the fad with tube amplifiers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2008, 12:30 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to XxGoKoUxX
Default why the fad with tube amplifiers?

just out of curiosity.... why?
Old 20th February 2008, 02:16 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Simple and short answer:

Because some people like them !

Regards

Charles
Old 20th February 2008, 04:11 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The glow from tubes emit pheromones???

(tube amps have a very detailed and natural sound, plus they look cool)
Old 20th February 2008, 04:14 PM   #4
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

For car audio? Geek fashion.
Old 21st February 2008, 01:09 AM   #5
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

The home units I have heard have a warmer sound, and they are a lot different when they are driven into distortion....it is not near as coarse.
Old 22nd February 2008, 04:25 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

just hearing u guys talk about it kinda makes me wanna experiment, my girlfriend would probably kill me if i spend anymore money this month though
Old 22nd February 2008, 05:36 PM   #7
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

When I drive a plain car amp into distortion I get a sharp static sound that is nasty. An example of tube sounding distortion is an electric guitar...and people love that sound. Someone into amps and scopes can better explain valve amplifiers. Playing clean they tend to have more bass/midbass I guess, something that can mostly be emulated with a new amp if desired. Since I never have seen a cheap one, I would not IMO waste the money to try one in a car though I have bid on a couple for fun; have too many other fun places to spend on my toys/house/etc. And I don't spend that much time in a car. In the car I just like some good loud, clean music once in a while when nobody is bothering me.... That is what tube amps tend to be the way I see it; for people that happen to want them, like the sound, or just have money to spend to experiment with them. A real tube amp takes a pile of power all the time, is prone to damage from movement, and is limited in power output.
Old 23rd February 2008, 03:58 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Tube amps have a sound....some say is more natural and like real life. They are more delicate and are not efficient and this makes them not practical for automotive environments. To be honest, when driving with road, engine and wind noise I cant really tell much difference between most decent amps of like power. You might be able to tell a difference between amps if the car is not moving. I have never seen a in car install of a tube amp.....could be waaay off base by saying this.

Basically, if you plan on driving your car don’t spend the money…..just my suggestion. Tube amps are great…and I aspire to build/ own one but it will be in my house where I can justify having one. In an automotive enviroment I would think that a Mcintosh, old school A/D/S/ PQ or PH, or any high end solid state amp will be better for real world use.

Just my 2 cents.

-JH
Old 23rd February 2008, 04:31 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

hehe would be nice to build an amp for my room.... my 2 speakers need like 200-400 watts... i dont think tube amps can do that though lol
Old 23rd February 2008, 05:17 AM   #10
MartyM is offline MartyM  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MartyM
If anybody asks "why" about using real (not hybrid tube/transistor) tube amps in the car, you obviously never heard of Earl Zausmer's BMW 540.

That guy rocked the car stereo world and brought home a lot of trophies. Look it up!

Of course, assuming one doesn't have "tin ears."

Actually, using a +300V tube amp in the car is my next project.

Hide this!Advertise here!