Car Audio Amplifier business made in USA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
More;HIGH END made in USA Car Audio Amplifier business for sale. I started this business which produced amplifiers and eventually Subwoofers from 1987 to 1995. I am selling all schematics, PCB's and documentation, 2,000 lbs of very high quality anodized aluminum heat sinks with bottom and end plates. large assortment of misc. connectors, terminals, etc. 50,000+ electronic components, Large solder pot, board assembly rack, component lead cutting forming machine, misc proto boards and components. These designs were cutting edge in 1995 and even got the attention of Major Japanese Manufacturers which wanted to license our designs for international distribution. Everything you need to get started producing your own Made In The USA car audio amplifiers ( this is a Niche Market ) I also have resources for future designs if interested. Also included is the resource list to purchase ongoing supplies and components. The asking price of $10K is a fraction of the cost of what is offered. Serious Inquiry's Only

1moreamp said:
I must be confused then, sorry. I repair their amps from time to time. I have a few loyal LP clients here locally.

I've heard of this LASER company - they did not have full US distribution, IIRC. Those "Roadmaster/KRACO" heatsinks in purple - no less - aren't very attractive! This company, like PSL would build short runs for big auto accessory and install shop OEMs. I've seen their amps on eBay (Seller: the guy that gold plates old amps) being touted as "made by PPI or Orion" when in fact, they are not.

I'd jump on it...but I am $9000 short of the asking price.

jol50 said:
Oh he put a pic up of them. 9K short? Well if we get 9,000 people on the board here to donate a dollar to you, you can get it!! I'm in if the rest of you are. Be nice to get one at cost though...lol
:treasure: :cheers:

I had quite a chuckle at that. :nod:

I'm building a business very similar to that over the next year and having some of that stuff would be very useful. I might contact him to get more information/find out if he'll break it up.

jol50 said:
I thought that was good :D just put your paypal on here and the money will roll in! ;)

Has to be a tough road, then again people keep saying they want a tough US made amp?

Yeah, they say that, but they really don't. Because if they did - US amplifier companies would be thriving and not outsourcing their assembly. I'm not going into the car audio market (although I have thought about it). I need the assembly equipment more than anything. I'd sell off the aluminum. ;)

EnvisionAudio said:

Yeah, they say that, but they really don't. Because if they did - US amplifier companies would be thriving and not outsourcing their assembly.

I've been in the mobile audio business on the brand side (not rep, salesman, or retailer, but manufacturer) for over 20 years now. I wish I could vehemently refute what you are saying but I can't. At the end of the day it all comes down to cost, not where it is made, despite what you hear otherwise.

Just curious, but does anyone know the legality of copying the circuit of some popular old amp? Or maybe any amps sold today that are a copy? I do see some companies have used the same/similar design over years in their own amps. Many have the same outputs, but change the PS or maybe use op-amps now.

jol50 said:
Just curious, but does anyone know the legality of copying the circuit of some popular old amp? Or maybe any amps sold today that are a copy? I do see some companies have used the same/similar design over years in their own amps. Many have the same outputs, but change the PS or maybe use op-amps now.

Well, most of them are out of business - so sure, why not? ;)

There is (almost) nothing new in the broadline manufacturers these days. We used to make fun of the Rockwood, Alfine and Kenford amplifiers at flea-market sales because it was so easy to see the ripoff. Now, the offshore manufacturing has become "so good" that it's hard to tell what you are buying. They have copied internals to become more reliable (and still aren't..lol) as well as refined finishing techniques to make a $99 2008 amplifier look like a $400 amplifier sold in the 1990's.

Truthfully, I don't think you'd gain anything by copying many older amplifiers. They didn't really put out much power for the price and were inefficient. Everything seemed to be better then because new ideas came every year...and speaker systems were designed to be more efficient (and larger). We're in a slump, technologically. Amps can be made smaller, but not too much smaller. Manufacturers have scrambled to stay afloat by shipping assembly overseas - and neglecting to maintain quality R&D departments. Maybe it will all come back at some point. But for now...we're not there.

I was looking at some new alpine mrp amps, they are pretty small and look hard to work on with all the SMD. They are done well and made in China, I mean no sloppy solder or anything. The M650 even has a 4 layer board in it as I recall. Unless the board is made elsewhere. I'd guess they are made by machine. I wonder about their ratings, the 450 is 400rms and the thing is really small.

That is the thing, I have an infinity here that is 111w rms x 4 @ 4ohms. That is a beast by old standards and can be bridged. They seem screwed together better than many, but I have never used/heard one. I tested it and it works, and has some power alright. I wanted to use some old amps on my high side but hey, I may end up trying this. I figure 60-75wrms/ch is my bare minimum 100 would be better and cleaner if I crank it up some. A CA240 just sold for 160, heck I can buy all kinds of used amp for that far, far over 2 x 40w. People say the difference in sound quality is little. Now the kicker I have, I don't like it. It distorts gradually and turns to static. Problem is you can't hear just when it does it. I much rather have one that breaks up in the bass like the old alpine I had in there before. That really bothers me. Oh and it is not that strong an amp for the ratings, but the sub part of the kicker works well.

I wonder if there would be an interest in a DIY old amp, or maybe even if you had the board made with the small components and a case for it. I guess I never added it up, but the parts don't seem to cost much.

Note that I don't count them, but these prices look to have all kinds of old amps up for sale now. Some I have been watching had as many since start of year as well over 6 months before that.

Starting a business

For those of you interested is starting a company... I have been throwing this idea around for some time now. I am looking for a business partner/partners interested in doing this. If you are interested let me know. I could possibly have the funds required, Just looking for the right person to do this with. If you are interested let me know.

ph.car.audio.business@googlemail.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.