amp selection - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2008, 01:52 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

o, okay. Ill look into that. Thanks, I appreciate it
Old 21st February 2008, 02:24 PM   #12
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

Depending on your setup you can go either way; the AB you can use for other things in the future unlike a mono sub amp (is the advantage). It is hard to find efficiency ratings on a lot of amps though, it can range from 10% with some I just looked at to over 30% between D and AB. I have a little car so I'm going D with the limited power, if I had a larger car or truck I would not worry so much at < 1Kw. Maybe someone else here knows of some guidelines or alternator levels required for X watts of amps. I don't crank in it at night that much either.
Old 21st February 2008, 04:58 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

yeah, see I got a 99 dodge intrepid which means i have a lot of trunk space to work with. doesnt the capacitor help with maintaining the alternator?
Old 21st February 2008, 05:09 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Cap will help the alternator live longer, will help dimming some, but if you overrun the alternator nothing can get your 14v back. Extra battery will keep it from going under 12v if it drops that much, and help play it with car off. Some say caps are worthless. They are kind of like a tiny battery I guess, to put it simple. I got one for $15 shipped so I'm going to use it...I figure pushing the stock alt I will take any help I can get. Also have a booster pack battery to try with it. So IMHO, I'd recommend not investing a lot of funds into caps when other things can help more. It must be mounted close to the amp also. They can help power the amp for the moment it takes for the alternator to react to a big draw, that is why they help dimming some and life of alternator some....but if you draw too much the number of milliseconds the cap works runs out, its only for a hit of sound. So like with a bass track of nonstop bass they will do less for you.
Old 22nd February 2008, 03:42 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

o, okay then. I read that the stinger and svr batteries are pretty good for powering your stereos.
Old 22nd February 2008, 02:10 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

There are good batteries out there, the gel tend to be lighter for the power and are sealed. The car I have now is smaller and I don't have the room or want extra weight, besides not pushing that much power in it anyway.
Old 22nd February 2008, 04:24 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to XxGoKoUxX
i'd sell the two 10s and get another 12.... or sell the 1 12 and get another 2 10s or sell it all and buy my MTX RFL lol
Old 22nd February 2008, 08:43 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I was actually thinking about selling the 10's, believe it or not. Its just that the 10's were a gift.
Old 23rd February 2008, 02:56 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Four 10s is great, I used to run that all the time. 12s can get a little deeper easier but I liked the 10s. It is more what area I have to mount them in now and I had room in this car for 4 12s so in they went. I think 4 10s have more cone area than 2 12s right?
Old 23rd February 2008, 04:33 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to XxGoKoUxX
mhmm. well also, the kicker L5/7/x series makes great subs for the surface area they require.... i put like 200 watts into my cousin's 10in L7 and maaan that thing was nice n loud

Hide this!Advertise here!