Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2008, 03:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Orion 280GX amp repair

I have an Orion 280GX that needs repair. The left channel appears to work properly. The right channel makes sound, but while adjusting the right gain, there is an extremely loud pop from the speaker. The pod is also extremely difficult to turn.

Please help.
Old 19th February 2008, 06:38 PM   #2
sdoom is offline sdoom  Germany
diyAudio Member

Do you have a pod in spare ? Iīd suggest you replace the pod, for testing purposes you can use a regular pod from the tinkerbox (but the value should be in the same range! also if it is a stereo - pod insert two regular resistors in the other channelīs pod - holes) If the popping sound disappeared get a new pod for the amp.
Old 19th February 2008, 07:51 PM   #3
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

Also try wiggling it a little or moving it a hair to check for short/loose connection/solder inside it or on board.
Old 19th February 2008, 08:39 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

another very very cheap trick is to spray some WD-40 on the pod (if it is an open designed pod where WD-40 can enter inside, otherwise the "trick" wont work) . But that will only last for about 2 or 3 turns. If the popping sounds are gone replace the pod with a new one! Also make sure you clean up the WD-40 mess around the pod instantly on the curcuit board as some curcuit boards are paper-based and swell very quickly.
Old 20th February 2008, 04:00 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I checked the pod solder joints and also tried the WD-40 trick, unfortunately neither fixed the popping problem. I'm pretty sure the problem is with the pod, like you suggested, because it is possible to over rotate it.

The pod has Piher 25K 248 written on it.
What would be a suitable replacement for it?
Old 20th February 2008, 04:24 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

You should be able to get a replacement , Piher is common and I īd guess that radio shack will have them or can order them. The value is 25k Ohms.
Old 20th February 2008, 06:39 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/633/677.pdf
531-PT15B-25K

Look at the page above. Confirm that the dimensions of your pot match the drawing for the part number above. They don't have the 25k pot with the shaft. You'd have to use a screwdriver to adjust the gain. Replace both pots so that they match.
Old 21st February 2008, 03:48 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks. I just ordered the parts.

I will be using this and another 280GX to drive two 4 ohm dual voice coil mid basses. For this specific mid bass applications are there any modifications I can make to improve the amps performance?
Old 22nd February 2008, 02:58 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

That a great question. I am using 280GX in that same application to power midbasses between 100-250hz.

I know that the Orion HCCA's are considered incredible amps for bass and midbass application and they are very similar to the GX series amps.

Are there any modifications that can be done to the amp to improve performance for midbass applications?
Old 11th April 2008, 01:54 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the earlier help guys.

I have just gotten around to replacing the pods.

When I took the board out of the case I noticed that the foam tape on the under side of the clamp was broken in a few places. None of the breaks are directly over a fet. (see the included pic)

Does the foam tape need to be replaced?

Hide this!Advertise here!