Using house drivers in car??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th February 2003, 05:05 AM   #1
Banned

Send a message via MSN to SkinnyBoy
Default Using house drivers in car???

What problems are there with using house speakers in the car? I understand problems with heat, and possibly the movement of the car?? But are there any other problems? I know all the woofers/mids will need boxes, while car speakers normally aren't mounted in boxes.... Cos, I looked at SUPER DUPER car speakers... and.... $300 for a pair of 6.5inch splits and crossovers... lol
Old 28th February 2003, 05:20 AM   #2
Jean is offline Jean  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Jean
Not really a problem, car audio speakers are normally 4 ohm or less. They just have to survive extreme heat/cold and vibration condition that you have in the car. Some component speakers will actually benefit from mounting them in sealed or ported enclosures, it just depends on how drastic you are willing to go.
Old 3rd March 2003, 03:23 AM   #3
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Using house drivers in car???

Quote:
Originally posted by SkinnyBoy
What problems are there with using house speakers in the car?
Heat, vibration, and things falling on them - grills are a must.

A friend I know has been using regular 6" woofers and 3" cone tweeters (yuk!) in his car for over seven years now. The same set. No issues.

So long as you're careful with driver selection (outdoor speakers) you should be just fine. I myself used a similar system in my earlier car for over six years. Due to much poorer driver quality of the day, I had to replace every year or so...
Old 3rd March 2003, 04:52 AM   #4
Banned

Okay, thanx for all the input...
Old 3rd March 2003, 10:17 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I expect polypropylene cones would be better than paper ones, especially where there is moisture present sometimes, like inside a door. Also rubber surrounds rather than foam, especially if exposed to direct sunlight.

Some 2 element car speakers are incredibly silly. They have the tweeter mounted on an extension of the woofer centre polepiece and so they don't / can't use a dustcap. Anyway, the entire woofer cone when facing upward, works like a funnel, directing dust and grit and junk down into the voice coil gap!
Old 3rd March 2003, 10:29 AM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Circlotron
I expect polypropylene cones would be better than paper ones, especially where there is moisture present sometimes, like inside a door. Also rubber surrounds rather than foam, especially if exposed to direct sunlight.

Some 2 element car speakers are incredibly silly. They have the tweeter mounted on an extension of the woofer centre polepiece and so they don't / can't use a dustcap. Anyway, the entire woofer cone when facing upward, works like a funnel, directing dust and grit and junk down into the voice coil gap!

Yes, rubber... foam doesn't like the Australian climate anyway..

You know what... I never even THOUGHT of that, but that is SUCH a good point... there is no way I am going to buy car speakers like that, that is, if there are any NOT like that..
Old 3rd March 2003, 11:36 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

/Circlotron - dazzles Skinnyboy yet again.
Old 3rd March 2003, 11:53 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Speakers like that also have a hole in the magnet bottom. The hole is easily opened using a screwdriver. This also removes the center polepiece, and allows one to both clean the speakers using a vacuum cleaner, as well as add a dustcap and dispose entirely of the poor quality mid and treble unit, and you have a fairly good quality 6x9 or 6 1/2 woofer to work with. Biamping and high quality dome mids and tweeters come to mind...
Old 3rd March 2003, 11:59 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Sorry, also forgot, some of the newer breed have started to use sponge pads to somewhat protect the coil from getting grated to pieces by grit. Not particularly effective, though. Pioneer also 'extends' the coil so it somes out of the end of the cone, creating a small 'ledge' in which dust and dirt can lodge. Not very effective either, but both better than nothing.

In any case even house speakers will not last very long in a car anyway, unless they're built strong. I strongly urge looking at outdoor drive units rather than delicate stuff like TBs, Audax, (insert your favourite high-end speaker). We mostly use RS type of stuff - no major heartache for the loss, and once the car begins to move, the road noise and tyre noise take over the job of the bass guitarist anyway, so why use expensive stuff in there?
Old 4th March 2003, 11:32 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I would also say car subwoofers are also designed with space saving in mind while putting out a lot of power still since the dB figures are the main priority for most car audio enthusiasts.

Hide this!Advertise here!