why are old school amps worth so much? - Page 93 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2010, 02:33 AM   #921
ppia600 is offline ppia600  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh7096 View Post
What would amps made in the USA in the year 2000 classify as if that's the case?
Not quite old school. I consider it started with the first car audio amps made early late 70's / early 80's and then up to about 1994 "old school".
Old 4th December 2010, 02:38 AM   #922
diyAudio Member

IMO, old school would be amps that had wires (either directly soldered to the board or on manufacturer-supplied molex type plugs) for power and ground.
Old 4th December 2010, 08:37 PM   #923
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Babin View Post
IMO, old school would be amps that had wires (either directly soldered to the board or on manufacturer-supplied molex type plugs) for power and ground.
I had a bunch of the Crutchfield branded amplifiers (made by PPI) that had the power and ground wires soldered to the board back in the early '90s and I would agree that they are old school. How about the RF HD series that required you to roll your own power/ground/remote wires using a female spade lug?

IMO, an old school amp would be designed and made in the USA prior to approximately 1995 and whose power rating would be accurate (1% distortion or less). The power ratings of modern (chinese?) amps drives me crazy. WTF is music power????
Old 5th December 2010, 12:17 AM   #924
diyAudio Member

IMO, amps using SMD parts wouldn't be old school.

I don't think made in the USA would be a requirement but most OS amps would have been made in the US. Amps like the Kenwood KAC-1020 and the Alpine 3521 would be OS.

Of course, this is my opinion. It's all relative. I was reading on some forum where they were talking about old school Audiobahn amps.
Old 13th January 2011, 02:58 AM   #925
diyAudio Member

Audiobahn sucks thats why they didnt last long. All the cheap chrome jobs looked terrible. But I wont forget my first pair of Audiobahn subs, man they sounded really bad. Tiny magnet and high ratings.
Old 13th January 2011, 03:48 AM   #926
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxStu View Post
I had a bunch of the Crutchfield branded amplifiers (made by PPI) that had the power and ground wires soldered to the board back in the early '90s and I would agree that they are old school. How about the RF HD series that required you to roll your own power/ground/remote wires using a female spade lug?

IMO, an old school amp would be designed and made in the USA prior to approximately 1995 and whose power rating would be accurate (1% distortion or less). The power ratings of modern (chinese?) amps drives me crazy. WTF is music power????
And that's Chinese music power .....
Old 13th January 2011, 11:24 AM   #927
diyAudio Member

They can rate amps in many ways. Music power is what you expect to get when playing music at a certain voltage. The RMS rating they give is at a single frequency (which music is not) with the same signal strenght (no gain on volume, which music is not). But who in the world is going to play sine wave tracks??? So they tend to give you the music power usually (or atleast some companies do).
Old 13th January 2011, 11:46 AM   #928
diyAudio Member

'Music power' and similar power ratings are useless. In my opinion, the only useful way to rate amps is by driving a sine wave into a purely resistive load. By using the maximum unclipped RMS voltage that the amp can produce into that load and the value of the load resistor, you can accurately calculate how much power that the amp can produce. It allows you to accurately compare the output of one amp to any other amp using the same test methods.

Of course, for car amps, you also have to take into account the B+ voltage used when testing.
Old 28th January 2011, 06:09 AM   #929
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanious2011 View Post
They can rate amps in many ways. Music power is what you expect to get when playing music at a certain voltage. The RMS rating they give is at a single frequency (which music is not) with the same signal strenght (no gain on volume, which music is not). But who in the world is going to play sine wave tracks??? So they tend to give you the music power usually (or atleast some companies do).
I take it you have never witnessed a SPL event firsthand?
Old 28th January 2011, 06:17 AM   #930
hugi00 is offline hugi00  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Hi Babys !

Buy Original Amp: Beltek A4250

Pic 1
Pic 2

Other amps.

1, "Dr.Who" ?
2, Blaupunkt
3, Magnat Rave 220
4, DLS Reference 100
5, Impakt HC250.2
6, Coustic AMP360
7, Interconti EQ
8, RockfordFosgate Punch30
9, Sony XES-M1
10, Sony XES-M1
11, Sony XES-M3
12, Alpine 3502
13, A/D/S PH15 es A/D/S AX3
14, Hafler -> RockfordFosgate MSE 120di
15, PPI 2150AM
16, Audio Art 100HC
17, StreetPower FMA10.2 Limited
18, Kenwood KAC-820
19, Kenwood KAC-920
20, Kenwood KAC-1020
21, Kenwood KAC-PS150
22, Kenwood KAC-PS150
23, Alpine MRV-1507
24, Alpine MRV-357
25, Alpine 3548

Last edited by hugi00; 28th January 2011 at 06:44 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!