why are old school amps worth so much?

Nak amps are nice amps. A pain to work on though. I still have a stash of 7 Nak amps from the 80's. Plus 11 or so of the crossovers. Just can't beat the EC-200 series crossovers. The amps aren't real powerful by today's standards for subs, but for mids/highs, they still sound great.
Anyone have any of the old 80's Audiomobile stuff?

PANak1.jpg

P1181503.jpg

P1012760.jpg

I have a Nakamichi pa302 and 304. I hope they are good amps too, they sure don't give them away. Yeah once I get my car figured out I will drop some of them its too many to have around. EC-200s are great, I don't expect to use mine again with my new HU but some people use them on home stereo also.

Obviously I'm late to this party, but thought I would reminisce some. I ran a lot of different stuff back in the day. However, the best stuff was Alpine head units, Audio Control crossovers and Eqs, Soundstream amps, and Kicker subs. Throw in some HLCD waveguides under the dash and some MB Quart 6.5” in the kick panels. Oh – that was pure haven! Even today when I think back on those times, I absolutely lust for that sound again.

Today’s amps and other electronics are junk. Image and pricing are more important than sound quality. The stupid thing is quality is less expensive these days, but the manufactures refuse to bring back quality. It’s a real shame. When I was in college I used to think one of these days I would be helping my son install his first stereo system. With the junk we have now, I don’t think this will become a reality. Too bad, car stereo was so much fun. I wish I still had my Soundstream Class A 6.0 amps. sigh....

JLH said:
\Today’s amps and other electronics are junk. Image and pricing are more important than sound quality. The stupid thing is quality is less expensive these days, but the manufactures refuse to bring back quality. It’s a real shame.\

that's because kids today care more about how shiny it is and very little about quality and the market likes chrome and bling bling. IMO, more chrome = less quality.

I think soundstream went down when they went with the chrome spider and all. they were good stuff back then.
:whazzat:

JLH, I'm with you on the sound...

I was in the "competition " circuit in the early to mid 90s and some of the cars really sounded good. I have a lot of that old school gear left. I have some Veritas horns, midbass drivers, a pile of Orion amps and lots af other stuff. Maybe i should put something together, it's been a while since I thought of it seriously.

Todays gear sure sounds different. Maybe it is as good, but I haven't heard anything lateley that compares to ten years ago. I keep expecting to be amazed at the advances, but they're just not there. Messerschmitt

The only new amps out that I have tried and liked are the Harrison. They are amazing. Tiny little amps that do what the big boys can do. They are class-D, but very well made. Handmade at that. Not many companies still build them by hand. Open up a new Harrison amp, and it looks like it was made 30 yrs ago. Even the case is old-style. Has the banana plugs like the old Zapco's from the 70's and 80's. 800-1600w out of a tiny amp. 9x5x3. (approx) . Anyone on here ever use one?

Yes I have heard of them for a while.They have been out for some years.Since the Late 80's I believe.About the look and the feel your right.Only one problem,they have not advanced since their debut.
They are well know in the db drag circuit for being illegal.
That being said,output power-impressive
sound quality- not up to par,with the korean's

I plainly refuse to install anything of todays "plastic fantastic" gear in my cars.

My current system consists of:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

2pcs Macrom SE 4.2 tweeters
4 pcs Macrom 58.10 Midranges
4 pcs Macrom 59.17 midbass drivers
(these Macrom speakers are form the time when Macrom`s topline where made by Morel, these are amongst them