Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2008, 07:04 PM   #121
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

Can anyone give me the lowdown on soundstreams, I forget what ones are before the buyout and what models were considered better. Is the reference after?
Old 10th March 2008, 07:37 PM   #122
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jol50
Can anyone give me the lowdown on soundstreams, I forget what ones are before the buyout and what models were considered better. Is the reference after?
I don't know all the answers, but the Reference was pre-Power Acoustik / bankruptcy. The last of the "real" SS were USA (short stint), Rubicons, Lil'Wonders, Angina, Human Reign, Tarantula and Continuum.

All the Italian artist names came afterwards, as well as XXX, VGA, XGA, EGA are Power Acoustik's work.
Old 10th March 2008, 07:45 PM   #123
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info. I have a rubicon that seems to work really well, I might run that next and was pretty sure it was old school. Is the one with flat fins not humped. Some of the prices seem to have dropped in the last week...or is it just me? Been trying to pick up a couple odd amps to fill out sets to run my system later.
Old 10th March 2008, 08:07 PM   #124
diyAudio Member

Up to about 2001, I think, Soundstream was still high-end. I have a magazine around here somewhere from around then that mentions the buyout. They also made a "granite" series of amps that looked pretty solid, that's going back maybe 10 years. Does anyone remember that green, chopped Toyota with all the Granite gear that Spinella built back in the day? I loved that truck, I remember drooling over the article in AS&S in high school. 4 fifteens running off of two 55x2 amps...seems silly now, power is so cheap now...both ways.
Old 10th March 2008, 08:20 PM   #125
diyAudio Member

My plan is to run class d on subs, then again I ran this 302 on a single 12 and it went louder than I needed on 8ga wire. But I am pushing for good 20Hz and up so extra power will be used to reach down & have more control, not get louder. Just trusting modern class d will not be short on quality I can perceive in subs...I should search here for a thread on that.

I know the blue ones tend to be the good ones, but not sure if they made them after the change and if they did was the design/components different. Excepting the dark granite and the few polished ones I have seen anyway. Also hear some have SMD transistors that I really don't want.
Old 11th March 2008, 05:16 AM   #126
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to N-Channel
Originally written by jol50:

Remember the DA-2? This was one of only two home amps I remember from Soundstream. It was rated at 200W into 8W, 400W into 4W, and 500W into 3.2W, and had a full-bridge SMPS operating off 120/240VAC mains. Pretty cool. Occasionally, one appears on eBay. Saw one a few years ago and copied all the pics of it. If I can find the cpu I have them on, I will post them here. Ausio magazine did a really good article on them back in 1994-95 era.

Steve
Old 11th March 2008, 03:53 PM   #127
diyAudio Member

I've seen home units here and there but I can hardly get my HT fired up for a movie these days. Here is one 250222407883 on there now. I tend to like HK home stuff, but the old one I have is in my shed awaiting some minor repair. Have to finish some remodel before I get ambitious with sound equipment in the house.
Old 11th March 2008, 05:52 PM   #128
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by N-Channel
Originally written by jol50:

Remember the DA-2? This was one of only two home amps I remember from Soundstream. It was rated at 200W into 8W, 400W into 4W, and 500W into 3.2W, and had a full-bridge SMPS operating off 120/240VAC mains. Pretty cool. Occasionally, one appears on eBay. Saw one a few years ago and copied all the pics of it. If I can find the cpu I have them on, I will post them here. Ausio magazine did a really good article on them back in 1994-95 era.

Steve

Yeah I remember that. And Soundstream had a cassette deck in 1989-90. I don't know who made it for them, but it looked like a Yamaha or Blaupunkt. Really clean lines.

I'd forgotten about the GRANITE stuff. It wasn't around too long, IIRC. SS also had some "regular heatsink"-looking amps in the P series (P205, et al) in the mid-late 1990s using the venerable LM3886.
Old 11th March 2008, 11:58 PM   #129
diyAudio Member

I remember linear power having a HU back then but never got to try one. I remember the kenwood with the EQ tray that came out motorized, that was the coolest at the time.
Old 12th March 2008, 04:16 AM   #130
ca90ss is offline ca90ss  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ca90ss Send a message via MSN to ca90ss Send a message via Yahoo to ca90ss
Quote:
Originally posted by EnvisionAudio

Yeah I remember that. And Soundstream had a cassette deck in 1989-90. I don't know who made it for them, but it looked like a Yamaha or Blaupunkt. Really clean lines.

I think it was made by Nakamichi.

Hide this!Advertise here!