why are old school amps worth so much? - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd March 2008, 01:44 AM   #111
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey look, 'rare old school class A mono'!!!

Sweet, a class A sub amp just what I want....
Old 3rd March 2008, 08:18 PM   #112
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hey look, 'rare old school class A mono'!!!
Sweet, a class A sub amp just what I want....
While I have never owned one I always thought Poweramper made a very nice looking (inside and out) amp. I dont know if they were worth a poop but the build is nice.
Old 4th March 2008, 04:49 AM   #113
Clipped is offline Clipped  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Clipped
Quote:
Originally posted by EnvisionAudio

One of my latest car amp designs uses a booster supply that drives the SMPS MosFet gates at 15-16V to ensure snappy turn-on even with low input voltage.
i believe thats what orion does in the 2150sx...
Old 6th March 2008, 04:52 PM   #114
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Hotnuts

While I have never owned one I always thought Poweramper made a very nice looking (inside and out) amp. I dont know if they were worth a poop but the build is nice.

Must be a good amp considering what it sold for. Maybe you run them in pairs?

I have a newish sony mobile ES made in japan amp, it seems to be built nicely too. They even labeled stuff on the board like what section of amp a spot is, all the voltages at jumpers, etc., and it is switchable to high current like an old SS amp. Can even disable the feedback, what ever that does it has many interesting features. I know little about them though excepting the fact that sony charges x10 for parts if you can't find them elsewhere. It says explod on it too, never seen an explod made in japan. It is huge for its wattage. I know the old sony japan amps are pretty good, but I still dislike the company for other reasons no matter what products they make.
Old 6th March 2008, 07:09 PM   #115
shagone is offline shagone  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jol50

Must be a good amp considering what it sold for. Maybe you run them in pairs?

I have a newish sony mobile ES made in japan amp, it seems to be built nicely too. They even labeled stuff on the board like what section of amp a spot is, all the voltages at jumpers, etc., and it is switchable to high current like an old SS amp. Can even disable the feedback, what ever that does it has many interesting features. I know little about them though excepting the fact that sony charges x10 for parts if you can't find them elsewhere. It says explod on it too, never seen an explod made in japan. It is huge for its wattage. I know the old sony japan amps are pretty good, but I still dislike the company for other reasons no matter what products they make.

Those mobile es amps were very nice amps. they are a night and day difference from the made in china explode amps out there. is yours the huge red one with the silver es badge on the top? any pics?
Old 6th March 2008, 07:49 PM   #116
diyAudio Member

No pics yet, it is huge red with big thick fins only at rear. Has square gold explod/mobile ES badge on center top. Has curved alum cover/shroud at front to sort of cover wires and has LED in that for various things. Is rated 2x75 rms at 4 and can go to I think 360x1rms at 1 ohm. Controls on front under shroud. Side plates have little square vent holes in them. Yes, not like china explodes I have seen. It is big, I have a 1kw old class d that is about same size.

Oh wait, found a cheater pic xm7527:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 6th March 2008, 07:50 PM   #117
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Clipped

i believe thats what orion does in the 2150sx...
Yes, in a way - Orion sometimes used a transformer-coupled FET drive in an oscillating topology. MTX used gate drive transformers, but it is not the same.
The only other company I've seen use a floating, switching supply for the power supply FETs is Zed in their newest amps (Gladius, etc).
Old 6th March 2008, 08:08 PM   #118
shagone is offline shagone  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jol50
No pics yet, it is huge red with big thick fins only at rear. Has square gold explod/mobile ES badge on center top. Has curved alum cover/shroud at front to sort of cover wires and has LED in that for various things. Is rated 2x75 rms at 4 and can go to I think 360x1rms at 1 ohm. Controls on front under shroud. Side plates have little square vent holes in them. Yes, not like china explodes I have seen. It is big, I have a 1kw old class d that is about same size.

Oh wait, found a cheater pic xm7527:
Click the image to open in full size.

yah those are the ones. i remeber those coming out around 2000 or 2001. the last of the good sony mobile es line. $400 msrp!
Old 6th March 2008, 08:14 PM   #119
diyAudio Member

At one point I had a Sony MobileES 75Wx2 (long time before Xplod... ; ) that was quite a robust little amp. It claimed 1ohm stability, but I got it to protect itself by paralleling a pair of 4ohm Orion XTR 10s. Lots of power at 2 and 4 ohms, though, and a nice gold coloured heatsink, with topmount controls! I like top controls...
Old 6th March 2008, 08:28 PM   #120
diyAudio Member

It is supposed to be broke but it works so not sure what to do, guess I better run it under 2 ohms and see what it does maybe that is it. Very nice clean layout inside and all labeled. The SMD is all on the back side of board...boards as it has one PS, one output, and part of filters is on third. Offset is under 15mv IIRC. I've seen the old gold ES, yeah even jensen can do top controls but not that many do.

Hide this!Advertise here!