Not a lot of Amps drawn, not what I expected! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2008, 07:12 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Hello

Quote:
And dance music qualifies for that statement. PA systems have a hard time filling a large room with lower frequencies at significant volume. 50Hz wouldn't be an unreasonable F3 for a club PA, as dance music doesn't go much below that.
Granted, the Dance music these days is crap. My kind of dance music is Harddance, HardHouse, quite a lot of low content availiable. You wouldn't hear it on the radio though

What must be happening, then, is my sub mustn't be doing much work yet? IS THAT RIGHT, please?

I built the thing to experience some low bass, what can I do to bring the output up without boosting the 50hz region???

Ah, I guess I'm talking EQ? I'd be wrong, but EQ is the cheapest option, I/We got another baby on the way and need to buy a new car.

So, could I EQ? This would be easy when the music don't provide the lows, or can you suggest something better?

Cheers, the one with the quiet sub
Old 11th January 2008, 07:13 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Excuse me

Sorry about my language

iUSERTLO72p
Old 11th January 2008, 07:28 PM   #13
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
"Low bass" alone is perceived as "slow" and resonant rumble, it's completely useless without powerful "high bass" (both together sound nice)
Old 11th January 2008, 07:41 PM   #14
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

You could figure out how to get more gain, more input to amp...or cut back the highs to get more sub. Or yes you could simply get an auto EQ to run on the amp...or a home unit. The cheap car EQs tend to have noise but might not be an issue in your house depending on your power supply.

Also your highs may be falling off (rolling off) sooner than you think, giving you a hole between them and the sub.
Old 11th January 2008, 08:59 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default Are you talking about my mains?

These reach about 75hz. They're floorstanders, reflex, but I've blocked the ports.
Low bass" alone is perceived as "slow" and resonant rumble, it's completely useless without powerful "high bass" (both together sound nice)

Yes, but the quantity of low is practicaly no existant. 90% of usage is via the Satellite Tv reciever. We watch more tv than listen to music. Ironicaly, if I put a DVD on, I get the sound I like along with lows, especialy with 24/96. Obviously broadcast material is already compressed, then its got to be converted to mpeg2 or whatever lossy format they use. So maybe, I have two systems in one, one works but not the other!

iUSERTLO72p
Old 12th January 2008, 04:30 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
These (mains) reach about 75hz. .
And your subs are LP@ 40Hz, right? Can you bump that up a tad for a closer match?

I think you've discovered your own answers by now, if DVD's sound better. Sounds like the satellite signal is lacking low end, and there is a gap, as jol50 predicted, between the sub and mains.

Tim
Old 12th January 2008, 11:34 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default It used to be........

...variable.

Hi, 12 db of the 24db were fixed resistor the other 12db, I used a pot. I found I had to lower the frequency, because the sub boomed so much. Yeah, DVD sounds good, but obviously I need to EQ for the TV. I would like to crossover with better quality. The worst is, probably, that the sub is in a corner, inbetween the two mains which are across the corner. Naughty, but Wife likes her floorstanders. I understand that Home Theatre is okay across a corner and Hi-Fi should be on a wall end.

Hope I don't get told off, this could be a Subwoofer thread. Sorry Moderator.

Anyway, maybe I should try some room EQ,(YIKES ), Wife won't let me move sub anywhere else, so I must have some nasty things going on.

So, I have a 40(sterling)microphone I bought from Tandy,(RadioShack!), about 10 year ago, if I plugged this into my Creative Live 24bit oundcard and used a Spectrum Analyser bit of software, would this be acceptable for a basic Room Analysis session to see if I have nasty Peeks or Troughs.

iUSERTLO72p
Old 12th January 2008, 03:15 PM   #18
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

You could try a 12v coustic crossover, they are fairly good and cheap around here. If it is booming probably need to change the slope so you let some of the boom through. Those are why active crossovers are so nice. If you can get a hold a used Behringer, they make some nice rack mount items with crossovers, T/A, EQ, etc., and are not that expensive.
Old 12th January 2008, 08:49 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default Hello jol50

Quote:
Behringer, they make some nice rack mount items with crossovers, T/A, EQ, etc., and are not that expensive.

I live in the UK, everythings expensive. Gordon Brown is being very greedy. So are the Oil Barons, gas and electricity going up @ 20%.

It would be simple for me to put together some circuits from http://sound.westhost.com/ , and hopefuly use some filters, my mic and my PC with some tools to see if I can tame some nasties.

iUSERTLO72p

PS, I'd better buy some TLO72's

Hide this!Advertise here!