Class AB vs Class D? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2008, 05:13 PM   #11
ppia600 is offline ppia600  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aznboi3644
gain setting really has nothing to do with how much power the amp is putting out...depends on the input voltage.
Yepp.. this is true. And we hear goofballs that come into our shop bragging about how their amp is "only turned up a quarter of the way and it is super loud" blah, blah, blah... Hahaha, I just laugh because it takes way too long to get them to understand sometimes. They don't mention the small detail that when they turn the deck up just a hair more, its distorting. Basically they are listening to the amp pegged out all of the time because of the relation of the amp's sensitivity to the rca input voltage coming from the deck. And usually the deck's loud circuit is maxed out, the bass is turned up, the mids are all the way down, etc...

(why can't we have a lol icon here, btw?)

Old 9th January 2008, 05:18 PM   #12
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

Amps are different too, some I can hardly get to go loud on old HUs just testing. The first thing I do with a new HU in my car is turn the amps way down and HU WOT and see how clean it is; where I can set the amps at.
Old 9th January 2008, 05:20 PM   #13
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
Built in filters also have a lot to do with perceived sound. A lower power sub amplifier with a higher-Q low-pass filter may appear to sound louder than higher power amp with low-Q filter.
Old 9th January 2008, 05:28 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I like 30Hz...those are the amps that just will not make the low bass, like they have a built in subsonic. Just like that sony sub I have in a sealed, it will not get low but at 50Hz it blows you out of the car. It sounds loud, but not good.
Old 9th January 2008, 11:59 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Icons, yeah a couple more would work. How about this: Click the image to open in full size.

I'll need 20 of them to properly post if I ever get this amp I am working on fixed....
Old 10th January 2008, 02:18 AM   #16
Flyin11 is offline Flyin11  United States
diyAudio Member

After working on the car from 9AM this morning till 2PM, I finally got it all hooked up. Was quite a chore and after I finished I messed around with tweeking the high amp a bit and afterwards it was well worth it. It sounds great now. I have clean highs and my lows are still pounding my head I go down the interstate now and can't read the signs cause they are bouncing up and down so much LOL The one big thing is that there is no flickering or dimming of the lights at all. Just like last night. So that's great news. I checked the voltage and both amps are getting 14.2 volts to them and the capacitor is putting out 14.2 volts. Checked the battery and battery puts out 12.6 volts with the car off and 14.4 volts with it running So all is good and everything sounds great. One thing I did notice after hooking up the Alpine MRP-F240, everything is working to perfection but the blue square light that lights up when the amp is on is flickering and very dim like it's about to go out but the amp is working perfectly. So looks like the light is about to burn out. Anyone ever seen that before? Can the light just burn out? Doesn't bother me as it's on the box behind the seats and you can't see it anyways. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that has helped me out with suggestions and advice as it all seems to have payed off and I'm exstatic that it all is playing like this with no issues. You all know what you are talking about and if I hadn't upgraded my wire and done everything by the books I would have probably been in a lot of trouble right now. So thanks!!! Installation complete and I'll be happy for a long time
Old 10th January 2008, 02:25 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Excellent! That high side amp should bring a lot to the game compared to the HU. You saved a bunch of install money and you will be able to tune it better knowing more about the setup.

Not sure on the light, often are LED. Does it flicker when you bump the amp?
Old 10th January 2008, 02:34 AM   #18
Flyin11 is offline Flyin11  United States
diyAudio Member

Nope..Has nothing to do with the bass...Had the HU all the way down and just idling in the parking lot and it's sitting there flickering and gets so dim it's almost out and then it'll come back a little brighter. Kind of weird so I was just thinking the led was about to go out for good or something.

Tuning wise I think I have the fronts up right at halfway and the rears are a notch down from that because I had enough wire to go from the rears right to the amp while I had to go through the factory wiring for the fronts so you can tell the rears are louder so I adjusted it so it's about even stage
Old 10th January 2008, 05:23 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ppia600

Yepp.. this is true. And we hear goofballs that come into our shop bragging about how their amp is "only turned up a quarter of the way and it is super loud" blah, blah, blah... Hahaha, I just laugh because it takes way too long to get them to understand sometimes. They don't mention the small detail that when they turn the deck up just a hair more, its distorting. Basically they are listening to the amp pegged out all of the time because of the relation of the amp's sensitivity to the rca input voltage coming from the deck. And usually the deck's loud circuit is maxed out, the bass is turned up, the mids are all the way down, etc...

(why can't we have a lol icon here, btw?)

yes...these are also the systems where the bass is either on mute or TURBO BLAST.

Those "goofballs" have no balanced system.

Mine...I can turn my volume up to level 56-58/62. The bass increases slowly with the highs. I've heard systems like you describe.

on volume say 8/30 the bass is minimal....then from 12 up its full blast....really sounds horrible.

Hide this!Advertise here!