who is old enough to remember - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2008, 05:30 AM   #1
crs1 is offline crs1  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to crs1
Talking who is old enough to remember

ok show of hands who is old enough to remember the good old days when the biggest thing was to have a good 8 track in there cars and rip out a pair of 1960's to early 70's console tv speakers to throw in a box and stick them on there back seat thinking you were the man with all the sound (i must be getting old)
Old 6th January 2008, 06:44 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: who is old enough to remember

Quote:
Originally posted by crs1
ok show of hands who is old enough to remember the good old days when the biggest thing was to have a good 8 track in there cars and rip out a pair of 1960's to early 70's console tv speakers to throw in a box and stick them on there back seat thinking you were the man with all the sound (i must be getting old)
LOL! I used to drive around in my friends old '58 Willy's jeep. He had the Beach Boys blasting on a 4 TRACK!!!! Talk about old!
Old 6th January 2008, 11:44 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

What is an 8 track? And what is a Console TV?
Old 6th January 2008, 11:49 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ya, 8 track with 6X9's in the back and a DPDT switch in which to switch the radio to the 6X9's that was Hi Fi back then. Don't forget the reverberation unit.
Old 6th January 2008, 11:51 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

My first "system" was installed by me in a 1961 Impala 2 door hardtop. I remember where I did the installation, so I'm pretty sure it was summer of 1971 between my sophomore and junior years of high school. Consisted of a Motorola 8-track and a pair of wedge speakers in the rear package shelf. I'm thinking they were Kracos and the gear came from the local Nationwise Auto Parts. Later on I remember thinking how we had reached the pinnacle of technology when cassettes came out.

Now that's funny!!!
Old 6th January 2008, 12:38 PM   #6
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

Default I remember 4-tracks

I also remember peering into the openings of the dash to see the glow of the tubes in the radio. 1959 Chevy Impala
Old 7th January 2008, 01:49 AM   #7
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm a youngster then, first system I put in was good old jensen coax on a kraco booster with some used cassette deck, maybe a sanyo or sansui. Later swapped to the black clarion 5 band because they had more power. Eventually got an amp. Always wanted the big dog clarion EQ with the LEDs on the sides back then, well I have one now I got for free, it may not work and it's beat so hard someone must have played soccer with it. Sure is packed with stuff, no wonder it is so heavy. I remember running a booster for a front amp on highs, it worked pretty nice actually. They would go loud if you put the lowest bass to the bottom and then you had an eq for the front stage. Watching those lights bounce at night, man they were cool back then. You would put the eq in the middle of the dash so it lit the whole front up, lol! Good audio stuff was so incredibly expensive back then. I still have a little stack of boosters around here someplace. Kraco, sparkomatic, sentrek, radioshack, craig....lol, that was the hot stuff if you didn't have an amp. I think I paid $75 for my first amp, a slightly used 2x75. I used to buy beater cars for $50-150 back then.

I still like my dolby c metal tapes better than CDs, I just don't have a good home deck and time to make the tapes anymore. Can anyone here get a CD out of the case and into the HU with one hand while not looking at it? CDs must have made a lot more money in traffic ticket revenue. I used to scrape the ice off my windows with cassette cases, now I break po* CD cases just getting them open. At least you can select songs easy.
Old 7th January 2008, 02:08 AM   #8
defect9 is offline defect9  Ireland
diyAudio Member

my first car was a 69 mustang. it wasnt until my second car (79 Pacer) that I had 8-track.

funny thing is, I'm only 27

-Jared
Old 7th January 2008, 02:21 AM   #9
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

My brother put an 8 track in his jeep in the late 80s so he didn't have to worry about anyone ripping it off. He took the top and doors off all the time. It sure was cheap, nobody wanted them or the tapes.
Old 7th January 2008, 02:34 AM   #10
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Quote:
Originally posted by jol50

I still like my dolby c metal tapes better than CDs, I just don't have a good home deck and time to make the tapes anymore. Can anyone here get a CD out of the case and into the HU with one hand while not looking at it?
In 1995 did some tests using Maxell MX using tapes recorded on Pioneer CT93 and a Denon DRM 44HX and played back on a Alpine 7385 vs a stock CDs on a 7939 Alpine CD player. The tapes sounded smoother but the CDs had more dynamic range. Dolby B/C did reduce hiss but introduced issues like Dolby tracking.

Today everything is on ipods. All one needs is a HU that can good access to the huge music collections, or a 3rd party product like Harman's Drive+Play.

Hide this!Advertise here!