who is old enough to remember

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok show of hands who is old enough to remember the good old days when the biggest thing was to have a good 8 track in there cars and rip out a pair of 1960's to early 70's console tv speakers to throw in a box and stick them on there back seat thinking you were the man with all the sound (i must be getting old):eek:

crs1 said:
ok show of hands who is old enough to remember the good old days when the biggest thing was to have a good 8 track in there cars and rip out a pair of 1960's to early 70's console tv speakers to throw in a box and stick them on there back seat thinking you were the man with all the sound (i must be getting old):eek:

LOL! I used to drive around in my friends old '58 Willy's jeep. He had the Beach Boys blasting on a 4 TRACK!!!! Talk about old!

My first "system" was installed by me in a 1961 Impala 2 door hardtop. I remember where I did the installation, so I'm pretty sure it was summer of 1971 between my sophomore and junior years of high school. Consisted of a Motorola 8-track and a pair of wedge speakers in the rear package shelf. I'm thinking they were Kracos and the gear came from the local Nationwise Auto Parts. Later on I remember thinking how we had reached the pinnacle of technology when cassettes came out.

Now that's funny!!!

I'm a youngster then, first system I put in was good old jensen coax on a kraco booster with some used cassette deck, maybe a sanyo or sansui. Later swapped to the black clarion 5 band because they had more power. Eventually got an amp. Always wanted the big dog clarion EQ with the LEDs on the sides back then, well I have one now I got for free, it may not work and it's beat so hard someone must have played soccer with it. Sure is packed with stuff, no wonder it is so heavy. I remember running a booster for a front amp on highs, it worked pretty nice actually. They would go loud if you put the lowest bass to the bottom and then you had an eq for the front stage. Watching those lights bounce at night, man they were cool back then. You would put the eq in the middle of the dash so it lit the whole front up, lol! Good audio stuff was so incredibly expensive back then. I still have a little stack of boosters around here someplace. Kraco, sparkomatic, sentrek, radioshack, craig....lol, that was the hot stuff if you didn't have an amp. I think I paid $75 for my first amp, a slightly used 2x75. I used to buy beater cars for $50-150 back then.

I still like my dolby c metal tapes better than CDs, I just don't have a good home deck and time to make the tapes anymore. Can anyone here get a CD out of the case and into the HU with one hand while not looking at it? CDs must have made a lot more money in traffic ticket revenue. I used to scrape the ice off my windows with cassette cases, now I break po* CD cases just getting them open. At least you can select songs easy.

jol50 said:

I still like my dolby c metal tapes better than CDs, I just don't have a good home deck and time to make the tapes anymore. Can anyone here get a CD out of the case and into the HU with one hand while not looking at it?

In 1995 did some tests using Maxell MX using tapes recorded on Pioneer CT93 and a Denon DRM 44HX and played back on a Alpine 7385 vs a stock CDs on a 7939 Alpine CD player. The tapes sounded smoother but the CDs had more dynamic range. Dolby B/C did reduce hiss but introduced issues like Dolby tracking.

Today everything is on ipods. All one needs is a HU that can good access to the huge music collections, or a 3rd party product like Harman's Drive+Play.

navin said:

Today everything is on ipods.

I plan on going to large storage when I get a new HU, guess I just don't care right now as I don't drive that far. I don't know of one person that has an ipod, and I don't. I do hear audiophile people complain about the quality on PC sound systems, they use loss-less.

Interesting test on tapes and CDs. I could not tell the difference in a car. I used lots of TDK, some Maxwell and another I forget.

jol50 said:

I do hear audiophile people complain about the quality on PC sound systems, they use loss-less.

Interesting test on tapes and CDs. I could not tell the difference in a car. I used lots of TDK, some Maxwell and another I forget.

So far I dont know of a lossless format that will play on the ipod. maybe hydrogenaudio.org will help.

To be fair this test was when the car was not running. I doubt I would have heard the differences had I be driving in traffic.

"Madam Fifi"... a radical 1956 Chevrolet that was voted Custom Car of the Year (1960 ?) used to play 45's on it's built-in record player while on exhibit at the car shows. Back then, the only thing we listened to was the "pipes", Daddy-O! ;)

Best Regards,
TerryO

I'm not one for proprietary solutions. Today I would much rather have my tunes on a USB drive or some other stick. If something happens to it, just like a cassette or CD I don't care just make another. If your ipod that you must use certain file types on flies out the window or breaks, that is more hassle and much more cash.

TerryO said:
"Madam Fifi"... a radical 1956 Chevrolet that was voted Custom Car of the Year (1960 ?) used to play 45's on it's built-in record player while on exhibit at the car shows. Back then, the only thing we listened to was the "pipes", Daddy-O! ;)

Best Regards,
TerryO

oh yes now that is cool would liked to have seen that

WOW I feel out of place... My first car system was in a new 1975 Chevy Van and I used a Kenwood home amp with 50 per into some ten inch three way BIC venturi speakers. With a Teac reel to reel and a Am Fm remote control receiver gutted of its amplifiers, so it was just a tuner with a remote.
All driven off a power inverter under the front seat it was a bit over the top, but it beat the hell outa 6x9's with sparkomatic amps bolted on the back and a 4 or 8 track player.

Oh and yeah it was back in 1975 that I did all this... I was outa control back then he he he !!!!! WOW those were the dazes.....Young and dumb and was going to live forever ;) ;) ;)

I guess I was a bit ahead of the car audio industry with that setup, But it sounded great for 1975.......:)

justonemoreamp said:
WOW I feel out of place... My first car system was in a new 1975 Chevy Van and I used a Kenwood home amp with 50 per into some ten inch three way BIC venturi speakers. With a Teac reel to reel and a Am Fm remote control receiver gutted of its amplifiers, so it was just a tuner with a remote.
All driven off a power inverter under the front seat it was a bit over the top, but it beat the hell outa 6x9's with sparkomatic amps bolted on the back and a 4 or 8 track player.

Oh and yeah it was back in 1975 that I did all this... I was outa control back then he he he !!!!! WOW those were the dazes.....Young and dumb and was going to live forever ;) ;) ;)

I guess I was a bit ahead of the car audio industry with that setup, But it sounded great for 1975.......:)

wow dude you are the man!!!! you have done something that i was thinking of doing as a joke. i was going to go and pick up a old small u-haul moving van and mount my pair of turbo sound 2x15 cabs ,2x18 sub cabs running off of my 2 QSC RMX 2450 amps ,ashly xr1001 x-over,dbx 215 eq, dbx 266xl compressor /gate and my sound tech st122 mixer powering it up off of my 2 3000W power inverters . pull up to a comp. and tell them to measure the spl of that lol. the only problem is at 4900 watts total out put i would not recommend being with in 100 feet of the speakers running full tilt. i use these for large out door venues:xeye:

I remember several stages in the 70s. Pioneer Super Tuner. Lots of junk. Power amp EQs that amplified an amplified head. Talk about distortion? And the Speakers! Yikes.

The first system I was really proud of (and that was in the early 80s) was an Alpine FM Tuner/Cassette head (7347) with DBX and a Nakamichi 2 X 75 watts amp with a pair of Infinity 3 way 6 X 9s in the door of my van. To this day, I still have not heard better!

I made my own tapes. I had a Technics TT with a Shure V-15 III and the DBX encoder/decoder (still have it) and Denon Cassette deck and then upgraded to a Nakamichi CR5A.

When I had a new LP and recorded it onto decent cassettes, it had everything. I enjoyed listening in my van more than anyplace else. BTW, the tuner was junk!

My friends still comment on how good it was 25 years later.

That was a good memory! But for me it took until the 80s.

Regards//Keith

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.