who is old enough to remember - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2008, 03:47 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

I remember hearing the vibrator power supply buzzing and listening to the tubes warm up in the car radio in my Dad's '52 Chevy.....
Old 7th January 2008, 03:59 AM   #12
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by navin

Today everything is on ipods.
I plan on going to large storage when I get a new HU, guess I just don't care right now as I don't drive that far. I don't know of one person that has an ipod, and I don't. I do hear audiophile people complain about the quality on PC sound systems, they use loss-less.

Interesting test on tapes and CDs. I could not tell the difference in a car. I used lots of TDK, some Maxwell and another I forget.
Old 7th January 2008, 05:48 AM   #13
jpruden is offline jpruden  United States
diyAudio Member

Wow... my first in car system was a Radio Shack stand alone cassette deck (with the bridge circuit for more power) and a pair of Radio Shack Minimus 7 speakers *velcroed* to the rear deck of my 1974 Cadillac.

This was about 1983...
Old 7th January 2008, 06:32 AM   #14
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Quote:
Originally posted by jol50

I do hear audiophile people complain about the quality on PC sound systems, they use loss-less.

Interesting test on tapes and CDs. I could not tell the difference in a car. I used lots of TDK, some Maxwell and another I forget.
So far I dont know of a lossless format that will play on the ipod. maybe hydrogenaudio.org will help.

To be fair this test was when the car was not running. I doubt I would have heard the differences had I be driving in traffic.
Old 7th January 2008, 06:41 AM   #15
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

"Madam Fifi"... a radical 1956 Chevrolet that was voted Custom Car of the Year (1960 ?) used to play 45's on it's built-in record player while on exhibit at the car shows. Back then, the only thing we listened to was the "pipes", Daddy-O!

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 7th January 2008, 04:44 PM   #16
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm not one for proprietary solutions. Today I would much rather have my tunes on a USB drive or some other stick. If something happens to it, just like a cassette or CD I don't care just make another. If your ipod that you must use certain file types on flies out the window or breaks, that is more hassle and much more cash.
Old 7th January 2008, 07:43 PM   #17
crs1 is offline crs1  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to crs1
Quote:
Originally posted by TerryO
"Madam Fifi"... a radical 1956 Chevrolet that was voted Custom Car of the Year (1960 ?) used to play 45's on it's built-in record player while on exhibit at the car shows. Back then, the only thing we listened to was the "pipes", Daddy-O!

Best Regards,
TerryO
oh yes now that is cool would liked to have seen that
Old 7th January 2008, 10:01 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

WOW I feel out of place... My first car system was in a new 1975 Chevy Van and I used a Kenwood home amp with 50 per into some ten inch three way BIC venturi speakers. With a Teac reel to reel and a Am Fm remote control receiver gutted of its amplifiers, so it was just a tuner with a remote.
All driven off a power inverter under the front seat it was a bit over the top, but it beat the hell outa 6x9's with sparkomatic amps bolted on the back and a 4 or 8 track player.

Oh and yeah it was back in 1975 that I did all this... I was outa control back then he he he !!!!! WOW those were the dazes.....Young and dumb and was going to live forever

I guess I was a bit ahead of the car audio industry with that setup, But it sounded great for 1975.......
Old 7th January 2008, 10:44 PM   #19
crs1 is offline crs1  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to crs1
Quote:
Originally posted by justonemoreamp
WOW I feel out of place... My first car system was in a new 1975 Chevy Van and I used a Kenwood home amp with 50 per into some ten inch three way BIC venturi speakers. With a Teac reel to reel and a Am Fm remote control receiver gutted of its amplifiers, so it was just a tuner with a remote.
All driven off a power inverter under the front seat it was a bit over the top, but it beat the hell outa 6x9's with sparkomatic amps bolted on the back and a 4 or 8 track player.

Oh and yeah it was back in 1975 that I did all this... I was outa control back then he he he !!!!! WOW those were the dazes.....Young and dumb and was going to live forever

I guess I was a bit ahead of the car audio industry with that setup, But it sounded great for 1975.......

wow dude you are the man!!!! you have done something that i was thinking of doing as a joke. i was going to go and pick up a old small u-haul moving van and mount my pair of turbo sound 2x15 cabs ,2x18 sub cabs running off of my 2 QSC RMX 2450 amps ,ashly xr1001 x-over,dbx 215 eq, dbx 266xl compressor /gate and my sound tech st122 mixer powering it up off of my 2 3000W power inverters . pull up to a comp. and tell them to measure the spl of that lol. the only problem is at 4900 watts total out put i would not recommend being with in 100 feet of the speakers running full tilt. i use these for large out door venues
Old 7th January 2008, 10:50 PM   #20
KP11520 is offline KP11520  United States
diyAudio Member

I remember several stages in the 70s. Pioneer Super Tuner. Lots of junk. Power amp EQs that amplified an amplified head. Talk about distortion? And the Speakers! Yikes.

The first system I was really proud of (and that was in the early 80s) was an Alpine FM Tuner/Cassette head (7347) with DBX and a Nakamichi 2 X 75 watts amp with a pair of Infinity 3 way 6 X 9s in the door of my van. To this day, I still have not heard better!

I made my own tapes. I had a Technics TT with a Shure V-15 III and the DBX encoder/decoder (still have it) and Denon Cassette deck and then upgraded to a Nakamichi CR5A.

When I had a new LP and recorded it onto decent cassettes, it had everything. I enjoyed listening in my van more than anyplace else. BTW, the tuner was junk!

My friends still comment on how good it was 25 years later.

That was a good memory! But for me it took until the 80s.

Regards//Keith

Hide this!Advertise here!