4th order bandpass, wheel well design :) (design inside)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
... when I say that I'm tired of designing and tuning custom bandpass boxes for everybody wanting one...

Attachments

• subaru_047.jpg
    subaru_047.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 278
... and that I do it more for pleasure and as a challenge than for the money.

Once integrated with the front system, these enclosures provide great punch (and bass in rock music, since they reinforce anything below 120Hz) and weak to null rear presence.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• subaru_053.jpg
    subaru_053.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 271
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
ppia600 said:
[snip]He's probably trying to hate on the large surround because some cheap companies have woofers with huge surrounds. What he's failing to mention is that the cheapo companies try to emulate designs of better companies to sell their flea market stuff. [snip]

Not necessarily. The surround is often designed as a natural extension to the cone proper, to aid in terminating the cone for minimal reflection, as well as extending the radiating area. And a higher surround-to-cone area helps control break-up.
I think you can't say that a wide surround means cheap, low quality driver, often quite the contrary.

Jan Didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Eva said:
In a bandpass box you are likely to get better performance with a driver designed with more common sense (I mean no donut surround, no bulky cosmetic motor not to be seen by anybody, no ultra heavy cone and voice coil, etc...)

With this approach you are likely to get 2 cavities tuned to 2 different frequencies, and as a result, very very low Q. Bends in a port also hurt efficiency badly because the moving air mass has to change direction and some energy is lost in the process.

Eva,

I think this could also lead to air flow noise. I had a similar thing and the sharp discontinuities caused air flow noise that disappeared when I put absorbing material in the angle cavities.

Jan Didden

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.