Easy question, sorry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Current setup....

Alpine 9887
Polk mc6500 components (front and rear)
Alpine F450 (4 x 70w RMS)
Polk Momo 10"
Alpine M450 (400w @ 2 ohm)

Thanks to the 9887 the tuning capabilities have created a "good" soundstage, but I know there is more that can be done.

If I wanted to add some upstage tweeters and 3" front fill, how do I get the channels when my H/U only has 4 ch and sub out? Would I add an audio control active EQ? Would it break out that many channels? I know this is a dumb question, but I am brand new to this and now obsessive about getting the best sq possible.

I have two extra amps so I would like to use them if possible.

If you want to improve your sound stage, get rid of the rear speakers.

The only other speaker I would even consider would be a centre stage.

But I've been there and it aint worth the hassle.
It only hurts imaging.

If you seriously want better staging etc, get the front speakers positioned right.

Forgive me for not knowing the 9887, but by tuning capabilities do you mean DSP or similar?

If that's the case, it could be counter productive to add an unprocessed channel or channels into the mix.

The only convincing center channel I've heard was simply a tweeter (or a pair of them, not sure) in a MB Quart sales rep's car. They delivered small cues to fool you without being obtrusive.

If you want to experiment and learn for yourself, I encourage that. You can start as simply as a pair of RCA Y-adapters out of the head unit to connect the additional amp.
A processed center channel would be an upgrade and additional expense. If you don't mind that for the sake of experimenting, go for it. If not, fool around with speaker placement and filtering.
IME, the quieter and the narrower the bandwith of the center speakers, the better. You may like something different than me.

Along the lines of MadMutt's suggestions, play with the rears, too. Disconnecting the tweeters could move your stage forward while keeping some fullness intact. I've done systems with tweeterless rears that worked very nicely.

You may like something that seems entirely wrong to us, and fooling around with this could be fun for you.

If you're looking for a sure fire way to add front fill and not fool around with it ever again, see MadMutt's previous post.

Tim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.