MTX Jackhammer vs MTS 4500

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello. I can buy a MTX Jackhammer subwoofer for $5000 us. For the same price I can buy 50 MTX 12 inch Thunder 4500 single voice coil woofers. You might have seen the MTV series "Pimp My Ride". It is used in a full size van. See it? Assuming you are using the same amplifier, lets say a Rockford Fosgate T15kw (15000 watts RMS) at $20,000. Which system will produce more sound? SPL. Bass?

Attachments

• mtx jackhammer.jpg
    mtx jackhammer.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 197
I think I would go with the 4500's if space wasn't a concern. That is definately enough power to push them all adequately. Heavy huge subs are for people who have to have the biggest shiniest toys. But... they do have the new mtx jackhammer 45 series which replaces the 4500's and they handle a little more power and are built better. (sewn in lead wires and rubber surround)
I'm waiting on the shallow subs from Mtx to come out, anyone know when? I emailed them and they just told me "I can't give any details, but very soon" I can't wait!

changing my question

25 cheap made in china style woofers no matter what the surface area will not outperform one large 22 inch quality driver. Right? ER in San Diego has these drivers for about $6 each. They are also available in LA area from Davy Levy Co. I am changing the original question.

Re: changing my question

boxcustom said:
25 cheap made in china style woofers no matter what the surface area will not outperform one large 22 inch quality driver. Right? ER in San Diego has these drivers for about $6 each. They are also available in LA area from Davy Levy Co. I am changing the original question.

Not likely. Like djQUAN and I am saying, having that many woofers is going to outpound that one jackhammer, especially when you have more power than they require. The cheaper woofers may be made in china but they are to mtx specs. And like I told you, there is also the new JH (jackhammer) series of the 45's that are even better made than the 4500 subs. Plus, your original question was about 50 woofers, not 25.

The MTX Jackhammer is a joke.

two quality 15's in a custom enclosure for them will outperform the Jackhammer.

They will cost less...be more efficient...and not look retarded

Lets see what you need for a Jackhammer.

6000 watts rms

two 250 amp alternators.

A hug SUV to fit the 20 cu ft enclosure.

Suspension upgrades.

Possibly tire upgrades to handle all the weight

The enclosure would weight hundreds of pounds

1000+ dollars in batteries.

hundreds of feet of 0 gauge wiring.

A forklift.

The MTX Jackhammer is far from a realistic driver.

that 180 was a test tone, an extreme vehicle isnt really designed to play music... you cant even sit in the cars, unless youre a dwarf, much less drive it :clown:

the jackhammer is unproven so far.

the 25 subs will outpound a jackhammer, there will be more voice coils to dissipate the heat, the cost for wiring is also going to be much much much higher.

you should base your design on the airspace you have as well as the vehicle, a 18" sub wont always be louder than a 12" sub in an automotive environment, you have to give room for the wave to develop...for 25 subs, the box is going to have to be set back futher than usual do to the smaller box space available....

djQUAN said:
quote:
Originally posted by jol50
I thought I read one DD did 180db? What was it a 15 or 18"? And had a ton of power on it. Also read their subs don't even have that much xmax.

quote:
Alan Dante posted 180.5dBat 2x event dB Drag just this week!

Loudest car in the planet using just a single DD9918Z and 4x Stetsom 7kd.

;)

So is that 28,000 watts rms then? I would expect a high db measurement from that much wattage. Was the sub pressurizing a tiny cabin area like some of the guys do for spl or was it an actual vehicle with a cabin? Anyone can take an electronic piston and pressurize a small sealed container with the mic sealed tightly inside and get a high spl reading. It doesn't mean anything in the real world, but its impressive to the bassheads I guess. What type of vehicle was this in and how was the cabin set up?

Clipped said:
that 180 was a test tone, an extreme vehicle isnt really designed to play music... you cant even sit in the cars, unless youre a dwarf, much less drive it :clown:

the jackhammer is unproven so far.

that's because the jackhammer can't do high SPL in a 'one note wonder' vehicle. if it can, then db draggers would use it as their favorite weapon.

I don't think it was designed for music too.....the moving mass is just too heavy to make good SQ. probably just made for show and boom.

jol50 said:

Thanks for the link

Exactly, a solid cube made of concrete with a moving 26kw piston compressing the air at the "car's" favorite frequency. I'm not impressed by the spl as much as the fact that the car isn't even a vehicle anymore and therefore totally irrelevant to the equipment people in the real world use. Someone could also take a solid six inch thick cube of concrete with a single high power handling woofer sealed to one side, seal the microphone inside and beat that record, and I'm sure the woofer wouldn't cost 3000 dollars. The woofer wouldn't last but same concept nonetheless. Paint a few wheels and a fake windshield on the cube and call it a car.

:smash:

djQUAN said:

the magnets are the black rectangular thingies.

if you look closely the Magnets are 'L" shaped and in two pieces, the part that is on the outside which is visible, is the part im not sure of, is part of the magnet.//the other part of the 'L' is definately a magnet because its right up to the coil.

i have a closer picture , but to lazy to upload.

it may only be there for structural support

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.