Igh Amp alternator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hard question to answer.
The PPI PCX2200 is a class AB amp….not as efficient as a class D but still not too bad.

If you listen to bass heavy music, wide open for extended periods and the other amps are power hogs you may have a problem.

I would recommend a cap on the bass amp. You will likely be ok…..no guarantees.

Keep an eye on a volt meter at the battery with a bass tone and 2K RPM, if its droping below 12.......

Simple math 3 X 200 watts = 600 watts
600 watts divided by 12 volts = 50 amps
600 watts divided by 14.4 volts = 41.6666666 amps
Your car needed 90 under full load without the stereo, so you got a extra 46 amps with the new alternator.

Now bear in mind you never see full power draw on your amps except when your blasting and only when the music demands it so, I think you doing OK, you might care to add a Bat Stat cap at the amps < much better then a capacitor> IMO

Good luck and Happy Holidays

I believe the pcx2200 is 800wrns at full clip. Add the other two amps and that totals about 1200wrms. That will require ABOUT 130 amps at 12vdc if it is a constant draw. (class a/b amps, not that efficient) It will be cutting it close with that alternator considering you'll have the vehicle's ignition system running and maybe a/c and headlights. But if you don't run it full clip constantly (for more than a few minutes at a time, it will be okay. The battery will be a reservoir until you turn it down to a normal level.

Clipped said:
if you plan to do alot of bumping at night, id get the alternator...

in my old ride i had 1900watts (2xorion250 hcca/1 x ppia600)

on a 70amp alt and 70 ah batt, and it was enough to keep up.

id run the big three, and install anothe positive from alt to batt, this should be done anyway and it may endup saving you money if the results are good.

Hey, I don't remember being in your ride!?!?!? :lol:

:clown:

(ppia600)

ppia600 said:
I believe the pcx2200 is 800wrns at full clip. Add the other two amps and that totals about 1200wrms. That will require ABOUT 130 amps at 12vdc if it is a constant draw. (class a/b amps, not that efficient) It will be cutting it close with that alternator considering you'll have the vehicle's ignition system running and maybe a/c and headlights. But if you don't run it full clip constantly (for more than a few minutes at a time, it will be okay. The battery will be a reservoir until you turn it down to a normal level.

Yeah well it was looking like he could not connect the math so I was giving some rough numbers to crunch.

Anyway my Xenon 200.4 has to be fused at 125 amps by itself. Its only 200 X 4 so that 800 not clipped, so maybe he can catch on to numbers now, and another hint is when his headlights resemble candles instead of HID lamps LOL LOL LOL ...Merry Christmas guys....:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.