Looking for some Power Wire Gauge advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've actually decided to take a few others advice and look into a 4 channel amp for my highs as my lows are just perfect right now and changing the amp is not what I need as it will only give me a little bit more power and I'm already pushing it at the RMS level for my subs. I had already bought the JL amp before my head unit and this head unit with the 5 volt preouts has givin me the punch I was looking for. So, I'm just happy with my Alpine and will resell the JL Audio on Ebay. That being said though, this thread is not for none as I'm still going to have to upgrade my power wire if I plan on adding another amp. I do already have a distribution block that accepts 4 gauge wire and that can put out 4 - 8 gauge wires to different applications so I'll just get some 4 gauge wire from Crutchfield and will probably try to upgrade the wire maybe next weekend or wait till I get a 4 channel amp and then hook it up. I'm just worried about the amperage now...

If I get a 4 channel amp that might have a 30amp fuse on it.

Sub amp has two 20amp fuses for 40amps.

40+30=70amps

My alternator is supposely 70amps. Is this overkill? :cannotbe:

If it is, I might just turn the gain down a little bit on the sub amp and make due.

You can't go by fuses anymore, everyone puts huge ones in. I have tested little amps (up to ~100wrms/ch) right into clipping with 7.5a fuses and they don't blow (ok, only for a song or two)....they come with 20-30a fuses. I used to run an old amp that spec'ed at a 24 amp draw max (2x60/80wrms at 4/2ohm) plus the exact same amp for high side and every week or two I would blow a 30a fuse at the battery on big bass music. I was running the sub amp hard at 2ohms on 4 10s right up to clipping (It would not clip WOT), and 6x9/tweeters/mids on the highside amp at 2ohms also.

Maybe someone who has a proper test rig can tell us if new amps can actually blow their fuses under any normal use, or even on a bench with a sine wave.

But like I said before you have to put a sine wave (solid bass) into it at max volume to ever see that draw so it depends on your use. Also, if you run the high side amp with a HP crossover it is unlikely it will ever pull full power as bass is what takes the juice. If I were you I would just add a 4-5ga wire, follow the one you have now and add it right in. Tie them together or use the 8ga for high amp, just fuse both at battery whatever you do. Make sure nothing can cut that wire (sharp edges/etc) and zip tie them together if you can.

If you have a good battery it should work ok, unless you play bass tracks loud as it goes all the time. Even then so your voltage will drop to the battery and you lose some wattage until you upgrade...your lights will dim/etc.

Here's how I was going to do it...

Replace the 8 awg power wire from the battery to the amp already in the car with 4 gauge (With a inline fuse holder and fuse of course). Connect the 4 gauge to my distriibution block and use 2 of the 8 gauge openings on it for the amplifiers. Everything else is pretty much standard procedure for hookup. That should work shouldn't it? I use to have dimming light issues in my old Hyundai Excel hatchback back in the 90's but then again, I don't think that had as big a alternator as my Civic does now. I also had it this way but only had 8 awg wire total for both amps. It worked and sounded great like that so hopefully it will work out like this as well. I'm watching a couple Alpine 4 channel amps on Ebay right now.

Also as a quick note: I still have my old PPI Sedona 50ix and that only has a 25amp fuse but it is a 2 channel amp. It is 2 ohm stable at 90 watts (4ohms is 50w x 2). Would it make sense to maybe use that and wire my 4 speakers in parallel for a 2ohm load and keep the gain way down? It has turn on and off pops though but I could hook the remote wire for that amp up to the remote antenna input of the HU.

what you are failing to look at is that at 70 amps is most likely max on your alt . now because your fuses say 20,20,30 your amps are not going to draw that many amps that is the max they can take before thay blow but now you have to think about what else your car needs to run at the same time ie.headlights,windshield wipers,parking lights ,cars computer the radio its self it also has to keep your battery charged what i would say you need to do is get four GA or bigger come off of your bat. to a 80 to 100 amp fuse back to a fuse block with a 40 amp fuse to your 4ch and a 30 to your sub amp on your sub amp run a 1 farad cap and you should be fine . partsexpress.com has every thing you need 4AWG wire part #100-194 $1.95 /ft ,in line fuse holder 070-660 $8.25 ,fuse block part#263-611 $31.89 ,cap part#268-420 $89.89, heavy duty ring terminals part# 263-625 $2.85 this i some ideas it sounds like a lot but when you have to start replacing alternators it is a little to pay prime example i had a 1992 pon. sunbird with a 3.1 v6 5 speed 2 soundstreem 12's 1 Rubicon 302 amp 1 highfonics 4 Chanel amp running my Polk 6x9's and Polk 5.25 components i went through 4 alternators at $150.00 EA for a rebuilt till i got better wires and a cap then i never needed a new alt again parts express shuld have all that you need to do it right

Ok..Found a 4 gauge amp kit with the wire and everything and a 2.0 farad cap for $104.85 with shipping and handling. Only thing is the fuse holder only holds a 60amp fuse. Does all that sound good and would I need to replace that fuse with a 80amp ag fuse, which seems to be the highest they come in?

Then all I would need to do is run the wire (And get a fuse block of course) and put in my PPI amplifier (Best and least expensive choice but has a turn on and off pop) or another amplifier if I decide on one and be good to go.

I bought a used 1f cap off ebay for 15 shipped, supposedly 1f per 1,000 watts is what you need. If you add new wire to your 8ga you have even larger wire=4ga+8ga=even better. The PPI would work fine, you can even put a little resistor on the rears if you want...think I used to put a few ohms on them. My kit came with a 100A fuse in it. I have a pile of 50s and 60s here and likely all mine needs anyway for 700w.

look in partsexpress if your fuse type is agu they have 10 up to 80A if you have a wafer type they have 60 A to 300A or if you go to a shop in your area you can get 100A the only reason for the fuse holder off of the bat. is if the wire between the bat. and amps shorts out you wont blow up your bat. now 80A would be fine me personally i like 100A

How about a Stinger 4 gauge multi amp kit that comes with a Distr Block (Which I already have...Will still have to get a fuse dist block) and 150amp wafer fuse for the front and all the wiring I need. I already have another pair of RCA cables. This all for $69.95 and free shipping. I then will need to get a cap which I'm looking at one new 1 farad that ends in a day and 20hours for $9.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/STINGER-PRO-4-G...ryZ71528QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Nevermind on that...I'll keep searching...just found a Rockford Fosgate 4 gauge kit with a 100amp Maxi fuse...For about $50.00. Is this a good one?

It's just, if I'm going to take all the time and effort to poke through that hole again, then I'm going to want to do it the right way so I'd rather just upgrade to 4 gauge rather than try and twist and reclamp 2 8 gauge wires together. It's easier just to replace the wire all together ;)

the wire kit looks good did not see the cap you might want to get some heavy duty ring terminals the ones that the kits come with are junk get ether inter-lock or set screw type and don't forget power to the amp is only part of the problem if you haven't done so already run a min. of 12GA speaker wire to your subs and a min of 14GA to your fills i run 10 to my sub and 12 to my fills this will help your amps run smooth and cool

How about a Stinger 4 gauge multi amp kit that comes with a Distr Block (Which I already have...Will still have to get a fuse dist block) and 150amp wafer fuse for the front and all the wiring I need. I already have another pair of RCA cables. This all for $69.95 and free shipping. I then will need to get a cap which I'm looking at one new 1 farad that ends in a day and 20hours for $9.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/STINGER-PRO-4-G...1QQcmdZViewItem

Nevermind on that...I'll keep searching...just found a Rockford Fosgate 4 gauge kit with a 100amp Maxi fuse...For about $50.00. Is this a good one?

Yeah...Couldn't find a good kit with a 1.0 farad cap for the money on there. I'm looking at cap now though that ends in about a day or so. Otherwise, will have to search on that. I liked these 2 kits, so it's between these 2:

Soundquest (A company from Stinger):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=170178543264&rd=1

Stinger:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170178544616&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=007

I like the Stinger one myself cause it already has the rings crimped on and it's a quality wire name that you can trust. Like I said too, I already have another set of extra RCA cables here in the apt. This kit also has a MAXI fuse of 150amps as does the Soundquest but I do trust Stinger quality.

Also saw a Kicker kit but it doesn't say that it comes with terminals to crimp on or even if it's already crimped on to the wire so I don't want to spend more money and go to Radio Shack or something and get terminals.

Still looking at a couple Alpine 4 channel amps as well ;) All this depends on if I can sell my other stuff I shoudn't have bought on Ebay but made the mistake of doing so. They should sell. The head unit is brand new so that should go for something and the amp is a popular quality brand that was only used for a month so hopefully that should go for something as well. I hope...

well good luck and you are on the right path the name of the game is to get power to the amp with min. stress on the cars electrical sys and get all the power out of your amp that it has to offer any other questions you might have just ask that is what these forums are here for and again good luck on your system

Also, anything that can help out my alternator is a plus ;) I am on a strict budget.

Was doing some thinking though...Maybe I'm going at this all wrong. I'm trying to save the elctrical system after all. What about just getting a good wattage 4 channel amp and running my my front speakers off of 2 channels and my subs off the other 2 bridged? The amp's fuse rating would be pretty low anyways and I would have all my power in 1 amp instead of 2..Would that help out the electrical system or is going with 2 amps the better? Still upgrade the wiring and all ;)

(Still on a budget but that doesn't mean I can't sell the amp I just got again or the amp in my car)

jol50 said:
From what I have read a cap does not help performance that much but will help save your alternator.

yes it will help tighten up the bass that is why it is pointless to put one on your fill amp and you are correct in saying it will help save your alternator unless you want to spend the green on a big alternator and a gelcell duel batt sys.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.