have a placement question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just got the Dynaudio 240GT componet set and will be installing them in a Toyota Tundra (I purchased a beautiful A/D/S/ PQ20 I will run 2 channel to them).
The woofer will go in the factory location, I am looking for any tips for finding a location for tweeter placement that is better than convenient and don’t mind fabbing something IF it justifies the work.
As a mechanical contractor I am prone to get dirt in the kick panels, and am somewhat concerned about doing a KP install for the tweeter.

What is the method for finding the best imaging location without having to experiment with multiple holes?

-JH

Hi Jonny,

You can hook up the drivers to the crossover and use double sided foam tape to temporarily mount the tweeters in various locations and angles to see what works best.

The Dyn tweeters are sort of heavy, you may have to use extra tape on them.

Once you find the spot that works best, your work really starts... fab an enclosure or drill some holes and get them mounted.

smiles,
Jamie

There are two conflicting goals with regards to tweeter location. On one hand, you want to have the tweeter mounted as close to the woofer as possible, as this makes the system more coherent - that is, the sound appears to come from one driver, not a mixture of two.

On the other hand, mounting the tweeter higher in the door makes for a more spacious soundstage. The highly directional sounds off the tweeter fill the car space better when mounted closer to ear height. At the expense of a little noticeable separation between drivers.

Obviously, experimentation is the way to go, but in my experience, getting that tweeter up high on the door provides the best compromise of the conflicting goals. Having it down low was disastrous in my Nissan Altima. Putting it too high up (near the ceiling) produced a confusing soundstage. Near the dash/window region is usually about the best you can do. Let's face it, car audio is a compromise anyway- there's only so much you can do in a tight space with reflecting glass surfaces everywhere.

On the other hand, mounting the tweeter higher in the door makes for a more spacious soundstage. The highly directional sounds off the tweeter fill the car space better when mounted closer to ear height. At the expense of a little noticeable separation between drivers.

From the days of my youth when I campaigned a SPL vehicle, (co- designed by my friend and legendary transducer engineer Jerry McNut of Eminence Speakers), was always under the assumption that the farthest forward, within 12” from the woofer (this usually meant KP) AND to have them pointing in the direction of the persons head opposite the driver was optimum (or ball park) for tweeter placement. Something about the “crossing waves” that put the center stage in the middle of the dash.

You are the first that I have heard that higher in the doors, separated from the woofer is acceptable. I am concerned that high in the door would cause an unnatural brightness from the tweeter closest to your head. Is this concern unfounded?

As much as I am thrilled by the “legendary” Dynas I must say that I am disappointed in the mounting options for the tweeter……because there are none. They are mounted in a large cup and can not be pivoted as with most eye ball socket mounts; this means it will be pointing 90 degrees from the mounting surface….period.
Also as much as I like the foam tape idea…..the tweeters have a 1/16x.5” stud for mounting along with ¼ male spades…..this, along with the formidable weight makes a very good idea impossible.

I hate to say it but I might have to play this by ear!

I feel your pain... I'm using Dynaudio tweeters too... they're difficult to get mounted, but they are SO worth it. The first time I heard the drivers installed, I nearly died. Wow... super detailed and incredibly smooth.

My installer ended up removing the drivers (MD100) from the cup and putting them into the factory mounting locations (Audi A4). I think my next upgrade (or next car) will be putting the Dyn tweeters near the kick panels pointing to the rear of the center of the car... but I will probably put a pair of tweeters up high to give me some more space.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.