diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Car Audio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/car-audio/)
-   -   kenwood cd player usb jump drive issues (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/car-audio/113841-kenwood-cd-player-usb-jump-drive-issues.html)

ppia600 18th December 2007 05:31 AM

kenwood cd player usb jump drive issues

Recently I bought a couple of "20 bit remastered" cd's and I wanted to get the most information when transferring them to my thumb drive so I upped the kbps from 192 to 256. Well, the first time playing in my car there was random popping and distortion and several spots where the audio to drops out.:bigeyes: I would think its sometthing with the transfer or the thumb drive, but the problem doesn't happen in a sony cd player I tried at work. Is it possible my kdcx890 won't play information transferred faster than 192kbps? I mean, the program that came with the kenwood (phatnoise media manager) has the selections for 64, 192 or 256 so it seems the deck would work properly with it. Is there something I could be doing incorrectly? I even tried clearing the thumb drive and transferring the cds onto windows media player first, then onto the drive. It still happens randomly. Could there be an issue in the cd player causing this? I've never spilled anything in it or abused it whatsoever..:confused:

ECM 18th December 2007 06:18 AM

Is your thumb drive USB2? How about the radio? It seems as if the radio can't retreive the information fast enough and causing dropouts, etc.

I beleive a USB1.1 drive should be able to stream an mp3 file at 256K without any issues, but the symptoms you describe seem to indicate a transfer issue.

Borrow a different thumb drive and load the exact files and see if you can replicate the issue.

ppia600 18th December 2007 05:46 PM

Well I bought a sandisk 2 gb cruzer to try and see what would happen and it still does it. Its a usb 2.0 but I'm not sure if the original 1gb lexar is. :confused: Funny the files are fine playing from my computer and sound great. :whazzat: I wouldn't think the circuit in the deck that transfers files from the usb cable could be damaged so easily.

ECM 19th December 2007 04:04 AM

Are you using variable bit rate on your mp3's? Does the headunit work at 128kbs?

Since the files work fine on your computer and on the sony radio, it's obviously a flaw with the kenwood. Is there a way to update the kenwood firmware?

ppia600 19th December 2007 04:12 AM

I'm not sure. There isn't any information in the manual about the deck's bit rate capability either. I went to Kenwood's site, but can't access any updates or links to them. I'm going to click on the media manager program and see if it will link to the site for me...

My friend was thinking maybe using the 256 rate was causing issues when transferring from the computer to the memory sticks, could that be a problem? Maybe its not the deck. :confused: I've got to get this thing going right, I'm not going to let all of my equipment go to waste on sub standard audio signals :bawling:

dark_avenger 19th December 2007 04:52 AM

try encoding the files at a lower bit rate and see if you have the same problem it might not be capable of decoding higher bitrate tracks

ppia600 19th December 2007 05:52 AM

That is what I am kind of thinking, but some of the music in the library is very high rate wma, like 1011kbps. The format I am having a problem with is M4A and I can't change it to any other format without getting some kind of subscription and "upgrading".:mad: I would try to use mp3 format with my windows media player, but I don't think it changes the format for the external device transfers, only for burning cd's. Wow, looks like I might have to settle for m4a at 192 rate.

I need to correct my earlier statements above as the selections on the kenwood program weren't 64,128 and 256kbps, they were 96, 128, 192 and 296 in M4A format. The other settings I was thinking about were from another format..

ppia600 20th December 2007 04:36 AM

I deleted the music files from my computer and re burned them into the kenwood media manager at the 192 rate. I went to their site and the info. links suck to try and decode. I'll report back tomorrow after work with the results. I hope the pops go away but I also hope the music doesn't sound gritty and compressed.

Oh yeah, and does anyone know what the purpose of the "M4A" format is? I've never heard of it until using the kenwood but then I'm not very experienced in audio converting.

Flyin11 20th December 2007 12:29 PM

I don't know ppia600...I just installed the KDC-X891 in my car last night (Next model up I guess) and the USB on it plays 320 rate songs with no issues or pops or anything. That issue doesn't sound right though :cannotbe: Might be something with the HU....

ppia600 20th December 2007 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Flyin11
I don't know ppia600...I just installed the KDC-X891 in my car last night (Next model up I guess) and the USB on it plays 320 rate songs with no issues or pops or anything. That issue doesn't sound right though :cannotbe: Might be something with the HU....
I believe yours is the same model with the newer year number.
How do you like the deck so far? I love mine (aside from what's happening now:( ) Also, what format are you getting the 320 rate from? Mine will only allow me to use the M4A at 96,128,192, or 296. It will also allow me to use the WMA format I believe, but haven't tried that yet.