red hot transformer? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2007, 06:52 PM   #1
marko is offline marko  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default red hot transformer?

what would cause this? a short i guess? the amp actually works for a bit untill my power supply trips out and the cables get warm too in the process!!
Old 12th December 2007, 07:27 PM   #2
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

Transformer shorted?
Old 12th December 2007, 07:29 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

i'll have a poke around, could be this as some of the anodising on the transfomer wiring is slightly scorched....
Old 12th December 2007, 08:13 PM   #4
shagone is offline shagone  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by marko
i'll have a poke around, could be this as some of the anodising on the transfomer wiring is slightly scorched....

try twisting with something while you play music and see if it comes and goes. look for a powdery substance between the shorted windings. they often short where the leads bend down to go into the board. if you can find the short you may be able to isolate it with kapton tape or new epoxy.
Old 13th December 2007, 11:07 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Might your amp be suffering from simultaneous conduction in the transistors (FETs on my amps) that drive the transformer's primary? If so, this could be caused by a damaged gate drive circuit or by the use of replacement FETs having larger gate to source capacitances than the drive circuit was designed for.
Old 15th December 2007, 03:25 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

this is the amp, it's a bbg ryval by phoenix gold, it play fine for a few minutes then the transformer gets too hot to touch, i've ohmed all the devices out and they seam fine....

also the trasformer starts to very slightly smoke!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn2477.jpg (86.6 KB, 232 views)
Old 15th December 2007, 10:02 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Pull the rectifiers out of the circuit. If the current draw remains high, you know the problem is in the supply. If the current draw goes down to ~1 amp, the problem is in the audio section.

After pulling the rectifiers, you need to put the board back in the sink and clamp the transistors down tightly. High current draw will destroy parts in seconds if they're not clamped to the sink.
Old 22nd June 2008, 05:21 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

hi all, i just got round to looking at this again as it's sunday and i'm board!

i pulled the rectifiers out and powered it up, within seconds the transformer was too hot to touch!! i didn't do a current draw check but i'm certain it would be high still...

do i have a shrorted transformer? i guess the only way to tell is to pull the transformer and do continuity tests..

Hide this!Advertise here!