2 sub box system - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2007, 06:34 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 2 sub box system

i was wondering what the cons are of a sound system with 2 boxes would be. i have 3 15" subs and the easiest way to fit them into my truck is to have 2 in a sealed enclosure and one in a ported box. would this cause any major problems sound wise or should i just do 2 sealed enclosures?

thanks ahead of time,
p.s. this is my first post, i'm fresh to the forum
Old 11th December 2007, 12:33 PM   #2
ECM is offline ECM  United States
diyAudio Member

welcome to the forum.

can you put two in a sealed box and the third in another smaller sealed box? You should try to stay away from mixing and matching different boxes or speakers. It's not good practice to do so. You'll get different sound from both boxes and I'm willing to bet it won't integrate well with the rest of your system.

Why not just use two of them? two 15's will still put out quite a bit of bass.
Old 11th December 2007, 08:14 PM   #3
shagone is offline shagone  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ECM
welcome to the forum.

can you put two in a sealed box and the third in another smaller sealed box? You should try to stay away from mixing and matching different boxes or speakers. It's not good practice to do so. You'll get different sound from both boxes and I'm willing to bet it won't integrate well with the rest of your system.

Why not just use two of them? two 15's will still put out quite a bit of bass.

i second that idea. it would be better to just use 2 15" subs in the correct size enclosure with the right amount of power. plus you might have room left to actually put stuff in your trunk when you need to.
Old 13th December 2007, 01:04 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Safe_Cracker
A well designed single 15" sub enclosure will out do three poorly built ones! A sub will need room to breath, too much in a trunk will cause cancellation problems. Here was my approach to a single system and I will be redoing it again with my finalized box ( last picture.). Polo..

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 15th December 2007, 06:11 AM   #5
impsick is offline impsick  United States
diyAudio Member

I'd say put them all in there own sealed box, but thats just my personal preference.
Old 15th December 2007, 04:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by impsick
I'd say put them all in there own sealed box, but thats just my personal preference.
+1

If you must have all three 15" subs, I would build 3 separate sealed boxes, put them into the trunk, then bolt them all together.

As stated above, and depending on the size of your trunk, you may have cancellation problems. In other words.. "too much box and not enough trunk."
Old 20th December 2007, 05:09 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

its a decently sized SUV and i'm really hung up on 3 subs so i guess i'll go sealed for quality and smaller size. my next question would be 3 single enclosures and not a triple?
Old 20th December 2007, 06:42 AM   #8
impsick is offline impsick  United States
diyAudio Member

like i said, i like separate enclosures for my subs.
3 15's is allot for a car. what are you gonna use for mids and highs?
i bet eventually you'll decide 3 15's is more then needed or need more space in your vehicle and take out a 15 or 2, so may as well build them separately so you can pull them out as desired too.
Old 20th December 2007, 03:57 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

3 subs are great; I have personally always liked the odd number setups. Remember that 3-4 subs (or more), during everyday listening will be working less than the same volume where 1 or 2 subs is used.

This is what I recommend:

Do not mix ported and sealed encloses in the same car. You will loose SPL because the wave forms will different between sealed and ported, the different wave forms will not align and cause cancellation. Some people may think I am crazy and it wont have much of an affect but I have spent a great deal of time and effort experimenting with wave alignment for SQ/SPL and I have NEVER found a benefit for the very susceptible low Hz in doing anything that can alter a wave from another sub in a controlled environment (car for instance).

Do not mix sub sizes…..for the same above reason.

Do not have different sized boxes…..again for the same reason

Have all of your subs in the same plane….unless you have frequency alignment processors and STILL only want a small frequency range.
Old 28th December 2007, 07:42 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

cool, thanks

it's a done deal. i'll do 3 seperate boxes all the same specs and on the same plane i'm hoping. and as for the midsand highs i have 2 sets of jbl 6.5 gti series components and a set of 6.5 full ranges for my center speaker. all jbl power series amps (total of 4) i especially like sub amp because it wasmade by crown for jbl

anyways, thanks for the advice

Hide this!Advertise here!