2 sub box system - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th December 2007, 09:49 AM   #11
impsick is offline impsick  United States
diyAudio Member

cool post some pics when your done,
thats interesting about the sub amp. i would have guessed jbl made it for crown since crown doesn't specialize in car audio. Not that they couldn't make a car amp. i think crown might actually be owned by harman Kardon also. im gonna check on that
Old 28th December 2007, 09:51 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

yup thats affirmative. Crown is a part Harmen so that kinda explains the amp.
Old 10th January 2008, 05:58 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

it will be a while before i get it set up and running, but whenever i do get it going i'll get the pics up.

never knew crown was just a tree in a forest. i thought they were there own independent elite company.
Old 10th January 2008, 07:58 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Still elite just under a much larger elite corporation.
You ever look at all the companies under Harmen?
Old 10th January 2008, 08:12 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Harmen

- AKG, BSS Audio, Crown, Digitech, JBL, Lexicon, DBX, DOD,
Soundcraft, Studer, Infinity, Harmon Kardon, Becker, Revel,
Mark Levinson, AudioAccess, QNX and a couple other names!!!

Impressive monopoly.
Old 10th January 2008, 08:29 PM   #16
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

I have four 12s IB into my back seat. They don't work hard at all normal listening...they hardly move and make 30Hz easily. They are too much for me, I crank them up with only 420rms on them and all I hear is bass and back of car shakes....whole car shakes and they are not even close to xmax. However I'm going to swap them for maybe two light 15s because they are too heavy in my little car.

I mean, I like the bass but don't want to make my highs go much louder so I can do without some of that extra rumble if I have to. If I find some efficient 15s I hope it will perform near the same. Maybe one 18 even or 6-8 10s....not sure yet but likely twin 15s because I'd have more amp room. And the 12s only take maybe 5" off the seat back inside the trunk, nearly the whole trunk is empty that way.

Three 15s is really going to hammer.
Old 11th January 2008, 01:49 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

jol50:
Quote:
However I'm going to swap them for maybe two light 15s because they are too heavy in my little car.
How about a single 15?

Be aware that a true IB for this woofer would be large.

Tim
Old 11th January 2008, 05:03 PM   #18
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

I know, thinking about this one too. Just not sure that would be enough, but maybe it would.

True IB, but it really matters little. Once you get much beyond the recommended box size there is little change to the curve and most trunks are big enough...plus they flex and are often vented, etc. So just put a little extra sub in if worried about that. Heck now you can use a parametric/EQ and make it run the way you want anyway and have your whole trunk. Back in the day I used to swap subs and amps until it was tuned better. Aside from cars not having trunks and kids with SPL, I am surprised more people don't run IB now. I'm very happy with it for SQ and it can go loud as far as music, right now it blows my high side away easily and right down to what the subsonic filter is set to. I like 30Hz, but I can fudge it to sound any way I want to with the parametric, it's great. I've never had good luck with big drivers though, so not sure.

Hide this!Advertise here!