What about big IC amps, STK****?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll try to post a pic if I get time, there is not much inside the output section of this Blaupunkt. I don't think ampguts has one on there, pretty fierce little amp though if you can use what it gives out. If I knew enough about it I would try to change the sound of it, give it more bass....but for IB 10s it is perfect.

tsmith1315 said:
A BPA260 and some old efficient IB 10's.

If yours is blowing the fuse at turn-on, it's most likely the IC. I only replaced a few, but all were verifiably shorted without even removing them from the board. Often the damage is visible.

LOL, digging DEEP here but I finally (after removing some dust) finished fixing the poor old BPA260! Perry is still laughing at me. It was all messed up with low rail voltage and just crazy looking PS IC on the scope....yep, plugged the RCA in and it worked fine (lots of colorful wording could describe it) The amp is fully floating but for a wire to the PS IC. I get 4mv DC offset on the new STK and 57 on the old one, and single digits mv on the second BPA260 I have....so I'm ordering another STK for the other channel. When I get my power test bench fully setup I'll wring it out a little and see what it does compared to some other amps. The STK was fully shorted rail to output, not sure how it did not blow the subs in the car just blew the fuse, 20A I think. It has ~28v on rails with 13.5v in, there was no visible damage on this STK.

I'd say this might have had a little less power than a coustic amp300 I also ran in there at the time, but something was different because this was much more stable on the IB subs. I want to say dampening but likely was something else. Maybe less headroom, I'm just not sure. It did distort at close to the same time, but the coustic would knock the subs out of control when it did and this did not.

I beat this amp senseless for at least three (great) years on four 10" 4 ohm subs, daily in the summer. Nice hot trunk, at the beach, poor thing lol and I got it used :D It will have to sit here just a little while longer with no cover. I have photos will try to post one when I have a minute.

:D

So, from where did you source that STK084?

Psst, Perry... don't laugh, jol's having fun!

I beat this amp senseless for at least three (great) years on four 10" 4 ohm subs, daily in the summer. Nice hot trunk, at the beach, poor thing lol

Same here. It had to withstand my barely 18 year-old self, first year at college, parties, beach trips, road trips. If the car was running, the stereo was cranked. Neither the 260 or 430 ever shut down or blew a fuse.

:D Heck I didn't know there were any amps out there that would not run without the shields grounded :headbash: I blew it up long ago, must have been 1990 give or take. One day I got mad because it was still broken and my amp guy moved, eventually I decided to fix it myself...and here I am, a little smarter.

Oh yes, the good days. That amp was in a 6.6 T/A for a while and it was never shut off, serious hours on that one. I did have a fan on it much of the time, but those trunks got hot. Had two of these running the system for a while, also with a sanyo and coustics, swapped amps all the time it seemed. Even ran a PB300 I think it was, it worked but not as much power.

STK084G from Littlediode, they also list them on epay 170191788696 I put in an offer they have taken them before. Just nobody buy them all before I get one please....though not sure who would need many.

Here is a gut pic of the little critter:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The BPA430's manual suggested installing the amp with GROUNDED SPEAKER RETURNS!!! I don't think the 260's did, I always assumed it was the same amp bridged. Didn't see many 260's, either.

Curious how they added a "shield" between the PS and amp. IIRC, they are two separate PC boards that looked like they were produced together then snapped apart. I dunno, maybe I'm mixing up memories.

And to digress... At that time Blaupunkt included schematics along with the manual. And the earlier versions of that amp had white lettering instead of the beige. They changed it to match the look of their new line of cassette decks.

I still remember opening mine up and admiring the new lettering, the first I'd seen like that. Somehow it looked nicer than the plain black and white.

There are only three wires across the bottom connecting the two boards, common and the rails. The ones on the top are mostly power stuff for the DIN power/remote and the thermal, one wire does something not looked yet...something to the PS IC and with the rails offset 12v floating it messed it all up. It had ~10+/-v on rails instead of 28. The center divider might also be mostly to hold the amp together; the two ends are otherwise the only thing holding the two sinks and the top/bottom covers screw to the divider also.

These STK are only one channel. I thought you can't bridge them? Now I think I'm getting an ADS with the 082 in it you can't get anymore, wonder if an 84 would fit...if they are bad. I'll have to keep an eye on my junk amps, if one has a good PS I will set it aside and maybe some day see if I can build one of these....tweak the sound a little more. I should build a schematic of this or search for one, see if I can change it a little. My guess is the STK has a subsonic in it, or this board does. Guess I could run tones and see if it cuts the bottom off.

I never wanted the smaller one as I knew I would never use it. It did want one of the wand EQs but was told they were not so good.

You should monitor Ebay for 084's I just saw 4 sell for $9.99 3 weeks ago from a service person that was selling off his inventory. I almost bought them myself. Plus if you search there is another seller retailing them also, and Ampslab has some also as I recall...good luck...:)

The center divider might also be mostly to hold the amp together

Duh, how silly of me.

These STK are only one channel. I thought you can't bridge them?

That was my incorrect assumption (way back when): since the 430 was common ground 4-ch out, the 260 was a bridged 430.

The wand (stalk, gooseneck) EQ's were noisy and ended up in the way. The older early 80's version was cooler because it had little VU meters instead of LED's. Both were about average for a moderately priced 80's EQ.

jol and 1moreamp, thanks for the ebay tip. Looks like the Sanyo 461's are out there and prices are reasonable.

I was looking at this class D but you can't find the datasheet in english. It looks significantly more complex yet possibly workable for the less experienced like me. Four 086Gs might make a nice car amp too but why not go with a newer and more available one if I were to build an amp. Still wonder about the distortion ratings, then again I'd only need 100rms in a car if that.

Yeah , back then all I knew was these amps sucked because they didn't have those shiny round things in them (TO3) like LP and coustic/etc had :D However I found out it ran my IB subs so well, that was good enough for me. The sanyo amps had them too, guess that makes sense now.:rolleyes:

I'll dig into these more, found some other threads on them to read also.

I bought the first STK084G at Littlediode, seems to work fine. I had to buy some other transistors from ebay for China amps...they were good but have heard stories about that stuff. I doubt I will ever be able to return all the help I've found here:worship: :D

That was a big problem for me back then with EQs, they all seemed to have noise. I never found a really good one back then so I mostly did without. If someone said they had noise, I didn't even bother looking at it....including crossovers. Man was I happy when I got hold of that Nakamichi crossover.

hail the sanyo 100! the amp thats probably responsible for the whole miami bass era!

the sanyo was an amazing amp. its downfall was a weak power supply. when you find one that makes a little squeal noise and does nothing else its often times the transistors for the power supply that crapped out.

i havent seen any other big chip amps but have seen quite a few TDA chip based car amps in the 25-40 watt range. plus side to those is no power supply. i just fixed a bunch a LA sound amps not long ago that had blown TDA chips. $7 or so per chip and back in business.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.