Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th December 2007, 05:25 PM   #11
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the history Justonemoreamp! Minimum 30 order at Audio lab. Someone has them on ebay too, I'll keep looking I don't need it right now. I had a sanyo 100w once and I think it did have them in there. It did not perform like this Blaupunkt though...it may have been smaller as well. Had no bass and hardly was able to run my 6x9 so I swapped it out. Did get a somewhat nice EQ with it a friend still has.

Seems like it would be easy to DIY an amp with these, or copy one even.

I could try to replace them with the 86G its bigger, but with the same rails what difference would it make....not going to mod it.
Old 18th December 2007, 07:27 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I had a sanyo 100w once and I think it did have them in there. It did not perform like this Blaupunkt though...it may have been smaller as well.
That was a PA-6050, no guts.

The big brother PA-6100 (2x100) was twice as big and had plenty of bottom. There was a 4 channel version of the 6100 called the 6110. It was basically the same 2 channel 100W amp with a motorized power fader mounted internally on heatsinks, and operated by remote. It was a bit of a dog as well.
None of them were worth a flip until you trashed the external "speaker protection circuit."

Tim
Old 18th December 2007, 09:35 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I saw a big one on ebay once, it was 4 or 5 channel and they went on about how great it was....but wattage was pretty low per/ch. I think it had a crossover in it, I laughed given my experience with the small one. Also saw some old blaupunkt that was a 5ch the guy could not get that much out of. I don't even like my new 700w kicker 5ch, not for my use anyway. I didn't know it is only 40wx4 more or less, but the sub channel works nice. Speaker protection? I didn't know much about internals then I just hooked it up and ran it.
Old 18th December 2007, 10:03 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Wow, I just found an STK that is 180w+180w at .7% THD. I bet those need active cooling.
Old 29th December 2007, 06:12 PM   #15
wazzy is offline wazzy  Zimbabwe
diyAudio Member

Smile stks......

hi guys i have repaired several home systems using stk's and i thought i would build one for my self, because i can, and have since built five different amps using various of the stk41 series, at the moment i am using an amp built with stk 4181, recons it's 70w min into 4ohm not too bad sounding but not audiophile by any means, playing through some event2020 studio monitors, whips the pants of any home system if you use the right parts, LF response can be tweeked by adjusting the values of a couple of capacitors, i have the data sheets for a couple of the afore mentioned ic's the pcb layout supplied is pretty easy to get working, if any one is interested feel free to e-mail me and i'll send them on to you, all pdf's. by the way you can get thd values as low as 0.005% claimed for the stk 4181x can't verify though don't have test equipment, worth considering?
Old 29th December 2007, 07:44 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Do you know if they can be made bridgeable?
Old 30th December 2007, 08:14 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

i'm sure that it is possible to bridge an stk amp with the proper bridging adaptor, they seem to be pretty bullet proof, ran one once at max power for the whole day at 2ohms without any issues except that sound quality wasn't anything to write home about, and you need a really big heat sink, if the protection is activated in any way they tend to become a bit hypersensitive and shut down for no apparent reason the next time you try to cause hearing damage! IF you do break one they don't make any smoke, pretty cool i suppose no drama sorry. wiil try to attach a diagram for a bridging adaptor
Old 31st December 2007, 12:49 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Sure would be an easy way to make your own amp, if you could keep quality up. I've seen some fairly good mass made brands of home units that use them...and they don't sound bad.
Old 31st December 2007, 04:28 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

i wouldn't say simple if you compare to the gainclones, as there is a pretty large number of parts needed to make the things work but if you use reasonably good caps and metal film resistors the results can be quite surprising i used elna caps in mine. the cool thing is the ic's in the stk 41 series are all pin compatible, which means the same board can be used for amps ranging from the little 4122 to the pretty serious 4191, the one i'm using is rated at 70 watts min into 8ohms thats a lot of sound if you have sensitive speakers, i can make the ceiling lose plaster if i really crank it up it is actually too much to stand for any amont of time, she who must be obeyed gets a bit edgy if you know what i mean
Old 1st January 2008, 11:39 PM   #20
MartyM is offline MartyM  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MartyM
I can tell you one thing! I would guess that IC-based car amps have a bad rep' due to the crapp that was produced for the car audio industry...especially some years ago.

I remember working at a small shop where we sold a lot of low end (read: high-profit) amps and I installed one in a Jeep Wrangler. I think it was a "Cyclone" brand and had terrible sound quality.

Opened the sucker up and inside was a tiny single-IC based amp. Occupied only about 25% of the entire amp housing! Piece of crapp!

But I was curious of this same subject myself.

My guess, speaking as an engineer, is that perhaps due to bulk purchasing you might be able to build/produce a cheaper car amp using standard MOSFETs and low-tolerance capacitors and resistors.

Just my $.05!

Hide this!Advertise here!