Everything but the subs (simple newb question) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2007, 05:07 PM   #1
bigron is offline bigron  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Everything but the subs (simple newb question)

I'm going to try to keep this simple and quick since I'm a new guy. I just wanted to get a few opinions on which subs to buy or see if anyone had any suggestions.

It's for my work truck so I know it's a bare minimum system, but that doesn't mean I want to buy junk either.

The box size is fixed since I bought a premade box from supercrewsound.com, because it fit great and was carpeted to match and I wanted something discreet and easy (it hides under the rear seat).

http://www.supercrewsound.com/shop/detail/11/35.htm

Here is what I'm working with:
2 - 10" subs
6.125" max mounting depth
.75 cu. ft. per sub

Powered by a cheap-o Rockford Fosgate p6002 amp.
# 150 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms
# 300 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms
# 600 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
# stereo or bridged mono output
# 4-ohm stable in bridged mode

Rockford Fosgate P600 2 amp

I'd like to spend around 100 bucks each (plus shipping if necessary).

Just looking for bang for the buck, I don't expect killer SPL or sound quality, but I don't know if I should go for 4 ohm or 2 ohm, and I don't want to waste money on some killer speakers that are held back by my box or amp.

I'm thinking about these:
infinity kappa 104.7
ma audio hk100c
audiobahn aw1008t

But I'm open to any other suggestions as well.

Thanks in advance!
Old 4th December 2007, 07:11 PM   #2
Flyin11 is offline Flyin11  United States
diyAudio Member

The Infinity's are a pretty nice choice but I would stay away from MA Audio or Audiobahn...Stick with some name brands....MTX, JL Audio, Kicker, Alpine, Rockford Fosgate, Polk Audio, Boston Acoustics, and I'm sure others will have more suggestions but those are some name brands that can do some bang for your buck...
Old 4th December 2007, 09:31 PM   #3
shagone is offline shagone  United States
diyAudio Member

i'd just go with those infinity's and call it a day. they have the perfect air space reccomendation to match your sealed box and if you wire them for 2ohms each and run your amp in stereo they will get about the perfect amount of rms power. i have always had good luck with infinity in the past. their older stuff was better in my opinion but these should be good and the have good reviews. the other subs you mentioned are all for looks and i would stay far away from them as recommended above you could even shop around online and fine a better price for those infinity's. i saw some for $80 on ebay
Old 5th December 2007, 03:37 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Kick ***. That's exactly the feedback I was looking for: what's B.S. and what's quality. I knew Infinity was good, that's actually what I have for mids and highs in the doors too, but hadn't heard of MA audio.

I'll shop around for a deal and hit some of the wholesale places around here. Thanks again.
Old 5th December 2007, 10:49 PM   #5
shagone is offline shagone  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigron
Kick ***. That's exactly the feedback I was looking for: what's B.S. and what's quality. I knew Infinity was good, that's actually what I have for mids and highs in the doors too, but hadn't heard of MA audio.

I'll shop around for a deal and hit some of the wholesale places around here. Thanks again.
watch out for some of the wholesale places. they often carry unmarked refurbished items or returns. ask them to test it for you to show you it works ok if possible and get some kind of warranty. Good luck!
Old 5th December 2007, 11:13 PM   #6
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

I have 4 dvc 12" infinity running IB in my car and ran one in a box before that, they work pretty well. I also like MTX have a 4500 10" works nice sounds good. Have a sony P5 12 and it is loud but not good sounding. I like infinity in that price range.
Old 5th December 2007, 11:24 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Actually this spring a big retail store was dumping them as returns on ebay, so I bought them back then. One I had to solder the lead on it, but no other problems with them. Only real issue I have is they handle too much power for IB (150w IB, 300rms in box, my amp is 420rms), well for my use of 4 of them (105rms each, they don't get near xmax). And they are heavy with 4 + amp, so I want to change out to twin 15s or something. I could hardly pick up the baffle loaded with all that, had to have help to get it in the car...and I am not a little guy.
Old 6th December 2007, 01:18 AM   #8
ppia600 is offline ppia600  United States
diyAudio Member

The infinities would be the better choice out of those. Check on the mtx jackhammer 55 series. See if you can get them in a dual voice coil or 8 ohm version. The 12" handle 400 watts rms each (as much as my mtx 7500's) so you've got a little room in case you get a larger amp. They also aren't expensive. I'm just waiting on mtx to come out with the shallow subs, my 12's are slowing the car down lol.
Old 6th December 2007, 04:15 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

That sounds like a pretty big setup. I used to go big, I had a fosgate hx2 15" in my New Beetle, and at one point had two Orion 15" is a 64 ragtop beetle. I could run the stereo and the lights or wipers, but never both.

I'm not so old that I don't care about a stereo, but I'm at the point where I'm not wiling to give up the back seat for one.
Old 6th December 2007, 04:56 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Lol, that is the problem I have...those 12s are so heavy I feel them in the car around corners, they even set the back down a little. I got plenty of trunk space IB, but frankly they weigh a ton. I hate to admit it, but used to run pyramid paper 10s for a long time in the old days. They were efficient and didn't take much to get them going, 4 were perfect at xmax. Really thinking about trying them again but they are different now, the cone has been changed. Check out pyramid originals, the blue paper ones. I could try 4 12s or redo my baffle for 2 15s at $27 each (99db), the 12s are 17. Used to run various 2x75rms amps on the 4 10s at 2ohms and they moved your hair nicely. Now I have that alpine 350w at 2 ohms, so 2 15s might be the ticket as they are all 4ohm svc. Just don't need all that power handling with IB and it kills efficiency. I think these infinity are 89db. Now if you run a box, that is different.

Hide this!Advertise here!