Need some help with finding a really good headunit - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2007, 11:36 PM   #1
Flyin11 is offline Flyin11  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Need some help with finding a really good headunit

Looking for some advice on a really good headunit to replace my Kenwood KDC-MP4028. I bought a Alpine CA-9883 but the problem is, I thought I could make the adjustments to make up for the 2V preouts on this unit (My Kenwood had 4V) and it doesn't hit as hard and isn't the same at all. I've tried everything. It seems a lot of the headunits now n days (I bought my Kenwood 2 years ago) like to have you only turn it up half way or at a low volume. I'm use to crankin up a stereo. My Kenwood went up to 35 on volume and I always had it at 28-29 and it kicked butt. The Alpine 9883 seemed to sound good around 21-23 but any higher, and you didn't hear any bass at all. You got a little teeny bit but if you turned it back down to that range, it hit hard. I'm not use to a unit that you have to have the volume level low. Luckily I bought it from Crutchfield and I contacted them last night and I'm thinking about exchanging it for a Alpine CDA-9885 but I'm worried that this won't solve my crankability issue. The bass more than likely would be back to normal but I would still have to keep it at 21-23. Then when I turn it down at a stop light, the highs are low but my bass is still pretty high at 1!! It still sounds like I'm thumping. I don't want that cause I don't want to draw attention to myself as I usually just crank it up when I'm on the interstate. Weird...So I need some advice on a few units I'm looking at and maybe if you have a suggestion. I want a unit that you can turn the volume up pretty high and still have everything sound clear and good.

Here's some of what I had in my Kenwood unit that I would like to have in a new unit (can do without a few and also, this unit had a mid bass setting that you could change - could have made a difference before in my sound):

CD receiver with built-in amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
fold-down, detachable face with 2-color display
plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs (including discs loaded with MP3, WMA, or AAC files)
System Q Sound Control: 6 preset EQ curves with bass, treble, and midrange controls
System E's crossover system (high- and low-pass filters)
satellite radio controls (SIRIUS or XM subscription, tuner, and antenna required to receive the satellite radio signal) service is available only in the lower 48 states, not available in Alaska, Hawaii, or U.S. territories
HD Radio-ready
CD changer controls
optional auxiliary input (adapter required)
4-volt front, rear, and subwoofer preamp outputs
CR-2 tuner
18 FM/6 AM presets
clock
wireless remote
CD frequency response: 10-20,000 Hz
CD signal-to-noise ratio: 105 dB
FM sensitivity: 9.3 dBf
warranty: 1 year

Looking at these units:

Alpine:

CDA-9885

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...DA9885&tp=5684

Pioneer:

DEH-4900iB

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...EHP490&tp=5684

DEH-P5900iB

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...EHP590&tp=5684

DEH-P6900UB (Has USB Input)

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...EHP690&tp=5684

JVC:

KD-G830

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...KDG830&tp=5684

Any help is much appreciated I will be calling Crutchfield in the morning and telling them I'm exchanging my CDA-9883, just not sure right now which one to exchange it for.
Old 2nd December 2007, 11:38 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Safe_Cracker
Just buy a linedriver to boost the input signal. Polo..
Old 3rd December 2007, 12:07 AM   #3
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

Do you have the loudness off? What size amps are you running on it? I have my alpine set to max at 18 because I get so tired of waiting an hour to turn it up or down. Ok only a couple seconds but it is way slower than a knob, and it works fine this way. I never run them over 60-75% usually (into amps), but this one I can turn amps down and crank it way up and it stays clean. I used to run it to 28-30, but it was so slow to change volume. It sounds mostly the same at any volume, I don't understand what yours is doing. Mine is older, but same as other alpines I have run. It is 2v and I have run maybe 10 different amps on it, but I have used a couple different crossovers. They were not line drivers but could have boosted the signal for all I know.
Old 3rd December 2007, 12:37 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Loudness is defiantly off...I'm using a Alpine MRP-M450 on 2 JL Audio 12" subs. It sounded great on my old Kenwood unit with 4V preouts and exceptional on a Clarion DXZ675USB unit I tried but was not happy with it and it had a defect in the volume control. If I turn the amp gain down, it doesn't make it any clearer when you turn it up...and then the treble is already too high for me and if you go lower, it doesn't sound right. Treble was at 0-1, Bass 3, SW 9, Freq - Highs at 80 or 120, Lows 80...Not much else to really say. I really love my bass hitting hard and I feel I should not have to lower the gain or touch my amp that it should sound as clean and hard as my Kenwood or Clarion was. Oh well, I'm still searching through Crutchfield's lineup...
Old 3rd December 2007, 02:06 AM   #5
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

Well you can never run the HU into distortion, some do it, good ones usually don't. Turn your sub amp off or down all the way, turn the high amp all the way down too. Then turn the HU all the way up, go turn the high amp up just so it sounds normal and not loud in the car. Listen closely and if it is not clear (distortion/clipping) turn it down until it goes away, then down a few more. That point is as high as you should ever turn that HU up to. Then turn your amps back up so they max at that number.

HU, I like the pioneer 880 when I have enough play money around.
Old 3rd December 2007, 03:49 AM   #6
ppia600 is offline ppia600  United States
diyAudio Member

I have a kenwood kdcx890, love it. Get another kenwood, I couldn't find anything else better new for the price.
Old 3rd December 2007, 01:57 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Stuck with Alpine and got the CDA-9885. I didn't really like the look of the Pioneer with everything blue in color and even though it had a USB input on it, I didn't want to run into the same situation I had with the Clarion and the sound of ticking when it's running a USB device and my burned cd's are doing just fine. None of the Kenwood's appealed to me and there was one for a pretty good price but it looked just about exactly the same as my old one and it was sold out anyways. All I need is the 4V preouts to make the bass hit harder and better like it did before and it should now. Plus I hope the Bio Lite display will be more clearer to read than the 9883 but it's not a real issue and the remote is a definate plus with the 9885. I will try some adjustments on the amp if needed but I really don't think that will be necessary with the 4V preouts now. I should be good to go. Crutchefield is so awesome...They emailed me a prepaid UPS label and I just tape it on the box and send back. They are only a day away with shipping so they should receive it tomorrow and then they will ship the other unit out to me that day so I should have my new unit by Wednesday. Just have to deal with no radio for about a day
Old 3rd December 2007, 06:39 PM   #8
jpruden is offline jpruden  United States
diyAudio Member

Please let us know how it goes... I'm considering making the jump from Sony to Alpine, but I'm really nervous about SQ.

I'm still using head units from the 1990s so I can use my external digital processor, but if the Alpine works well, I can move forward with a new setup and sell off all of my Sony gear... and AudioControl and ...

Ugh.
Old 6th December 2007, 01:49 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hey jol50...I saw another post you had that you also had some 12" speakers. I have 2 12's as well and was wondering, since you have a Alpine as well, what might be some good settings for the headunit to get it to sound really good? I believe I'm almost there with the CDA-9885 but when I think it sounds awesome, some songs that sounded great on the Kenwood, aren't as good on the Alpine but then I go to more songs that have a higher bit rate when burned and it kicks butt. I'm still tweaking some settings and it might take a little time but I think I'm getting there. It's a different headunit than a Kenwood and the settings I use to have with my older unit are not going to be the same on this one. So I have to have a little fun with it. Here are my settings right now...You can PM or email (not sure which on this board as I don't see a PM box or anything anywhere) me if you want to go over some things. I just want to get it sounding like it did with my Kenwood. Otherwise, I'd hate to do it, I might exchange the unit for another Kenwood again. I really like this unit and all but I haven't tested out my latest turn on the gain so we'll see.

SW Vol: 10
Sub type setting: 1
Bass: 3
Bass Bandwidth: Q1
Treble: -1
Treble Center Freq: 12.5
HPF: 120 or 160 (If on through it distorts my door speakers when volume is cranked up. Didn't do this on my Kenwood but oh well)
LPF: 80 (but 60 sounds a little harder kick...over 80 a bit and the sound is a bit muddy)
Balance: 0
Fader: 0
Loud: Off
Volume: Usually between 21-24 right now

Aslo, anyone know good settings for frequencies for Low Pass for Rock? I was told to keep it 80hz but any lower frequency and a lot of the bass guitar is cut out. Also, if I have it a little higher than 80, like at 100 on the amp, it kicks and sounds a bit better.

Also, wondering about frequencies for highs?
Old 6th December 2007, 04:11 PM   #10
jpruden is offline jpruden  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Flyin... you mentioned bit rate... are you playing MP3 files from a CD or burned audio CDs?

I've noticed a HUGE difference in SQ between low and high bitrate files that have been burned to an audio CD. Mostly in the treble, but also in how the bass *sounds*... it sounds really blatty on the lower bitrate files.

With the cabin gain we get in our cars, you have to watch for *too much* bass. Right now, I'm crossing over at 78 Hz (Sony has odd settings... ) and I'm getting about the right amount on most rock tunes, but WAY too much on hip hop. When I change the setting to 62 Hz, it really thins out on rock recordings, but the hip hop keeps on booming.

You're also underlapping your crossover settings... that is, you're setting the high and low settings to different values. This may be good due to its counter-effect on the whole cabin gain thing, but you can also get a suck out on the frequency response if they're too far apart. My settings above are both with the front stage set to a 78 Hz xover frequency. When I underlap, it sounds very tight... and when I don't, it sounds a bit fat. You're running two 12" subs, though. Those drivers will have WAY more output than your front stage can even dream of staying up with, unless you're running 8" drivers for your midbass or a pair of smaller drivers. I think I'd try setting the front stage to 100 Hz, the subs to about 60 or 80 Hz and see how that goes...

You might also want to check the xover settings on your amp... if you're double filtering, it could do some really odd stuff. I've got 36 dB/octave filters in my processor and 24 dB/octave on my amps... when they're both turned on, it sounds *really* bad. Also, where is "10" on the SW Vol? Is that all the way up? You may also want to turn down the SW Vol and turn up the gain on your bass amp.

Just my 2 cents.... YMMV.

Hide this!Advertise here!