Dimming lights

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As the Idiot sad its better that you connect the alpine directly to the battery because mine has 20amp fuse "alpine 9813r"so its drawing lot of power where the car manufactures dont have in mind that you will need 20 amps for the radio, so the box with the fuses from the car maybe are in danger and you can probably blow a fuse from that box and you will be all in questions what happend now.

So connect the + from the alpine directly to the batery with a decent power cable also i think that the lights from the dash will not going to dimm because probably there are led's and not normal bulbs, where the headlight are other thing.

Other point is to ground the unit properly and maybe your amplifier for the sub is drawing lot of power so you can add a capacitor for the amplifier that is powering the sub:D and if you use thin cables for all of the setup can cause dimming instead of useing big fat cables, also its better that you do "The Big 3" search on google because am lazy to explain it right now but big 3 is a very good upgrade that doesent cost a lot.

P.S also replace the + that goes from the battery to the main box with fuses under the hood with nice awg2 or awg0 a nice upgrade for future who knows maybe you will add more amps............ :D

If the head unit has crossovers for the internal amp, set them to high pass and ~200Hz. That will take some of the stress off of the head unit's internal amp.

A better option would be to use an external amp. Using the internal amplifiers will make the head unit run extremely hot. With no speaker load on the head unit, light dimming should not be a problem.

You can grab an older alpine 30wx2 off ebay cheap and they work pretty well if you run HP on them. Just make sure if it takes plugs or DIN they come with it (the old black ones some have plugs). Maybe $20-50 will get you one of the smaller ones shipped. They sound nice, if you want really loud it will cost you more. Even the 30w x 4 go cheap often, the 40-50w/ch are more. Pretty sure the old black ones are mostly rated at 12v, so 30w is more like 45 at todays ratings. Or of course, get some other amp if you want...if it were me I'd rather have a real 30w x2 amp than any HU running speakers. I keep a couple amps like that around just in case.

jol50 said:
You can grab an older alpine 30wx2 off ebay cheap and they work pretty well if you run HP on them. Just make sure if it takes plugs or DIN they come with it (the old black ones some have plugs). Maybe $20-50 will get you one of the smaller ones shipped. They sound nice, if you want really loud it will cost you more. Even the 30w x 4 go cheap often, the 40-50w/ch are more. Pretty sure the old black ones are mostly rated at 12v, so 30w is more like 45 at todays ratings. Or of course, get some other amp if you want...if it were me I'd rather have a real 30w x2 amp than any HU running speakers. I keep a couple amps like that around just in case.

Haha, yeah. I just lost an auction on one. I was trying to get one to run my center channel. There are plenty of them so Im off to search again. :)

Alpine, here is one dirty old rag that will be shipped on a gold plated UPS truck to you... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALPI...002QQitemZ120189608495QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
I see them go for under 20 at times, never the times you need one naturally! I meant to get another so I could bridge two but forgot about that project after I found a 4ch like that.

If you are not into wiring, you might try the fuse box, most cars are wired for 60+ amps or something in the fusebox. I was running a 150wrms and a 60wrms old school amps on a 8ga out of the fuse box. Then I put a 300wrms old school amp on the sub, but never cranked that one at night. Then I put a 5ga wire in from battery and 700wrms, but a new 5ch amp rated at 14v and its not much better. This in a smaller 4cyl car. It dims a little at wot.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.