I must have the worse luck - Clarion EQ - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th November 2007, 07:41 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default I must have the worse luck - Clarion EQ

So I just ordered a new Clarion 7 band EQ on line. I get it, open the box, hook up the ground, 12v + , and remote, and.... NOTHING!!!! Freakin thing is dead on arrival. Whats up with the damn QC tested sticker on the body? It obviously doesn't work.
Old 28th November 2007, 08:49 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Well at least the company was nice about letting me return it. Anyone else have a good name brand puke out of the box?
Old 28th November 2007, 09:37 PM   #3
shagone is offline shagone  United States
diyAudio Member

when you buy online you get better prices but you often take a risk. most online vendors are not authorized by the companies that make the products they sell. they could be grey market items or refurbished units or even return items that appear new. local craigslist is a good place to find a deal plus you can test before you buy in most cases.

as far as clarion quality goes, i once had a 1/2 DIN clarion pro audio eq/crossover that was very nice and got the job done with no noise but that was years ago (late 90's). i'm not even sure they make the pro-audio line any more?
Old 28th November 2007, 10:11 PM   #4
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

A lot of these companies are bringing in these cheap packages from China, you see them on ebay. There are MTX, Bazooka, Magnum (visonic, possibly audiobahn by the looks of the guts), etc. They are amp and loaded sub box ready for your trunk. If they don't work they end up on ebay, no repairs. I have one of the bazookas (190rmsx1at2ohms) that would not shut off. It worked ok, must be close to rating and ok for sub IMO. I looked and looked at it, finally found a resistor soldered together in the remote/power section. Scraped it out and works fine...but there is a "QC Passed" sticker on top of one of the big caps! No rework done on it, clamps factory glued. You know it was that way from the start and never even got used, just returned. Have another with a broken gain pot, but it is not even worth fixing if the part is $10...if that is all that is wrong with it.
Old 28th November 2007, 11:27 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shagone
when you buy online you get better prices but you often take a risk. most online vendors are not authorized by the companies that make the products they sell. they could be grey market items or refurbished units or even return items that appear new. local craigslist is a good place to find a deal plus you can test before you buy in most cases.

as far as clarion quality goes, i once had a 1/2 DIN clarion pro audio eq/crossover that was very nice and got the job done with no noise but that was years ago (late 90's). i'm not even sure they make the pro-audio line any more?

It looked brand spanking new, I assume it was. I hate going into stores these days with all the monkeys behind the counter trying to sell you $hit you don't need...

Funny how the Clarion box said made in China. WTF?!?!? Is anything made in the US anymore?
Old 29th November 2007, 02:36 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hey Pityo it might not be bad luck. Have you read your profile? LOL I hope you get the system fixed. I know you have been working really hard at it. Keep us posted.
Old 29th November 2007, 05:13 AM   #7
ppia600 is offline ppia600  United States
diyAudio Member

I bought a performance teknique 5.1 parametric SRS eq for like 38 bucks shipped brand new. I tried it and it powers up fine and shows signal level on the led bars. Now I just have to try it in the car. I took it apart and it definately is capable of 7v rms output with the power supply transformer it has inside. I just hope it has no engine noise. We'll see when I finally get a chance to install my other a600.2.
The eq's internal build quality is definately worth more than what I payed.
Old 10th December 2007, 03:26 AM   #8
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

My friend just paid two bills for a LP PA2, only 5v output and 20 yr old I got one all ripped apart.

Hide this!Advertise here!