Isobaric, whatcha think?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
going through alot of different designs in my mind, i have 6 subs ready to go in..recently i was thinking about doing 3 iso pairs.

whats the downfalls of iso?

which do you think woud be louder 6 normal subs, or 3 iso pairs?

both would be in the optimum enclosures...im trying to figure out if the extra motor force from the iso's would be beneficial in any way other than a smaller enclosure.

thanx

Isobaric is good for small drivers. It lowers the Fs.
For example: you have an 8" sub with Fs of 50Hz, for an iso setup
with 2 of the same 8" drivers, multiply the Fs by .707... so your new
Fs is 35.35 for the same enclosure volume.

Or, you could reduce the enclosure volume when using the iso setup.
I'm not an expert and never built any speaker cabs that were iso, but
I read something about them on wikipedia.

Hi,

6 normal subs maximum level is louder than 3 isobaric by 6dB.
ispobaric is moreorless the same a 3 normal drivers.

Isobaric does not lower Fbox. It allows the correctly designed Fbox
for the alignment to be realised by a cabinet of ~ half the volume.

:)/sreten.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
isobaric is 6dB quieter than a single driver for the same power input, ofcourse, the isobaric has two speakers working as one, so you can give it twice the power, meaning its only 3dB quieter.

having said that, SIX woofers in a "normal" box will need four times the box volume that an isobaric enclosure with three pairs would need...

and three pairs of speakers in an isobaric setup would be 9dB less efficient than the same six woofers in a normal box, and would still only handle the same power.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
ppia600 said:
I understand the difference, but seems like a lot of extra work when you can just use time correction and eq, or just buy a single solobaric type woofer. But I guess sometimes its just fun to have a project. Either way you need to use more power, correct?

an EQ can make a woofer sound the same in a box half the volume?

as someone said, please, get your facts right.

lol

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
TWOJZ said:
an EQ can make a woofer sound the same in a box half the volume?

You can get the same FR using something like a linkwitz transform, but you need more power and you use up excursion much more quickly so the EQed speaker is going to be much more strained... better i think to solve the problem acoustically than electronically.

dave

PS: one thing that doesn't get mentioned is that with isobarik you have 2 cones for any reflections to get back thru the cone, so an isobarilk can sound less boxy.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
planet10 said:

You can get the same FR using something like a linkwitz transform, but you need more power and you use up excursion much more quickly so the EQed speaker is going to be much more strained... better i think to solve the problem acoustically than electronically.

isn't that normally referred to as "bass boost" :p lol

also, if you have a box thats half the volume its meant to be, chances are you'll be 10dB quieter at lower frequencies than the right sized box, and 10dB increase is going to require 10 times the power :p

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
planet10 said:

basically yes...but 10 dB sounds like a number pulled out of a hat

dave

it was, but the point is still valid...

lets assume we want a good solid response down to 30Hz, from a 12inch sub...

now, the sub I'm looking at, in 50 litres, tuned to 30Hz, will be -2.6dB at 30Hz....

half the enclosure volume to 25 litres, still tuned to 30Hz, and now you have -7.7dB at 30Hz

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
this is what I found in some pocket book which came with blaupunkt subwoofer:
"Increasing in popularity in recent years is the compound woofer design, more commonly known as the "Isobaric" design. Isobaric actualy means "constant pressure" which is the case having two woofers moving an encapsulated pocket of air between them in the same direction. This arrangement acts like a single speaker which effectively reduces the required box volumes for a subwoofer system by 50% which is substantial if you are space limited. Unfortunately, the trade off for space is the 3 dB loss in efficiency but this is usually recovered with the increased amplifier power. Care must be taken to avoid air leaks between the two woofers and final speaker wiring and impedance loads must be carefully watched. "

one more thing, you do have only -3dB loss, but remember, you reach the same lower fr response with half the box volume with the same excursion, even you have the same cone area, you have twice the magnet power, so its the speakers with twice the motor

aaah, one more final thing, when you have two woofers acting as one, lets say each 8 ohm, you will most likely wire them in paralel to obtain 4 ohms, which giver you higher loudness as one single 8 ohm speaker (I know I am not comparing to 4 ohm now), but by reducing the impedance you are back to the same efficiency...

I have done some isobaric subwoofers in the past, especialy the one "monolith" which was made out of single concrete monoblock, with two isobaric pairs, that was one of the best subwoofers I ever made
unfortunately I had to leave it behing....

- Why would the motor force increase? The only thing that would increase is the volume of air that is being moved. The actual coils would require more power due to the decreased sealed side volume.

Also TWOJZ, why did you decide on your box design over doing something isobaric?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.