Just thinking here.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
While back I heard a system with 4-8" subs that would beat you to death! If I remember it was 4 old school pyle drivers with 2 ADS amps in the back of a 87 I-ROC camaro. the box was in the rear hole that they have. was wondering how 4 good 8" subs would sound in my jeep cherokee with my PPI PCX-2200? sub in the line of JBL mid line, mabey some L5 kickers. Just a thought.

It's been my experience that smaller subs seem to "hit" harder for lack of a better word. They won't go as low as 12's or 15's, but some larger subs sound too muddy to me.

A friend of mine had two bazooka 6.5" tubes in a toyota 4X4 and you could feel the kick from the bass drum. He had about 100 watts going to each one and it sounded really good, lots of midbass.

In my suv, it's a different story. I had a kicker 12" that would go low, but it lacked the impact of my friends bazookas. I'm not saying it didn't have impact, it was just more pronounced with the small subs.

A few years ago, in one of the car audio mags, they showed a setup in a cherokee with about twelve 6.5" bazookas and in the caption, the author stated that the bass was really really tight, but not very low.

I think some 8's would be a good compromise for what you are looking for. Sound faster than 12's or 15's and play lower than a bazooka.

Four eights or even 10's would sound great. You will still have low bass because although the smaller speakers don't individually produce as much of the lower stuff, all together the total db of the low frequency will add up. Some competitors actually run more smaller subs rather than fewer larger subs. If you can get a set of headphones with 15mm drivers to produce sub frequencies, you can get four 8's to do it. ;)

ahhh, i use to have a transam...similiar car to the iroc...

for these cars the bass reflects off the hatchback, the location of the subs is also far enough to where the low bass has more room to develop the wavelength....the reflection off the back glass also helps to put things 'more' in phase by the time it hits your ears....the space in the boot is also quite lare enough to accomodate the 4-8's

a cherokee has more interior room than that iroc, so it will take more power to compress the interior, but given that the length from front to back is also pretty long such as the iroc , you will get similiar lows but it wont shake you as much as the iroc.

id make a box that either points back, or to the side, ideally id make a box that points 45 degrees towards the back, with ports on the side.

as far as the muddiness, its all in the tuning of the box, also the volume of it...if your box breaths properly it wont be muddy at all.

My friend had a mid 80s firebird. In that we just had a heavy carpeted board over that bottom hole and two of the old pyle 10s, the huge heavy ones with 8" magnets and thick paper cones. It was pretty good. Later we added 6x9 in triangle boxes to each side of the subs and ran them full range on the same size amp I think a coustic 300, they were square then like a LP. It tightened the bass up and increased it. It was impressive back then. He didn't want to give up trunk space. Back then I had a late 70s firebird with 10s and 6x9 in rear deck, plus 10s into the rear seat. That car, the trunk, it was flat out awesome. It came with the thunder, they would get pretty low. One of the best sounding/performing IB setups I ever had. You could feel your hair move all the time.

It will probably sound pretty awesome as long as you're not planning on playing sine waves (read: bass CDs)

My last system in my Audi used a pair of 8" JL Audio IB series woofers in the rear deck... and except for the lowest bass, they absolutely rocked. I could feel my hair move when I played music with strong natural bass content (read: Rush or the Police)

In fact, I had a replacement all lined up in the JL Audio 8.3 microsub, but decided to go with a single 12" driver. It offers much higher SPL in the lower bass region, but in all honesty, doesn't blend with my Dynaudios quite as well as the 8s.

That was always an issue with IB subs, though many now say it never was. 8s sound great except for the lowest notes, but can't take much power. 10s are the best compromise and take reasonable power. 12s take more and hit 30Hz easy IB, but you lose the punch even though those people will tell you they all sound the same....they don't. That is why I am going with 8s in my doors and 12s or 15s IB in back. Will run subs low like 50 and less then 8s above that. When I get time to get back on that project. My 4 12s sound great IB for 50Hz and less, might swap to 2 15s to lose weight though. The other issue is with subs that strong its hard to get midbass to match them, thus trying the 8s.

I have 2 12's in a sealed box and love the sound!!! I use to have 3 10 inch old school Kickers a long time ago but I can tell you, the 2 12's kick those 3 10's to the curb!! I love how when the bass guitar hits, everything shakes...Including my pants, legs, and hair!! It's awesome...Sometimes the kick drums aren't too punchy but that's very rair for me and even then, when the bass notes hit, it's awesome....I love the way my 12's sound and all I listen to is Rock!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.