Any rumors on 2008 Head Units

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
New Alpine

I got a new 2008 Model Alpine CDA-9886 Seems great so far. It has (3) 4v Pre Outs, USB, and Ipod Integration. The USB and Ipod Integration are real fast, faster than the sony, and pioneers.
The Only Issue I am having is a software glitch with my Gen 5.5 Ipod 80GB, and the Alpine HU. I Can't have more than 4000 songs on the Ipod, If I do I get a "no song" error. I talked to Alpine TS, and Apple TS, and they both said to wait for apple to issue it's next firmware update, in Feb. That will fix the issue.
As far as the ongiong argument about lossy compression of music, I gave in. I have been holding on to cd's for ever. My changer broke from my last HU, and I bought an Ipod. I can get approx 10,000 songs on an 80Gb Ipod, most of them at Min (320) compression. I can hear the difference, but it stillsounds much better than my Sirius or FM radio, and when I get out, I can take all of my music with me.

If I could fit a couple hundred, even up to 1K songs with no compression (or lossless) that would be fine for me. I can swap out now and then so that would be more than enough for on the road. But I want them on something that if a dog eats it/other termination, I don't get very upset. That is one thing I don't like about ipod/mp3 players; they are not media but a device and often expensive ones. Even burnt DVD would work but has been surpassed with chips after the industry held DVD back so long that nobody used it....and of course DVD are as bad as CD to handle but still expendable.

I like Alpine, they will be on my list when I get a new HU. Let us know how it works out for you. The old one I have now has buttons for volume, that is only thing I don't like.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.