Any rumors on 2008 Head Units

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Am I the only one that doesn't like Pioneer's new one knob control scheme? ******* drives me crazy when I don't feel like using the remote. Trying to use a menu while driving is not wise. I really hope they go back to the dual knob/rocker scheme.

Another thing I'm hoping for is more flash capable players (preferably USB) as well as, now I'm dreaming here, ones with upgradable hard drives. Boy, I'd like to get all 160 gb of my MP3's on there.

Even though I have that little issue that I explained in a previous post about my Clarion, it has a USB cable on it and I hear you on the flash drive point :D I just purchased a 8gb flash drive off Ebay and can't wait to try that thing out. I can fit like 220 albums with 11 songs a piece on there :eek: Anyways, it's A LOT more than what I usually carry around with me in CD's and in my 6 disc changer. Good bye to cd's and their scratches and space and good bye to my changer. All my songs on 1 small flash drive...Awesome :D :cool:

Just got back from CES. I looked at all the new models. Since I'm only interested in iPod integration it looks like Alpine is the winner although they still refuse to put in proper EQ without adding another unit (imprint). These all only come with bass/treble. 2V out. The sales rep went on a long rampage that people misunderstand preamp out and 2V was plenty even though their 9887 has 4V

I personally don't want to get stuck with an Ipod (I like flexability in my brand options). So, that's why I like the flash options. But it certainly doesn't hurt to have the ability. It's kind of a shame that Apple isn't allowing the rest of the industry to use their standard so that other devices can be controlled.

Actually, in my experience, 1 volt it plenty to drive an amp. I still have my 500mv setup in my Jeep & even with my ears up to the speakers, I can't hear any noise. Especially over the engine & road noise. The 4 volt specification is mostly marketing. Heck, I've ran into many amps that would clip with full volume from the 4 volt units. So, you couldn't turn the radio all the way up (which is still fine if you are careful with it). It's not that 4 volts is a bad thing, it's just not necessary. If it were between the extra 2 volts & extra features, I'd go for the features.

Pioneer has a few units that have a full EQ in them (DEX-P9 off the top of my head). In fact, they started that about 15 years ago. The DEX-88 had a 31 band EQ & SFC as well. However, those were like $1000ish & very rare. Also, I found them to be terribly cumbersome due to the huge amount of setup necessary. Maybe I'm getting old (can I say that at 30?), but I'm more & more gravitating back to the 10 band 1/2 DIN EQs with sliders. Of course if you're competing, then get the best, but for every day use it's hard to beat simple.

I never paid attention to the 4V pre-amp spec until a year ago when my trusty great SQ Sony started skipping on the CDs. I bought another Sony - top model - and now my system sounds like hell. I was warned Sony isn't what it used to be SQ wise. Another person said its because it only had 2V out. Maybe it just sucks and has nothing to do with the pre-amp voltage.

I looked at the Pioneer and while the look nice when the rep took me through the MP3 controls it was a joke. Do these engineers realize someone has to actually drive a car while the fiddle with the controls.

I never owned Alpine before and I'm leaning towards it now due to ease. I should've mentioned the units will control other MP3 with a different cable.

I agree a couple flash sticks would be best.

If you didn't adjust the gains on the amps or preamps, then I can believe that it didn't sound the same. Every time the head unit is changed, alot of tuning is necessary.

I totally agree with you on the Pioneer's ergonomics. I had one of their top end units & quickly replaced it after way to many dangerous menu sessions. I just thought if you really wanted an all-in-one solution that I'd mention it for you.

Alpine is very good & always has been in my opinion. I give them kudos for some nice displays that tell you useful information instead of blinding you with dolphins. You certainly can't go wrong with them. Also check out Blaupunkt's better units. They have served me well.

Well, I'm surfing the Alpine website & amp impressed by the units that have MTP protocol support (which I've never heard of). Still wish that the entire industry would stop competing on this, but that's not Apple's way, nor Microsoft for that matter.

How do I adjust gain on an amp? The preamp is built into the head unit. My amp is a tri-amp Soundstream which just has crossover settings.

I did see some impressive units from Blaupunkt.

Truthfully I wish Apple would make a car head unit. As a lifelong Mac user I like a GU that's simple and intuitive - especially in a car.

According to Alpine they worked with Apple to the point where Apple has to approve their advertising. Still its a little clunky compare to actually working a iPod.

If you aren't aware of how to adjust the gain, it may not be a good idea to do yourself. However, if you really want to, turn the gain on your amp all the way down first. It should have a gain knob or pot somewhere. Soundstreams usually need a screwdriver to adjust. Turn your radio all the way up until you hear distortion (using very dynamic music). Then turn it down a notch (if you never hear distortion, then leave it all the way up). Then turn the gain up (clockwise) until you hear distortion in the music & once again, turn it down a bit till it's gone. You're done. Try it on a bunch of different music at high volumes to be sure everything's good.

I'm real confident about doing it if I was smart enough to know it was there.

I rebuilt the amp when it blew a op-amp so I should be able to do the gain. I'll have to look at the manual I have. Its a MC-245.

Thanks!! That would be great to be able to listen to music again without gritting my teeth and playing with the 7-EQ all the time.

I should hope if you could replace the op-amps, that you can find the gains. They should be in holes between the fins above the RCA inputs. Since you have multiple inputs, you want to adjust each one & since you have a seperate gain for both left & right channels, you will want to try to keep them matched.

Here's a picture of a similar amp to yours with the gains circled:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I am Disappointed that I have not seen a wireless high speed internet connection in a head unit that would allow you to play music and videos off of a mainframe or your own pc.

Why have an ipod that holds 3000 songs, I would rather have one that holds 0 but has immediate access to every song or movie recorded.

Gives me worked up just thinking about it.
:D

That's a nice idea, but I don't think that 95% of the people out there would be able to figure out how to network their car. However, if you want to, you could do it with a one of those cellular do-hickies connected to a car pc. True, that's a clumsy way to do it. I imagine that some day in the next 50 years, it won't matter much, because everything will be connected in such a way & all of our stuff will be in a mainframe somewhere to be accessed at a moments notice for the fee of only $99 a month.

That's a nice idea, but I don't think that 95% of the people out there would be able to figure out how to network their car. However, if you want to, you could do it with a one of those cellular do-hickies connected to a car pc. True, that's a clumsy way to do it. I imagine that some day in the next 50 years, it won't matter much, because everything will be connected in such a way & all of our stuff will be in a mainframe somewhere to be accessed at a moments notice for the fee of only $99 a month.

It wont be long after that a robot will come back in time and try to kill Sara Conner.

Jonny Hotnuts said:
I am Disappointed that I have not seen a wireless high speed internet connection in a head unit that would allow you to play music and videos off of a mainframe or your own pc.

Why have an ipod that holds 3000 songs, I would rather have one that holds 0 but has immediate access to every song or movie recorded.

Gives me worked up just thinking about it.

Wide wireless bandwidth for everybody is just not practical.

I don't even know if cars, consumer electronics, internet and mobile phones will continue to be possible once life style in some parts of the world changes and everybody in China, South America and Africa starts to demand a sports car, a mobile phone, an internet connection and a dozen electronic appliances. This amounts to several billion people, but we live in a world with limited natural and energy resources.

They told us to grow and multiply without having a clue on the consequences (as usual) :D:D:D

Lots of new technology looks like junk to me. The quality is not there in lossy compression for music, I can't stand all the re-run TV shows that have pitiful video and sound quality. My cable provider here wants me to get a land line from them....who are they kidding so my phone dies every time there is a storm on this side of the state? Get some snow or bad weather and your dish does not work, most of these cheap appliances you buy now are throw away junk and do not work well. I mean can't anyone make a good working <$15 toaster now? No they can't after all this time. Our air control and phone systems in the US are from the 60s, they were all made with sliderules! What kind of junk do you want me to swallow next? The music industry is a mess with them so diligently trying to kill themselves and the media sucks. Took me near 10 minutes to open a new DVD yesterday by hand with all the 10,000lb tinsel strength plastic stickers all the way around it that must be removed with no easy way to do so. The tape is stronger than the case, one day I tore a whole case in half but the tape on the end held. At least they don't crack if you look at them funny like the CD cases do, that are taped shut nearly as badly. I think my next step will be solid state media I can plug into the HU, that is about the only good thing I see now that cost is so low for it. I'm still using records, er, CDs I mean since they are about as user friendly in a car.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.