Any rumors on 2008 Head Units - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th November 2007, 04:00 AM   #1
phrarod is offline phrarod  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Any rumors on 2008 Head Units

I need to replace the one in my roadster and I've been waiting for something that has superb iPod integration and SQ.

Any rumors on new Head Units being announced at CES in January?
Old 26th November 2007, 03:13 AM   #2
Flyin11 is offline Flyin11  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm anxious to see what the new units look like as well Anybody heard any rumors or seen any pics?
Old 26th November 2007, 07:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Am I the only one that doesn't like Pioneer's new one knob control scheme? ******* drives me crazy when I don't feel like using the remote. Trying to use a menu while driving is not wise. I really hope they go back to the dual knob/rocker scheme.

Another thing I'm hoping for is more flash capable players (preferably USB) as well as, now I'm dreaming here, ones with upgradable hard drives. Boy, I'd like to get all 160 gb of my MP3's on there.
Old 26th November 2007, 07:35 PM   #4
Flyin11 is offline Flyin11  United States
diyAudio Member

Even though I have that little issue that I explained in a previous post about my Clarion, it has a USB cable on it and I hear you on the flash drive point I just purchased a 8gb flash drive off Ebay and can't wait to try that thing out. I can fit like 220 albums with 11 songs a piece on there Anyways, it's A LOT more than what I usually carry around with me in CD's and in my 6 disc changer. Good bye to cd's and their scratches and space and good bye to my changer. All my songs on 1 small flash drive...Awesome
Old 11th January 2008, 11:50 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Just got back from CES. I looked at all the new models. Since I'm only interested in iPod integration it looks like Alpine is the winner although they still refuse to put in proper EQ without adding another unit (imprint). These all only come with bass/treble. 2V out. The sales rep went on a long rampage that people misunderstand preamp out and 2V was plenty even though their 9887 has 4V
Old 12th January 2008, 03:04 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I personally don't want to get stuck with an Ipod (I like flexability in my brand options). So, that's why I like the flash options. But it certainly doesn't hurt to have the ability. It's kind of a shame that Apple isn't allowing the rest of the industry to use their standard so that other devices can be controlled.

Actually, in my experience, 1 volt it plenty to drive an amp. I still have my 500mv setup in my Jeep & even with my ears up to the speakers, I can't hear any noise. Especially over the engine & road noise. The 4 volt specification is mostly marketing. Heck, I've ran into many amps that would clip with full volume from the 4 volt units. So, you couldn't turn the radio all the way up (which is still fine if you are careful with it). It's not that 4 volts is a bad thing, it's just not necessary. If it were between the extra 2 volts & extra features, I'd go for the features.

Pioneer has a few units that have a full EQ in them (DEX-P9 off the top of my head). In fact, they started that about 15 years ago. The DEX-88 had a 31 band EQ & SFC as well. However, those were like $1000ish & very rare. Also, I found them to be terribly cumbersome due to the huge amount of setup necessary. Maybe I'm getting old (can I say that at 30?), but I'm more & more gravitating back to the 10 band 1/2 DIN EQs with sliders. Of course if you're competing, then get the best, but for every day use it's hard to beat simple.
Old 12th January 2008, 04:28 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I never paid attention to the 4V pre-amp spec until a year ago when my trusty great SQ Sony started skipping on the CDs. I bought another Sony - top model - and now my system sounds like hell. I was warned Sony isn't what it used to be SQ wise. Another person said its because it only had 2V out. Maybe it just sucks and has nothing to do with the pre-amp voltage.

I looked at the Pioneer and while the look nice when the rep took me through the MP3 controls it was a joke. Do these engineers realize someone has to actually drive a car while the fiddle with the controls.

I never owned Alpine before and I'm leaning towards it now due to ease. I should've mentioned the units will control other MP3 with a different cable.

I agree a couple flash sticks would be best.
Old 12th January 2008, 04:47 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

If you didn't adjust the gains on the amps or preamps, then I can believe that it didn't sound the same. Every time the head unit is changed, alot of tuning is necessary.

I totally agree with you on the Pioneer's ergonomics. I had one of their top end units & quickly replaced it after way to many dangerous menu sessions. I just thought if you really wanted an all-in-one solution that I'd mention it for you.

Alpine is very good & always has been in my opinion. I give them kudos for some nice displays that tell you useful information instead of blinding you with dolphins. You certainly can't go wrong with them. Also check out Blaupunkt's better units. They have served me well.

Well, I'm surfing the Alpine website & amp impressed by the units that have MTP protocol support (which I've never heard of). Still wish that the entire industry would stop competing on this, but that's not Apple's way, nor Microsoft for that matter.
Old 12th January 2008, 04:57 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

How do I adjust gain on an amp? The preamp is built into the head unit. My amp is a tri-amp Soundstream which just has crossover settings.

I did see some impressive units from Blaupunkt.

Truthfully I wish Apple would make a car head unit. As a lifelong Mac user I like a GU that's simple and intuitive - especially in a car.

According to Alpine they worked with Apple to the point where Apple has to approve their advertising. Still its a little clunky compare to actually working a iPod.
Old 12th January 2008, 08:02 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

If you aren't aware of how to adjust the gain, it may not be a good idea to do yourself. However, if you really want to, turn the gain on your amp all the way down first. It should have a gain knob or pot somewhere. Soundstreams usually need a screwdriver to adjust. Turn your radio all the way up until you hear distortion (using very dynamic music). Then turn it down a notch (if you never hear distortion, then leave it all the way up). Then turn the gain up (clockwise) until you hear distortion in the music & once again, turn it down a bit till it's gone. You're done. Try it on a bunch of different music at high volumes to be sure everything's good.

Hide this!Advertise here!