need help: clean gain switch - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd November 2007, 08:50 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default need help: clean gain switch

Hi there,

I recently bought an amp over the internet and my installer tested it for me.
He commented that the gain switch is causing some noise when the knob is tuned. He then recommended that I get it cleaned at an electronics shop.

Does anyone here knows how I can clean the gain switch myself?
I am not an expert like you guys here but I did study electrical engg about 15 yrs ago. So you can be a little technical, I should still be able to follow...

Any help is more appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Old 23rd November 2007, 10:05 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Any good contact cleaner will clean the pot. If you're going to use only one product, you 'don't' want something that says it leaves no residue. It will leave the pot dry and it will become noisy again.

If the pots have plastic housings, make sure you use products that are safe for use on plastics.

DeOxIt contact cleaners are very good but you need to use 2 products for good cleaning and long term protection. DeOxIt D5 is the cleaner I use. DeOxIt Gold is used for long term protection.

In some cases, the pots are damaged or worn and cleaning them will do little or nothing for the noise.

When you apply the cleaner, work the pot through it's entire range of travel until the pot is quiet.

Hide this!Advertise here!