Best SQ amp in a small package? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2007, 08:09 PM   #1
phrarod is offline phrarod  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Best SQ amp in a small package?

I'm looking for a small size amp that can replace the factory one behind a panel. Something no more than 8" long I suspect.

New or classic what would the recommendations be? I know that Alpine has the PDX but I don't know any reviews that raved about its SQ.
Old 22nd November 2007, 08:50 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The big question is what kind of factory system will it have to interface with?

What are your plans for it?

Do you need 4 channels?

Being out of the business for many years, I prefer the classic amps I am familiar with. They tend to be fantastic values, too.

Tim
Old 22nd November 2007, 08:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Doh. Sorry for the sketchy info.

It would be a three way system. pair 6.5 and 1" in the front. Pair of 6x9s in the rear.
Old 23rd November 2007, 12:40 AM   #4
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

That small....will an old soundstream fit? Most are 2ch though. I like the old alpines, good sound and not a crazy price most of the time. How much wattage (RMS) do you need? There are a pile of good old amps to be had, just need external crossover. PPI is another.
Old 23rd November 2007, 12:45 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

A 4-channel amp would be best then I could bridge for the rears. I have a Soundstream MC-245 in my other car and I was never in love with it. I just went through it and upgraded some parts and it still doesn't amaze me.

Something that will give excellent SQ is what I'm after. I don't need the thumping. Just good clear clean tight reproduction.
Old 23rd November 2007, 01:27 AM   #6
ppia600 is offline ppia600  United States
diyAudio Member

Buy a ppi pro mos 12 or pro mos 25 and run all speakers on it with some good external crossovers.
Old 23rd November 2007, 01:50 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

(MC-245) Really? I always wanted one. Was told back then guys from Nakamichi built those. My 3518 alpine is the cleanest amp I have ever run IMO, but only 2x30w and it runs hot so I use a fan. Likely rated at 12v though. I have a kicker right now (yeah cheap) and sure can't get it to sound even close to the alpine, going to take it out. Sub channel is ok on it, but highs not so good IMO. I've also heard of people running two 2ch, one on each side for front/rear. A 4x50rms alpine might work, I've tried to buy an older one but they go too high for me. Its the 3547, 355X, or something in there.

Bridge the rear? Are they 6x9 subs? People seem to pay a lot for the older alpine 5ch, like the mrv-f357 if you have room. Never used one, but most you can bridge it to a 3ch like my kicker. Also have an old 4x25 I have not used yet. I think the 35XX alpines are rated at 12v. Maybe I don't know, most people have limited interest in the alpines. I like them because when they distort, they lose it in a big way then you know its clean or turn it down. Have a little 2x75 PPI and was never that impressed with it, it was ok. But the other day I tore into it for a short and found mosfets loose....so it may have had issues. I was running a 12 with it bridged, just abusing it now and then can't believe it didn't grenade.
Old 23rd November 2007, 01:58 AM   #8
ppia600 is offline ppia600  United States
diyAudio Member

I STILL haven't remembered the brand I was referring someone to in another thread here. They make super thin amps, about an inch tall and not wide or deep. And still bridgeable with crossovers. Anyone else know which brand I'm talking about? They are a metallic bronzish color with a little chrome badge in the middle on top. Some weird off brand that really impressed me the couple of times we've installed them... Going to go look again...
Old 23rd November 2007, 02:25 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

ADS? They are good SQ too I have been told.
Old 23rd November 2007, 04:55 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I think I've seen those thin amps on the web about a year ago. I can't remember the name either even after some fruitless googling. Weren't they pretty expensive?

Anyway, if you heard them and they had great SQ I'd love to track them down again.

Hide this!Advertise here!