Best SQ amp in a small package? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd November 2007, 05:28 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Something that will give excellent SQ is what I'm after. I don't need the thumping. Just good clear clean tight reproduction.
All of these suggestions are "classic amps" that I've had a lot of experience with and would put in my own car. And I'm picky. All but the Autotek should be available at a steal.

ADS PQ8. Small, flat, very nice sounding amp. 25W x 4, but not bridgeable. 35W x 4 at 2 ohms. Most likely to fit your physical size requirements, and little to complain about beyond the akward gain adjustments. PQ10 would be even better at 40x4 and bridgeable, but maybe too big.
If I didn't already have a dozen more amps than I need, I'd buy this one:

PQ10 auction

Autotek 7288BTS... Wow, I'm not sure the # is right, but its 22W x4, made in the 90's. Made by Zed. Potent, bridgeable, and very clean. Also hard to find these days. I wish I had a dozen of them.

The little Alpine 3517, 3522's are pretty small and sound very nice. Only two channels at 2x25W or so, but run at 2 ohms all day long. Can usually be had for a song. Their 4 channel amps of that era are great, but too large for you. If you're willing to relocate the amp, a 3527s would be a perfect choice.

Do be careful that whatever you choose will be compatible with your head unit!

Tim
Old 23rd November 2007, 05:43 AM   #12
phrarod is offline phrarod  United States
diyAudio Member

Wow. Thanks for all the tips! I have to get something between the factory head unit and amp but I tracked down a inexpensive solution: Here

This is going into a 2007 Mini Cooper. You can see the factory amp in this photo. I don't have that amp because I ordered the base system knowing I would upgrade it. diagram of amp location

You can see the upgraded amp looks a little tall but squat. I don't have dimensions unfortunately.
Old 23rd November 2007, 06:02 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have to get something between the factory head unit and amp but I tracked down a inexpensive solution:
Don't spend your money yet, some amps ( like the Alpine 3527s) will accept speaker-level inputs without any hassle.

Neat diagram, IIRC Mini uses Harman Kardon amps and speakers. I've noticed them on ebay, maybe a search would reveal useful dimensions.

Do you feel strongly about using the factory amp location or would under the seat be an option?

Tim
Old 23rd November 2007, 06:07 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

The perfect space is under the passenger seat IF there aren't electronics in there which ours has (DSC) Not much room under the drivers. Hiding it where the factory one is would be perfect. I keep searching but I can't find dimensions. I did find this but can't make out the part number. hk amp

Just found the dimensions of the factory H/K amp:

"Just measured, 7.5" long, 4.5" high, 2.5"deep, mounted on frame. No more depth available, but plenty of room on the other dimensions."

I would imagine he means that the height is what he calls "deep"

Also found this regarding the head unit (which can't be changed because its part of the computer)

A few days ago, I decided to try to figure out what the specs are for the standard stock radio. I was able to come up with these figures:
Each individual speaker has a nominal impedance of 4-Ohms(stated on the back of each speaker).
The front speaker pairs(mids and woofers) are wired in parallel so the stereo sees each set as a 2-Ohm set.
The power output was measured to be: 15.2W @ 4-Ohms front ch, 26.6W @ 2-Ohms front ch, 17.2W @ 4-Ohm rear ch, ??W @ 2-Ohm rear ch.

Old 23rd November 2007, 06:41 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Looks like his dimensions may be right. Here's a shot of the amp. Very strange looking dimensions
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dynamat_d2x2924.jpg (96.1 KB, 451 views)
Old 23rd November 2007, 08:36 AM   #16
ppia600 is offline ppia600  United States
diyAudio Member

I think these are the tiny amps I was talking about, but on the page they don't look so small. Their other amps have too much blingy crap and I didn't even check the rest of the site.

http://www.audiofonics.com/ASP/Defau...?idCategory=89
Old 23rd November 2007, 02:35 PM   #17
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

I have a 3522 I scored for $13 shipped this spring, it was dirty and from a junkyard. I cleaned it good and it works like a charm except for one switch on the crossover that crackles when you mess with it, have to spray it. It looks quite nice, got lucky. I meant to compare it with the larger but same wattage 2x30 3518 and have not been able to. Sounded nice testing it. You might be able to run two of them and would have more mounting options for a weird shaped place. They are pretty thin, I could measure it for you. They are bridgable (@4ohm) and have a built in 80Hz LP/HP switch as I recall. Must be around 80x1 bridged. They are always on ebay but lack the high level harness usually, don't know what they cost.
Old 23rd November 2007, 05:09 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

ppia600: I don't think those are the amps you're thinking of. I too remember some very thin copper colored one IRC they were thin and long.
Old 23rd November 2007, 05:45 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

phrarod:
Quote:
Also found this regarding the head unit (which can't be changed because its part of the computer)
Which brings up another question –since outboard amps are a factory option, is there a preamp output on the head unit?

phrarod:
Quote:
Here's a shot of the amp. Very strange looking dimensions
Yeah, kinda chunky, but not unusual for a stock amp. It *does* look like the same space is available (at least without the trim panel) on the passenger side if you wanted to go with two 2-ch’s.

jol50:
Quote:
I meant to compare it with the larger but same wattage 2x30 3518 and have not been able to. Sounded nice testing it. You might be able to run two of them and would have more mounting options for a weird shaped place. They are pretty thin, I could measure it for you.
3522’s are about 8” x 5.5”, probably right under 2” thick. The “s” model uses screw terminals for power and speaker connections. And yep, rated at 80W mono into 4 ohms. I can post a spec sheet for most of these early 90's Alpine products for anyone interested.
The 3518 is more potent, more conservatively rated, but a little more noisy and more irritating to work with the connectors. Don’t get me wrong, the 3522 will drive a pair of 10’s with no sweat. Both are good amps and hard to beat for the prices you can get ‘em for nowdays. $13, shipped? That’s nice.

Tim
Old 23rd November 2007, 06:32 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Interesting on the pre-amp out question. I'll have to do more research. The only Alpine amps I heard weren't very involving. Pretty cold and sterile although my listening has been limited and I can't recall which amps there were.

I checked on eBay and they seem to go for ~$25-40 plus shipping.

Hide this!Advertise here!