Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th November 2007, 03:53 AM   #1
ppia600 is offline ppia600  United States
diyAudio Member

Talking Just bought possibly the last amp I'll ever need!

I finally bought another a600.2 and should get it in a few days, I'm so stoked. I'm going to be running a pair of them, one for the left (f/r) speakers and one for the right (f/r). It is going to sound awesome! Now I can use fader to adjust front and rear loudness to make the soundstage just right, and the channel seperation will be amazing. I even have a 5.1 SRS half din parametric eq I will be trying to see how much ambience it can add. It has outputs for front and rear l/r and center and subwoofer. (I'll have to figure out something to run the center speaker) Its cheap but may sound great if it doesn't make too much hiss or add any engine noise.

Now my only issue is which amp to use for the subs... I have to decide between the earthquake phd2 (small yet powerful and efficient) and the ppi pro mos 50 that is similar to the a600.2 amps in size and power output. (bigger and heavier than the phd2 and less efficient, but will complete an all ppi amp system)

Can't wait until the amp gets here, I'm so excited. Sorry, just had to tell everyone
Old 20th November 2007, 04:56 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to junglejuice
Why bother with a centre speaker, the left and rights are too close together to make it worth the effort.
All it will do is stuff up your imaging and staging.....

Nice amps by the way, are they the black ones like your ProMos 50 or are they the white art ones?
Old 20th November 2007, 10:54 AM   #3
Clipped is offline Clipped  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Clipped
...please dont pollute the shrine of the A600 with a dirty PHD2

its a sin i tell you...
Old 20th November 2007, 03:57 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by junglejuice
Why bother with a centre speaker, the left and rights are too close together to make it worth the effort.
All it will do is stuff up your imaging and staging.....

Nice amps by the way, are they the black ones like your ProMos 50 or are they the white art ones?
Well, I did this setup in a 79 280zx once, and all I did was use the + leads of a two channel JVC (real victor japan model) amp to create a "phantom" center channel. The car already had one speaker in the center stock. I had variable power resistor to adjust the volume of the center channel, it actually sounded pretty cool. The SRS eq I have now also has a center level control too, its supposed to be a "surround" effect. Who knows, if it sucks I just run normal 4 channel. Both a600.2's are white, too bad my car is so small and they are going under the seats.

Quote:
Originally posted by Clipped
...please dont pollute the shrine of the A600 with a dirty PHD2

its a sin i tell you...
Haha, but it is just SO powerful, and the crossover is excellent. When I use the ppi for subs, I have to use the crossover in the deck. Maybe the SRS eq will work some magic. Who knows?

Old 22nd November 2007, 12:06 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

A centre channel will 'muddy' your image. Just get some time alignment and create a 'real' soundstage

Nice amps by the by
Old 11th December 2007, 11:19 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Well I got my newest amp installed today and it sounds great. I just don't have the sub amp installed because I had to run its wires to the trunk and didn't have time to get it in. I'm running both amps at 40hz highpass to take it easy on them until I get the sub amp installed. I've got someone who is supposed to buy my 12's in a few days so I will buy a set of shallow subs then. I'm going to wait until the shallow subs come to reinstall the sub amp. I tried connecting the srs eq:

-Used a center speaker sitting on the dash to experiment
-I liked the center frequencies on the eq and it made everything seem more "alive" and crisp when the srs was on, also made some crazy echo effects with songs that already had synthesized echo
-the eq worked whether the srs effect was on or off
-no high pass for the front and rear outputs , and my amps don't have crossovers, but the eq did have a low pass for the sub output
-had a slight whine in every speaker no matter how I played with grounds. Seems like there is a ground loop between the eq input stage and its audio ic's. Maybe I should have checked to see if the eq input grounds were the same as the outputs. The deck's shield grounds are all ok. The eq was mounted in the same metal iso frame directly connected to the deck and obviously all power wires were shared.

Without the eq there was absolutely no whine, like before, so I left it out of the circuit for now. I may mess with it later but it sounds great without it.

Old 12th December 2007, 12:44 AM   #7
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

That is usually the problem with the cheap processors and crossovers. I would try a class D sub amp if you could, though I have limited experience with them. The power savings are nice for my application....thought the good old AB always seems to work nice.

You can play with some filters and try to clean it up, sometimes you can get them clean. You may have to do each wire into it but the ground, the remote wire can also carry noise even though the HU does not have any.
Old 12th December 2007, 05:11 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I checked with a meter and apparently the eq's jack shield leads are all floating ground type. None of them are grounded to the chassis or the power ground.(should be less prone to noise ) I'll try it again with a set of double ended male rca connectors, since I used a 3 ft cable to connect the deck rca output to the eq. Maybe that short distance was picking up a voltage difference, but I doubt it since the chassis of both the deck and eq are bolted into the same steel iso frame. I took a drive to go visit friends and it sounded great. Now I just need to pull out the temporary pioneers install my other polk component mids into the back deck. I won't be using the tweeters though, saving them in case I burn the fronts.
Old 12th December 2007, 08:24 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hmmm I see a pro mos 425 that looks real nice listed.... lol! I really need to pull my amp and change it out....just too busy.
Old 16th December 2007, 04:03 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Did you get further on this? I'm too busy playing with amps to work on the car....and its real cold out.

Hide this!Advertise here!