Audison & PG amp crossover help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Audison & PG amp crossover help!

I'm hooking up 4 dedicated amps to my Ford Focus. My main problem is I am have difficultly in understanding the selection buttons to the crossover on both the Audison LRX2 amps and PG Xenon amps.

What I am trying to do is:
Tweeter - Audison LRX 150 to see 20K to 3500
Mid - PG Xenon 100.2 to see 3500-200
Midbass - Audison LRX 250 to 200-80
Sub - PG Xenon 400.1 to see 80- 20

For those folks familiar with Audison amps, you may know what I running against. There is a combination of buttons that will make this work. I hope I am clear in my direction. Thanks

you could start by posting pictures of the controls of each amp or by posting what each amp has on it. that will help us to help you. and by stating exactly what you don't understand. most amps can't do what you are trying to do and may require more complex outboard x-overs but these amps might. you just have to let us know what you have available because most of us don't have these exact amps in front of us.

I just took some time to look at the manuals and this is not doable without an external crossover. You will need a single external high-pass filter to feed your lrx-250; most any headunit will be able to do this, you will just need to run an extra pair of cables.

Here's a summary of how the filters and pre-outs work on your amps:
The phoenix golds can be used in high or low pass or both (band-pass) on the speakers connected; the pre-outs aren't filtered for any setting.
The audison's have selectable high/low pass for the speakers; the pre-outs are the opposite of the amplifier signal (high pass for speakers means low-pass for the pre-out and vice versa); the high/low filters can be disabled, allowing the amplifier to run full range and the pre-out to be filtered or to run the amplifier filtered with a full-range pre-out.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Guys for responding to my questions. I enclose pics of the amps in question and the system itself.

Thanks PM650 for taking the time in researching my problem. I realize too the need of external crossover for the mid-bass Audison LRX amp. I do have a three way passive network which may work (mid: 4.5-500, mid-bass: 700-20).

Could this work?

On the PG mid amp, I could set high pass around 500 and low pass overlap around 500 on this amp.

Could this work?

Sorry here is the pics

Attachments

• a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 94
By passive network, are you talking about a preamp level non-active (i.e. unpowered) crossover? Personally, I'm not a fan of those and wouldn't recommend it, but its your setup.

Also, you said its a 3-way but you listed two band-pass frequency ranges? I'm a bit confused here.

Increasing the crossover point between mid & midbass would increase power handling on the mid a bit, expecially if its a small driver.

Sorry about not mentioning the remainder crossover point this is 4.5K to 20K.

I agree with you, I'm not a fan of passives either, but I do have it on hand to continue on with the set-up until I change it for an active unit.

Here is pic of the trunk set-up.

So, it sound like I will find a 4 way active crossover and incorporate that into the system, then I have all the flexibility I need to run the system properly.

Attachments

• a4.jpg
    a4.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 85
"Increasing the crossover point between mid & midbass would increase power handling on the mid a bit, expecially if its a small driver."

Yeah, it looks like i will have to do this. The mids are the 6.5 Illusion Audio LM-6 drivers, so there won't be any major power benefit here. They use upto 60 watts on those.

Any good 4 way crossover unit you guys can recommend?

Attachments

• a5.jpg
    a5.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 79
Can't recommend any brands personally; car audio isn't my area really. The passive should work fine if you decide to use it; frankly, I would use the integrated active crossovers and only use the passive for what the amp wont do (i.e. use the passive for the midbass and set the midbass amp crossover at 80hz highpass to get 80-700).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.