sound sensitive LEDs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i'm a noob here. i know a little about electronics cause i used to install car audio/video/alarms, but i don't know all the equations for the electronics or anything like that. basically i know resistors and wire guages.

anyways... i want to wire a few (2 or 3) LEDs into my car that get brighter as i rev up my motor. i want to place them inside the hood scoop on a Camaro SS. I've wired LEDs in a car before, but i've never done a sound sensitive wiring. I want them to get brighter as the engine gets louder.

what are the parts i need and maybe a simple wiring diagram to help me out. just let me know the part names (like the device that recognizes louder or softer sounds) and maybe how much voltage i should have running through everything.

thanx in advance.

The LM391x ICs are bar graph drivers and would be a good choice if you want to light more LEDs at higher volume. If you only need to make a group of LEDs brighter, you could use a mic to drive a simple amplifier circuit. The amplifier would make the LEDs brighter as the volume increased.

I don't know if this would work well without filtering. The mic would pick up any sound. Going down the highway, wind noise would make the LEDs light up.

Digikey has large selection of condenser mics that will work.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.