Kicker L7 rebuild

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
you have to make sure you center the middle of the voice coil with the top plate.

for the tinsels, use 10-12 gauge wire instead of tinsels, it will be louder.

you can use a piece of manilla folder for the sleeve to space the coil between the inner of the vc and the polepiece.

if you use 5 minute epoxy, mix it up then wait a while for it to become tacky then apply it, or else its going to run everywhere.

if you drop the coil down a bit your low bass will increase, but at the loss of full volume, if you hang the coil to high, vice versa and will lose cooling.

just center it.

JoeKnowsBasebal said:
i'm kinda disappointed in kicker. they seem to have weak voice coil wires... at first i thought it was my fault for running a 10" CVR on a JL Audio 250.1 @ 2 ohms but after reading this i'm not so sure it's my fault anymore...

Yep... They aren't holding up likie they should anymore because Kicker is having China build them.
I called Kicker to see if I could purchase a rebuild kit for my L7's and they told me they don't carry parts for them that they have a exchange program. You send in your sub with some money and they send you a new sub with full warranty. (Chinese disposable crap.):confused:

audiobahnkid592 said:
Finished it tongiht and it works 95% like new...coil has the slightest rub barley noticeable. so my phone took the vid so it looks and sounds like hell but here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEM15qgne-8

That's great! I am afraid of trying to rebuild my 2 L7's because I have never done it before. I should have asked you for pic's of the differn't steps you went through rebuilding them. Did you go back with tensil or regular wire to the terminals?

I bought some comps boxes that were blown this spring, some the magnets had fallen right off and mashed the VC. The glue didn't work so well. Others had wire leads and the connector on the terminals broke off, easy fix. Some were actually roasted, but they had so much stuffing in the boxes you could see the VC vents imprinted in the poly from the smoke. Now people beat the * out of these I know, but they were all made in China. Most amps are made there too. All the cheaper kits with box/subs/amp are all made there.

Itsme said:

That's great! I am afraid of trying to rebuild my 2 L7's because I have never done it before. I should have asked you for pic's of the differn't steps you went through rebuilding them. Did you go back with tensil or regular wire to the terminals?

I used the original lead wires and i was stupid and didn't take to many pics. I only reconmend this if you have plenty of time to kill. It is very time consuming.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.