Honda Odyssey Front Door Speaker Upgrade Suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello members, I have a 2005 Honda Odyssey. I am adding RAAMAT sound deadener to the inside of the front doors to help with the road noise and I would like to upgrade the door speakers while I am in there. The OEM speakers are very poor sounding. Crutchfield suggests Infinity 6022si 6 1/2" 2 way speakers . I am forced to use the original head unit because I can't afford to upgrade it.
Does anyone have any suggestions for some replacement speakers? Thanks.

Here are the speakers that Crutchfield suggests (they include the mounting adapter and wiring harness adapter)
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-FJNbF9anzrU/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=1086022si

those should be fine for a stock upgrade but they are rated at 2 ohms. some factory head units may run hot at that level unless your factory speakers are 2 or 3 ohms already as some are.
the infinitys are very sensetive and should provide plenty of output with little input power. you might do better on the price if you shop around.

Are you interested in those shallow mounts cause of the space in the doors? If so you can just get maybe get some spacers and be good to go. Not sure how much size you have as I don't have a Odyssey. If you like to stick with Infinity, Crutchfield had these also:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=52000&i=1086012I&tp=95&avf=N

They are 4 ohms and even on sale...Reg 99.99 now 59.99...

Some other good brands in there...Kenwood, Kicker, Blaupunkt, Polk, JBL...Some more pricey than the others though...

those should be fine for a stock upgrade but they are rated at 2 ohms. some factory head units may run hot at that level unless your factory speakers are 2 or 3 ohms already as some are.
the infinitys are very sensetive and should provide plenty of output with little input power. you might do better on the price if you shop around.

i didn't notice that they were the shallow ones. if you don't need the shallow ones don't get them and if you do i would say find a way to trim some material behind the speakers to fit the regular ones anyways. you will be much happier in the end. that 4ohm model looks nice for the price.

I measured the resistance of the stock speakers and they are 4 ohms. Does this mean I need to replace them with 4 ohm speakers or should I go with 2 ohm speakers?
I don't know why Crutchfield specified a shallow speaker for my van, I've got at least 4" of depth to work with, sounds like I need to go with a "non shallow" speaker.
The reviews of the Polk db650's, db651's and the Kicker speakers are very high. Would any of you recommend them?
Thanks again for all your input, it helps.

go with a 4ohm standard mount (not shallow). all of the speakers you mentioned are just fine. if you are going to run them off of the factory head unit power look for something with a high sensetivity rating at least 89 decibels and prefferably higher like the infinitys. i suggest going to your local audio shop or electronics store to demo different speakers before you decide. they will sound different in the automobile enviroment but it will at least give you some ideas of the type of sound each brand can produce. after that shop online for thew best price.;)

Car Audio

Hi,

Just a general comment on car audio systems from my personal experience. Unless you need more power, most of the head units in recent cars sound pretty good if given decent speakers.

Put another way, changing the speakers makes a greater difference than changing the head units. Likely you will be pleased with the improvement from any brand of better quality speakers.

Regards,
Greg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.